The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-02, 09:33 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Recommendations for ripping 16-bit and 24-bit to flac

You can check the bit depth/sample rate of a .wav by right clicking > properties > summary.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-02, 09:40 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Grrr.... data from the first track of my AC/DC torrent -

16-bit CDR ripped to .wav with EAC gives a .wav file of 56,786 KB, and thru TLH, I get a .flac file of 38,375 KB

24-bit CD24, .aif file of 55.4 MB, imported to audacity with all settings that I can find to 96kHz, 24-bit, then exported as .wav gives a .wav file of 85,234 KB, so looks as though we're still in 96kHz, 24-bit to this point.

(Note; I may have omitted the 24-bit settings when I did the VdG torrent - so we should probably assume that's why that one's still 16-bit)

However, the .flac file from putting this .wav through FLAC Frontend is 39,770 KB - almost the same as the 16-bit file from TLH - so it looks as though FLAC Frontend is the culprit

I'm using FLAC Frontend v. 1.7.1 - I can't find any options that allow me to specify the output file format.....

So, essentially, I'm still looking for a method to generate a 24-bit .flac from a 24-bit .wav...............

Apologies to all those who've picked up the 24-bit torrents, it appears that they're plain ol' 16-bit after all....... sorry. Will upload the genuine article once these tech issues are resolved.

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-09-02, 09:42 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Boy, is my face red..... just like the 'smilie'
Old 2007-09-02, 10:26 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The 16/44.1 .wav you get when you rip the red book audio CD is about 55 MB, but the 24/96 .aif is also about 55 MB? Are you sure you are burning 24bit/96kHz CD24s with the Alesis? Maybe you are burning 16/44.1 .aif files?

Also is .aif compressed at all? Because you are importing a 55 MB .wav, then exporting an 85 MB .wav? Maybe you are importing a 16/44.1 .wav and exporting a 16/96 .wav? Audacity will dither and truncate 24 > 16 but I don't know if it will bit expand from 16 > 24.

After you import the .aif, then export to .wav from Audacity, it is a 24/96 .wav? You can find out if it is 24/96 by right clicking > properties > summary.

FLAC Frontend will definitely not dither/truncate (convert 24 > 16) or downsample (96khz > 44.1kHz). All it does is compress losslessly.
Old 2007-09-02, 10:29 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Before you import the .aif file to Audacity, is it a 24/96 .aif? Maybe you can find out the bit depth/sample rate by right clicking > properties > summary.
Old 2007-09-02, 01:11 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
Before you import the .aif file to Audacity, is it a 24/96 .aif? Maybe you can find out the bit depth/sample rate by right clicking > properties > summary.
I'm importing the .aif to audacity straight from the CD24 created by the Alesis; so I'm 100% certain it is; place the disc in the Alesis and the display instantly shows 96k 24-bit.

I've deleted the original .wavs that I built the torrents from (just kept the .flacs), so have to repeat the process to get the details....

Right-click only gives me file size and permissions info, nothing on sample rates etc...

Regards, Graham
Old 2007-09-02, 09:25 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The bitrate of a CD quality 16bit/44.1kHz .wav is 1411.2 kbps

The bitrate of a 24bit/96kHz .wav is 4608 kbps

A 24/96 .wav will be 3.27 times the size of a 16/44.1 .wav

So if the 24/96 .aif files are uncompressed, they will be 3.27 times bigger than a .wav ripped from a red book audio CD with EAC. Even if the 24/96 .aif's are losslessly compressed, they would still be about 1.75 times bigger than a 16/44.1 .wav

Hope this helps! Don't worry, you will figure it out.
Old 2007-09-03, 08:17 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

GRC, if you are frustrated with Audacity, there are several other software programs that will get the job done much easier. Sony Soundforge (about $250 I think), Wavelab (about $600), or Adobe Audition (about $350). If you google there are $20 or $30 tools for converting formats, including .aif > .wav, but those programs have less features than the ones above. Here is a 21 day free trial of Cool Edit Pro (now called Adobe Audition):
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...load-2076.html
CEP is also handy for determining if a source is lossy or not, and I think you can use this feature even after the free trial has expired. Ask Five which program is the best value.
Old 2007-09-03, 08:28 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

There might be old versions of Goldwave out there if you google. Goldwave was free at one time I think.
Old 2007-12-23, 06:25 AM
St. Stephen
169.54 GB/1.00 TB/6.04

This thread is a bit dusty now, but I was wondering what the necessity for converting the aif files to wav is? This seems to be the only thread in Technobabble that uses the therm '.aif'.

I use flac 1.1.1 command line tool. It compresses .aif, .wav and .raw not to mention decoding to either .wav or .aif (.wav is the default).

I recently started trying to use Garage Band and it seems to only export to .aif. I recently saw a recording on the archive that is .aif -> .shn. If my flac compression program will accept .aif files is there any reason to worry about changing .aif to .wav?
Old 2007-12-23, 05:00 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthing View Post
This thread is a bit dusty now, but I was wondering what the necessity for converting the aif files to wav is? This seems to be the only thread in Technobabble that uses the therm '.aif'.
His standalone ADC/burner burned data discs in .aif format, but he has a Windows machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthing View Post
I use flac 1.1.1 command line tool. It compresses .aif, .wav and .raw not to mention decoding to either .wav or .aif (.wav is the default).

I recently started trying to use Garage Band and it seems to only export to .aif. I recently saw a recording on the archive that is .aif -> .shn. If my flac compression program will accept .aif files is there any reason to worry about changing .aif to .wav?
We were trying to figure out a simple, free way to do it without using command line. I think he was having problems with the free program Audacity. If your FLAC compression program accepts .aif, then there is no reason to convert .aif to .wav first. Everyone who has a Windows machine who decodes those FLACs (made directly from .aif's) with Trader's Little Helper or FLAC Frontend will just get .wav files.
Old 2007-12-25, 04:28 AM
St. Stephen
169.54 GB/1.00 TB/6.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular View Post
His standalone ADC/burner burned data discs in .aif format, but he has a Windows machine.

We were trying to figure out a simple, free way to do it without using command line. I think he was having problems with the free program Audacity. If your FLAC compression program accepts .aif, then there is no reason to convert .aif to .wav first. Everyone who has a Windows machine who decodes those FLACs (made directly from .aif's) with Trader's Little Helper or FLAC Frontend will just get .wav files.
:-)
Ok, Thank you. I'll go ahead and compress those .aif to .flac now.

I must have forgotten about the part where he said he couldn't use the .aif because of Windows. Somewhere along the way I started wondering why he was going to so much trouble to convert to .wav.

So Windows machines will not deal with .aif files at all? I didn't know that. Bill Gates, what a wonderful human being. The only guy who can come close is the President of Sony. ;-) (PS. Blueray could spell the end to free-ware disk burning utilities!)

The flac command line tool is soo easy, though. I don't really see any reason to avoid it. Unlike the command line version of shorten, flac 1.1.1 (and older/newer) will compress an entire directory or a list of files in a batch and you only have to remember two or three flags. I keep the command in a text file just to double check.

But, maybe Windows did away with the command prompt utility at some point.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble