The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-17, 01:48 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Re: DVD Out Of Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Why's that? It's the best way to shrink a DVD just enough and make it DVD compliant that I know of.

I do NOT condone re-encoding, but in the case where the disc is slightly out-of-spec like this, I think it's a good thing to do.

By the way, TMpgenc is a reasonable name I think. The name is T and it's an MPG ENCoder. OK, so it's not as nice as some others, but it's not totally unintelligible.
I know DVDShrink is free, but tests have shown that it makes an inferior quality picture when compared to a similar program Pinnacle when making the same size output. Also, they're sort of the consumer level stuff where as TMPGEnc or Cannopus are more for the fanatical types who are really into that. And what ssamadhi said too.

Regarding screwy names, I just can't ever remember how the letters go. In my mind I say "temp encode", but now that you put it that way maybe it'll stick.

Oh and katnapz... vee have vays of making you talk.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-17, 12:57 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamadhi97
katnapz:

Try downloading dvd patcher and use it to patch the max bitrate stored in headers to 8.0MBit

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=154#comments

Doing this should be enough to be able to burn the dvd and watch it without any problems. maybe make a backup copy of the video_ts folder on your harddisk, patch and see what you can come up with. Let us know how it turns out.

And finally tell us whatcha got, ffs
Thanks for the heads up on this program. I never would've realized from reading the description that it does anything like you mention. I'm guessing the end result output is the same structure/vobs?
I'm going to try both this program as well as DVD Shrink over the weekend (now that I'll have a bit more time to play) and just link into them both through the computer in my living room....that way I can just A/B them on a big screen tv without having to burn them first. I'll definately post an update in here to let you know how they compare (and also how user friendly DVD Patcher is for the those with a big learning curve. I've experimented with compressing in DVD Shrink, just to see how it works, but never really checked out the results.

Thanks to you and RainDawg for the suggestions....just haven't had time to really dig into them yet.
Old 2004-12-17, 01:01 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Now why did you give our little secret away feralicious? Thought it was between us and the cheap hotels we meet at.
...but now that you did,...oh baby!,...you know what I like!

Just remember, I get a turn tooooo!
Attached Images
File Type: gif spank.gif
( 8.7 KB, 122 views)

Old 2004-12-17, 01:23 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Which DVD is it? In case I have it sitting on my drive waiting for me to burn coasters.
Quote:
And what was the DVD? Don't keep me in suspense! I beg you!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamadhi97
And finally tell us whatcha got, ffs
Quote:
OMFG JUST TELL US WHAT DVD IT IS FFS!!!

Must be either pr0n or Back Street Boys...

Old 2004-12-17, 05:03 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
OMFG JUST TELL US WHAT DVD IT IS FFS!!!
Wow!,...do you make noises like a chipmunk when you get excited?

No, no pr0n,...just boring Van Morrison. A collection called "As we Sail Into The Music."

Does this mean you won't speak to me anymore? ...don't leave me now...
Old 2004-12-17, 08:18 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Finally! Phew!

Old 2004-12-18, 11:08 AM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Re: Copying a DVD with a VIDEO_RM folder

Wow, what a learning experience this was...only slightly painful and I'm very glad that the rewritable DVD was invented or I'd be a lot poorer.

Hate to say this, but the disc(s) I got would not play consistantly for me. The one that still had the video_rm folder on it had the most problems, but at least the one you redid was seen by my standalone when on the menus, but would freeze up when trying to actually play the show.

Anyways, I tried a couple different ways to "fix" either disc and won't go into the multiple attempts that failed...

...other than I couldn't even get DVD Shrink to successfully open either...

...what did finally work is this:

-Ripped the video_ts folder over from the first disc you sent me (the one that still had the video_rm folder on it) using DVDCrypter with the instructions in this thread: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/t218724.html

-After ripping the vobs, I wasn't able to get Nero/DVD Shrink/DVDCrypter to successfully load them for a burn...I then found out that the IFO(s) weren't ripped, so I tried copying them from the original video_ts folder on the disc, and then got a message about the file structure being messed up. Doing some reading it sounds like the standalone that created this disc creates a "bad" IFO (something about it duplicating the pointers to the files?) Tried IFOEdit,...and gave up on that about five minutes later as something that I can go back to if I ever want to learn more than I need to know at this point...

-I decided to use TMPEC DVD Author to just redo the entire disc from scratch. I read in a different thread that vobs, that have been ripped in the way that I did, sometimes have "pauses" in the final output where the vobs are joined on the DVD, I used this program (http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php) to join all the vobs into one big one.

-I loaded this one vob into TMPEC DVD Author, set new chapter marks, new menu, output everything and then burned off a disc. Loaded it into my standalone player...success!....tried it on a couple computers as well as two DVD players at a friends house with no hitches.

I did an A/B comparison between the disc I made and the vobs I received on the original disc (used WInDVD to play them through my bigscreen) and can't see any differences between the two, so I'm gonna call this a winner for me. I could go back and try to make the menus a bit nicer,..but, ah, they work 'cause I can get to where I need.

Might not work for everyone in every situation, and if the original DVD had been authored in a professional style I may have tried something different to keep all those bells and whistles but in this case it worked out better as I was able to insert my own chapters where I wanted them.

...it's bad juju how a standalone can create such a messed up disc....I couldn't get one of my computers to even recognize the disc when it was in the drive.

Bluesky22 - this certainly isn't a dig at you and I hope this helps you copy any other discs you have that are similiar. I've never dealt with a DVD like this before so it's a good learning experience (at least that's what I tell myself).
I'm certainly enjoying the show now that I'm able to watch it easily. Thanks for sending it my way
Old 2004-12-18, 08:11 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
Tried IFOEdit,...and gave up on that about five minutes later as something that I can go back to if I ever want to learn more than I need to know at this point...
you really should try it again it's a real good tool to check a d/l dvd before trying to burn it. It does have a barebones interface that isn't real intuitive but I have found the basics helpful and need to investigate some of the features a bit more

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2004-12-18, 09:54 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
you really should try it again it's a real good tool to check a d/l dvd before trying to burn it. It does have a barebones interface that isn't real intuitive but I have found the basics helpful and need to investigate some of the features a bit more
I realize this is probably a question with a simple answer (i.e., go to videohelp.com), but do you have a link that breaks down the features and how to use them? (have pity on my feeble mind before you point me at one of those "advance user" sites)
It does look interesting, but I only see a bunch of text that makes me go And would you mind expanding on your comment about using it to check out dvds? What can it check and if it finds something messed up, how simple does it explain the problem and can it fix that problem?

...as you see, a KISS overview would be helpful
(KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid,...although I've heard some people use it towards the band )

Thanks!

BTW, would IFOEdit have been able to fix the problem created by that standalone burner? Would've made my life simplier for a couple hours.
Old 2004-12-19, 07:16 AM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
I used this program (http://www.peretek.com/sfj.php) to join all the vobs into one big one.
Correction, I just figured out that you can DVD Decrypter to rip one big vob so this step can be dropped...
Old 2004-12-21, 06:13 PM
13.61 GB/38.48 GB/2.83

Cyclical Redundancy Error

I'm trying to copy a DVD and keep getting errors.
I first tried doing just a straight Disc to Disc copy, but that didn't work, tried that on four PC's. Then tried using decryptor to transfer the files to my HD so I could just burn it from there. I get 248,512 kb into the final VOB and it gives me the above error. The disc is clean, not too badly scratched, no finger prints.
Any ideas?
Thanks
-Tim

Don't just start encoding all your old VHS to DVD, check to see if there is a better source out there.
Old 2004-12-21, 06:22 PM
squalldog
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Cyclical Redundancy Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN
I'm trying to copy a DVD and keep getting errors.
I first tried doing just a straight Disc to Disc copy, but that didn't work, tried that on four PC's. Then tried using decryptor to transfer the files to my HD so I could just burn it from there. I get 248,512 kb into the final VOB and it gives me the above error. The disc is clean, not too badly scratched, no finger prints.
Any ideas?
Thanks
-Tim
I've only had that problem when the disc was either scratched or not clean. You should resurface the disc...I was actually reading about a new solution for cleaning cds with some solution, cant remember what though. If I find the link I will post it. Otherwise use something to resurface the disc and it should work.

Edit: I found the link:
http://home-12.tiscali-business.nl/~.../restorecd.htm

Has anyone tried that method for cleaning cds and what about dvds? It says not to try it with cd-rs.
Old 2004-12-21, 08:06 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

maybe try using a program like Arrowkey CD/DVD Inspector to salvage data from the dvd instead

(at least give it a try before running the risk of destroying the dvd in a resurfacing attempt )
Old 2004-12-21, 08:42 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I've been getting a few of these lately...the DVDs have been babied, sitting in a jewel case since they were burned. They all verified upon completion of the burning process. I can only conclude that DVD discs begin to degrade very rapidly, cauing the data to be unreadable.

I've begun burning my discs with par2 recovery files to correct for these seemingly unavoidable errors.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2004-12-21, 08:51 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

I've been relying heavily on DVDRs lately as a means of archiving shows, and it has always been a threat in the back of my mind that I will lose scores of shows if the discs start to go bad.

Can you post a link to any guides on par2 recovery? I've only had one experience of it, but that was quite some time ago.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble