The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-05-26, 12:42 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: did i get ripped off?

www.newegg.com has great prices on Verbatim discs and computer stuff in general.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-05-28, 01:37 PM
315.25 GB/0.99 TB/3.21

I hate Memeorex discs
Old 2007-05-28, 01:54 PM
1.70 TB/1.76 TB/1.04

I use printable CD discs and DVD discs ordered from Emediadepot. They also ship nonprintable discs. They have different brands. I get the Taiyo Yuden (sp?). Emediadepot has been prompt in shipping, too.

http://www.emediadepot.com/
Old 2007-05-29, 12:15 AM
1.30 TB/997.12 GB/0.75

I've learned (the hard way) not to use cheap discs. Even if they're ok after you burn them, when you come back to them later (a year or two) it seems that they don't work so well. They don't always load, or you can't access all of the data on the disc.
I've been using Verbatim DVD-Rs and they seem to be compatable with all of my equipment. Staples regularly puts them on sale for half price (about $18 for 50) and that's when I stock up. However, even though they're rated for 16x, I have to burn them slower than 8x (usually 4x) in order to make sure that the video is glitch-free.
I've also used Maxell media quite a bit, and I've had good results with it.
Old 2007-05-29, 12:33 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thought I'd post this here as well:

Just found one of the five best DVD discs ever made according to digitalfaq, Japanese Made Taiyo Yudens (YUDEN00T02) for sale here $40 for a 100 pack cake box.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiy...us-r-media.html
Old 2007-05-29, 12:35 AM
640.97 GB/2.72 TB/4.35

Maxell has been a very reliable brand for me over the years. Their cassettes were always top-notch, I've never had a problem with Maxell CDR's and the few times I've used Maxell VHS tapes, they've turned out great and still work fine.

Memorex, on the other hand, is definately a no-no . The reason they're still in buisiness is because they sell their stuff for so cheap. Well, you get what you pay for.
Old 2007-05-29, 12:53 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

The link isn't working. Look for these on www.supermediastore.com

Taiyo Yuden Shiny Silver Thermal 8X DVD+R Media in Cake Box Spindle - Free Ground Shipping

One of the 5 best evah!
Old 2007-05-29, 01:52 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

If you're using DVD-R you should switch to DVD+R if your player handles those. While DVD-R is actually an "Official" format and +R isn't, DVD+R has superior error handling abilities and in fact, that is the reason it came into being because DVD-R was inferior in that regard.
Old 2007-05-31, 01:02 AM
1.30 TB/997.12 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex
as to the dvds, get some tys, copy to hd, verify the md5s and reburn.
That's something that I'd like to know more about.
I have some DVDs which I've burned to discs, and they are no longer on my hard drive. I haven't watched all of them closely yet, but I suspect that there are glitches on them, because I probably burned them too fast.
Will copying them to the hard drive and re-burning them at a slower rate "fix" them?
If I don't have the original file, is this just as good, or does it still produce an inferior DVD, compared to burning it properly in the first place?
I've tried it once or twice, and it does seem to work. I'm thinking that maybe my DVD player cannot read the "glitched" disc properly, but the computer can, and that's why it works. Does that make sense?
I'd appreciate it if someone who knows could give me some technical advice on this.
Old 2007-05-31, 02:08 AM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by musik_maniak
That's something that I'd like to know more about.
I have some DVDs which I've burned to discs, and they are no longer on my hard drive. I haven't watched all of them closely yet, but I suspect that there are glitches on them, because I probably burned them too fast.
Will copying them to the hard drive and re-burning them at a slower rate "fix" them?
If I don't have the original file, is this just as good, or does it still produce an inferior DVD, compared to burning it properly in the first place?
I've tried it once or twice, and it does seem to work. I'm thinking that maybe my DVD player cannot read the "glitched" disc properly, but the computer can, and that's why it works. Does that make sense?
I'd appreciate it if someone who knows could give me some technical advice on this.
I think it's entirely possible, but it's difficult to say for certain, because some players have more error correction than others. I do imagine that in many cases the computer would have more robust error correction than the standalone.

Do you have md5 files on these glitched discs? If you do, and the files all check out okay, I'd say it proves your theory.
Old 2007-06-06, 12:17 AM
1.30 TB/997.12 GB/0.75

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
I think it's entirely possible, but it's difficult to say for certain, because some players have more error correction than others. I do imagine that in many cases the computer would have more robust error correction than the standalone.

Do you have md5 files on these glitched discs? If you do, and the files all check out okay, I'd say it proves your theory.
Thanks for your suggestion, spiritinaphoto.
I haven't yet worked with md5 files, but I'll check that out when I get a chance.
In the meantime, I can tell anyone who's interested, that it does seem to work.
If they "glitch" in the player, and it's the only disc you have, copy it to the pc and re-burn it at a low speed.
But use a good quality disc, as well.
Old 2007-06-11, 08:51 AM
Hello.
58.94 GB/152.37 GB/2.59

I've actually had good luck with Memorex discs, but I've noticed that any brand made by CMC Magnetics seems to have static when played in certain players of mine. Unfortunately, a thorough scouring of their web site doesn't reveal who all they make discs for, so now I use Maxell exclusively, which are made by Ritek. American Digital is a good source for media and storage. Their site is: www.am-dig.com
Old 2007-06-11, 08:55 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Ritek is 2nd or 3rd class media, according to the above website. Maxells made in Japan (manufactured by Hitachi Maxell) are 1st class, but Maxells made in Taiwan are Ritek. Same thing with Fujis. Fujis made in Japan are Taiyo Yuden (1st class), but Fujis made in Taiwan are made by Prodisc (2nd class). It says that Fujis aren't made by Taiyo Yuden anymore though.

The brand of disc isn't what is important, it is the manufacturer that is important. At the bottom of the webpage is a list of brands and their corresponding manufacturers. Japanese made Taiyo Yudens are the best, but I'd stay away from TYG03 (16X) DVD media. Among the five best according to the site are YUDEN000T02 (Taiyo Yuden, Japanese) and MXLRG02 (Hitachi Maxell, Japanese).
Old 2007-06-14, 05:03 PM
26.24 GB/99.83 GB/3.81

OP is correct, I currently have 24 blank Memorex DVDs right next to me. The 25th I flung across the room in frustration and it broke.

I've been using Best Buy's generic brand Dynex and they've never given me a problem or complaints from other traders. The Best Buy nearest to me only sells Dynex and Memorex a lot of the time, and the Sonys they sell from time to time are $10 more expensive. Memorex is out of the question now, so all that's left is Dynex.

http://db.etree.org/salva%20veritate

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble