The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-10, 05:38 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

Question about seeding...

HEY!

I'm currently seeding a DVD and I have two options:

1. Seed from one computer @ 20 kB/s

2. Seed from two computer @ 10 kB/s each

Is either one of these situations better than the other?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-10, 05:50 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Question about seeding...

It doesn't help to seed from two separate computers in your home. In fact, the best thing to do is seed from one computer in Super Seed mode. Super Seed mode will get the files out much faster than in regular seeding mode.

Old 2005-02-10, 05:55 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

That's good to know, because right now, I'm doing #2.
Old 2005-02-10, 06:01 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

Are you familiar with Azerous?
Old 2005-02-10, 06:16 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yep. I used to use it all the time. Are you wanting help with Super Seeding?

Stop Seeding. Then go to Options > Queue > Seeding and check Use Super Seeding then go Force Start your torrent again. Hopefully you have Use Fast Resume on (Options > Files) and it should start right back up and say Super-Seeding in the Status column of your My Torrents box.

Old 2005-02-10, 06:23 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

It's scary how you read my mind. I actually have always had "Use Super Seeding" checked since I configured Az after I installed it. But it doesn't say Super Seeding on the torrent list. I'll go try your fix.
Old 2005-02-10, 06:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, I noticed that someone else (besides your two) is seeding. If that is the case, then Azureus will go out of Super-Seed Mode. SS Mode should really only be used when there is one seeder.

About Super-Seed Mode

Old 2005-02-10, 06:32 PM
Beastly Designs
199.49 GB/218.37 GB/1.09

Gotcha. Yeah, there is another seeder who got the DVD. I'll leave super seed off then since it's obviously better to have multiple seeds than just me super seeding.
Old 2005-02-10, 06:49 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Leave it on. Azureus will see that there is another seeder and will automatically take you out of SS Mode. But, the next time you go to seed a show and you are the only seeder, it will put you in SS Mode, which is usually good.

Old 2005-05-06, 04:18 PM
mackinac
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question about super-seeding...

I figured I'd just ask my question about super-seeding in this topic instead of starting a new one... I hope it's not inappropriate.

I've read a comment by an uploader here that super-seeding mode will cause their upload speed to slow down if there are only a few leechers (in the beginning) and they are not sharing effectively with the swarm.

My experience with, and understanding of, super-seeding mode is that it seeks to prevent the distribution of redundant data, and has no (intended) impact on upload rate. So I'm curious as to how this unintentional side effect might actually come about. How can the piece distribution within the swarm have an impact on the uploader's rate? Is there a potential slow-down due to extra time needed to determine what pieces to send, or what?

Thanks!
Old 2005-05-09, 07:14 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Re: Question about super-seeding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac
I figured I'd just ask my question about super-seeding in this topic instead of starting a new one... I hope it's not inappropriate.

I've read a comment by an uploader here that super-seeding mode will cause their upload speed to slow down if there are only a few leechers (in the beginning) and they are not sharing effectively with the swarm.

My experience with, and understanding of, super-seeding mode is that it seeks to prevent the distribution of redundant data, and has no (intended) impact on upload rate. So I'm curious as to how this unintentional side effect might actually come about. How can the piece distribution within the swarm have an impact on the uploader's rate? Is there a potential slow-down due to extra time needed to determine what pieces to send, or what?

Thanks!
Any one ever use PDTP
from http://www.bittornado.com/docs/superseed.txt

The super-seed feature in S-5.5 and on is a new seeding algorithm designed to help
a torrent initiator with limited bandwidth "pump up" a large torrent, reducing the
amount of data it needs to upload in order to spawn new seeds in the torrent.

When a seeding client enters "super-seed mode", it will not act as a standard seed,
but masquerades as a normal client with no data. As clients connect, it will then
inform them that it received a piece -- a piece that was never sent, or if all
pieces were already sent, is very rare. This will induce the client to attempt to
download only that piece.

When the client has finished downloading the piece, the seed will not inform it of
any other pieces until it has seen the piece it had sent previously present on at
least one other client. Until then, the client will not have access to any of the
other pieces of the seed, and therefore will not waste the seed's bandwidth.

This method has resulted in much higher seeding efficiencies, by both inducing
peers into taking only the rarest data, reducing the amount of redundant data sent,
and limiting the amount of data sent to peers which do not contribute to the swarm.
Prior to this, a seed might have to upload 150% to 200% of the total size of a
torrent before other clients became seeds. However, a large torrent seeded with a
single client running in super-seed mode was able to do so after only uploading
105% of the data. This is 150-200% more efficient than when using a standard seed.

Super-seed mode is *NOT* recommended for general use. While it does assist in the
wider distribution of rare data, because it limits the selection of pieces a
client can downlad, it also limits the ability of those clients to download data
for pieces they have already partially retrieved. Therefore, super-seed mode is
only recommended for initial seeding servers.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble