The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-06-14, 12:43 PM
fade on the downbeat
56.75 GB/125.05 GB/2.20

Re: Does poor ratio equate bad trader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader Dave
I think i would lose my hard on for Chachi if he ever stopped acting like a little bitch. Here's to that hot little Bitch.

You are soooooooooooo bad. I think you need to be
Above all, recognize that everything you know is a flat-out lie or is only relatively true in certain restricted and unpleasant situations. ~ Robert Hunter
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-14, 12:47 PM
Sleeping Colorless Green Ideas
TTD VIP
411.55 GB/18.82 TB/46.84

Re: BAD trader, Liar= Ragu420 Ragu421 whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
"If you're ratio is less than 1.0, then you are stealing from the TTD community" ~Chachi420
Chachi (DL 4.28 GB - UL 564.49 GB - ration 131.97),

Conversely, if you're share ratio is over 1:1 you are making it impossible for someone out there to have a ratio above 1:1. And since you've uploaded 560 gigs more than you've downloaded - that's 560 gigs that someone else couldn't upload - because you hogged the upload pipe.

You are literally responsible for several dozen sub 1:1 SRs here at TTD.

For obvious reasons, I am guilty of the same thing. But I NEVER bitch about share ratios. I've got a fat pipe (max upload is 11 megs/sec) and I gladly use it t give out terabytes of music. I download as much as I reasonably expect I can listen/watch, but obviously, I can't even begin to download enough to match my upload capability.

I say just feel fortunate that you've got a fat pipe that allows you to share the jams and don't worry about others.

Side Note to Lynne: Is there anyway I can donate 50 or 100 GB chunks of my share ratio to people in need? I damn sure don't need but a tiny fraction of what I've accumulated.

Randy
Old 2006-06-14, 01:15 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Stallion DVDs
Conversely, if you're share ratio is over 1:1 you are making it impossible for someone out there to have a ratio above 1:1. And since you've uploaded 560 gigs more than you've downloaded - that's 560 gigs that someone else couldn't upload - because you hogged the upload pipe.

You are literally responsible for several dozen sub 1:1 SRs here at TTD.
gotta disagree w/ that one Randy...im in that same boat as chachi. Notice i dont download anything. I acquire everything thru the mail and download a show once in awhile over at Dime, but all of my Uploaded gigs have come from me seeding shows here. In order for everyone else to get it, someone's gotta upload it first, correct? Granted, i have stayed on a few torrents when i left for the weekend, but...

IMO, the two have nothing to do with each other as far as a gaurantee of the type of person you're dealing with. I've traded with a couple peeps on here with bad ratio's and the trade went off without a hitch...
One's ratio or internet sharing ability has nothing to do with who or how they are as a snail mail trader. (though it seems the peeps that have bad ratings or are accused of ripping someone off in a snailmail, have poor ratios).

The only thing i've noticed and bothers me about the 'raito'...the people who dont grasp the concept "you cant download everything" (it appears from mild observation, the people that are capped at 10-15 kbs are the ones who hop on every single torrent that gets seeded) Alot of us are already paying taxes for the USPS, utilize them, they're cheap. In the time it takes me to download 1 dvd, i can burn 10...economics and time maximization bitches

Last edited by retired; 2006-06-14 at 01:20 PM.
Old 2006-06-14, 03:06 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi420
If everyone had poor ratios like your 0.3 then I guarantee you this site would not still be around.

Just like it is not possible for everyone to have a ratio of 1.0 or higher (as you stated in another post), it is not possible for everyone to have a ratio of 0.3 or any other number below 1.0
Old 2006-06-14, 03:11 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndiotta
Cathy Liebchen ...I often wonder what became of her Judy...man she had the wealth of a phenomenal collection and shared it so freely !!

You know, I appreciated her efforts but.....at least half of the Led Zep vines I was on were fucked up when I received them. Files/tracks missing, two disc ones, instead of a disc one and a disc two, etc. Maybe I was just unlucky.
Old 2006-06-14, 03:21 PM
389.16 GB/867.01 GB/2.23

dennis i remember reading on a site where someone had seeded stuff and someone down the line had kept the original disc and sent on something different, keeping the taiyo or fuji's and sending on cheap media. might be the case, might not. I only had one issue with a disc she sent and that was the private party mule show. with that, it wasn't problems with the files it was the md5 being messed up, it was odd but fixable.
Old 2006-06-14, 03:22 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson
dennis i remember reading on a site where someone had seeded stuff and someone down the line had kept the original disc and sent on something different, keeping the taiyo or fuji's and sending on cheap media. might be the case, might not. I only had one issue with a disc she sent and that was the private party mule show. with that, it wasn't problems with the files it was the md5 being messed up, it was odd but fixable.
Like I said, maybe I was just unlucky.
Old 2006-06-14, 04:00 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
Just like it is not possible for everyone to have a ratio of 1.0 or higher (as you stated in another post), it is not possible for everyone to have a ratio of 0.3 or any other number below 1.0
If everyone tried for a ratio of 1 or higher, it would be hard for that to happen. But I think we all aggree that there is no shortage of people downloading things that need someone to upload to them. That comes from the fact there are alot of leechers out there. I know not all will stop leeching, but there is plenty of uploading to do that any of those leechers could do.

And no, the guy who uploaded 500GB is not hurting the community by taking away uploading from others.
Old 2006-06-14, 04:18 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequence
And no, the guy who uploaded 500GB is not hurting the community by taking away uploading from others.
Hurting it, no. But he is taking the onus away from others to continue sharing, in the same way that someone who had downloaded 500 GB more than he had uploaded is placing an onus on others to make up the difference.

You can argue it however you like but the simple math of it is that for each bit downloaded there is one bit uploaded, no more, no less. If a high percentage of the total upload on a torrent all comes from one person, then yes he does limit the amount the other people on the torrent can upload.

Example - one torrent, 1 GB in size, 12 leechers. If the person who torrents it has a fast upload connection and decides to stay on until he uploads 10 GBs, that leaves only 2 total GBs of upload left to be shared among the 12 leechers. What kind of ratio do you think they will end up with?
Old 2006-06-14, 04:36 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
that leaves only 2 total GBs of upload left to be shared among the 12 leechers.
Yes, if only twelve people are going to download it. I havnt made a torrent that had only 12 downloads though. On the site I upload torrents to, my least downloaded torrent was 121 downloads and my most is 12,545. The others are in between, mostly in the couple thousands though.

If each person downloading that torrent only uploads 0.3 of it, it will be dead fast, even with the 10GB from the original uploader. Especially on trading sites like this where it is often only 10 or less seeders and leechers, you not uploading some parts of a torrent means someone else misses out on it. And that is a chain reaction - the potential downloader cant seed to someone else who wants it also, and same for that person.
Old 2006-06-14, 04:53 PM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequence
Yes, if only twelve people are going to download it. I havnt made a torrent that had only 12 downloads though. On the site I upload torrents to, my least downloaded torrent was 121 downloads and my most is 12,545. The others are in between, mostly in the couple thousands though.

If each person downloading that torrent only uploads 0.3 of it, it will be dead fast, even with the 10GB from the original uploader. Especially on trading sites like this where it is often only 10 or less seeders and leechers, you not uploading some parts of a torrent means someone else misses out on it. And that is a chain reaction - the potential downloader cant seed to someone else who wants it also, and same for that person.
Sure, my example was a bit extreme. But on THIS site - which is the one we are talking about - there is no way to get 12,000 people on one torrent (and I would like to know what the fuck that was! ). In fact, 12 people is closer to fact than 120 on a number of torrents I've downloaded here. My point being that one person uploading a large amount on a specific torrent CAN/DOES have an affect on the amount others can upload on that torrent. There isn't an infinite amount available.
Old 2006-06-14, 05:48 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
I agree on both points. It is not possible for everyone to have a ratio greater than 1.0, that's why it's almost impossible to determine what is an appropriate number for a ratio enforcement.

The main thing that aggrevates me is when people totally abuse the system by never stopping the downloads to let it just sit and upload for a little while. Also, it annoys me when somone dl at 500kbps and then drops off a torrent after they dl it, leaving the original seeder to continue seeding alone. If that first person who completed stays on to help seed, then things go much faster. That type of leecher causes the seeder a lot of extra time to get the torrent fully seeded.

I understand that torrents die because of lack of interest etc, but it is a shame when torrents die due to leechers dropping off like flies. I'm glad Lynne added in the list of people who completed the torrent so we will know who are the ones to run.

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-06-14, 06:15 PM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Ok, I just did a quick calculation for those of you who feel that a chronic seeder ruins everyone elses ratios...

For example, the p&f torrent I'm currently seeding right now is 7.71 GB and there are 36 leechers. I typically ul only enough to get the torrent seeded so I can then move on to upload another show. So I will assume in this example that I only upload 7.71 GB (which isn't really a bad assumption considering just about every torrent I seed I only seed just enough to get it fully seeded).

Ok,
7.71GB x 36 leechers = 277.56GB need to be uploaded in total
277.56GB total - 7.71 GB seeded by the original seeder = 269.85 GB need to be ul by the leechers
Assuming each leacher will ul equally,
269.85GB / 36 leechers = 7.50 GB per leecher
Since eacher leecher originally dl 7.71 GB and ul 7.50 GB, the ratio is 0.973 ratio.

Following the same calculation for 100 leechers the ratios will come out to 0.99, and the ratio approaches 1.0 with even more leechers.

So, TAKE THAT you nasty leechers with ratios less than 0.90 (which is now the number I think is minimum for satisfactory leeching, though with something like 16,000 users, there is absolutely no excuse for people to have 0.99 ratios!)

"If your share ratio is less than 1.0, then please offer b&ps and/or freebies to give back to the TTD community" ~Chachi
Old 2006-06-14, 07:09 PM
Giver of Zero Fucks
76.15 GB/132.64 GB/1.74

Since it is not enforced, this is officially the silliest thread ever...
Old 2006-06-14, 09:01 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
Since it is not enforced, this is officially the silliest thread ever...
So the fact that TTD doesent enforce ratios means that a poor ratio doesent equal a bad trader?

I dont get your reasoning behind that o_O

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions