The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2005-10-12, 06:01 PM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

2 Broadcast sources

The attached pic shows 2 different sources of U21993-08-28.
Both are direct from Silvers and are broadcast sources (hence the drop off at 15000).
Does anybody know if the top or bottom source is 'better'?? Ive never seen the split like that before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1993-08-28.jpg
( 544.2 KB, 54 views)

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-17, 10:49 AM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

Re: 2 Broadcast sources

bump...

can anybody help me with this?? Im thinking the one on top is better since at least one channel (correct term) stays up higher... Is this true??
Old 2005-10-17, 11:06 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

not necessarily...its really hard to say which is better without my most accurate analysis tool, my ears "better" is a subjective term anyway, unlike spotting lossiness etc.

i would choose a few different sections in the show for comparison, and give em a good listen, preferrably on a decent pair of headphones...thats about all i can tell ya tho.

also, if you notice, yer comparing to different sections of the song, which makes comparison with freq analysis moot...
Old 2005-10-17, 11:16 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

if you want to upload samples we can give you some opinions... like aar says, listening is best

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-10-17, 11:19 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Maybe Five will wander in here and help out. He's good at this stuff. I'm going to also move this to the Lossy or Lossless forum because that is where we usually look at FA and SA.

I have three sources for this show also. Two are from different silvers (but seem to be exactly the same) and the other is the Westwood One version (my favorite of the three).

Old 2005-10-17, 11:24 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

(wanders in)

I'd put my money on the WWO

Quote:
Old 2005-10-17, 11:32 AM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

the WWO is the original source, I believe since all the silvers are clearly post broadcast. Lynne, is the show on the WWO talked over at all, or is the DJ only talking during the intro?? Could you seed that here if its a clean?? Either with the intro if that stuff can be shared here or just the show itself (If I remember correctly, the WWO version is 3 discs due to the intro stuff).

Ive heard as many silver sources as I could find for this show. I think Ive heard 5 or 6 and the top one was the 1st time that the tracks didnt match exactly (including the song split locations). The top one also splits the 2 discs between Bad and Bullet with fades. These songs were played seemlessly so its a tough spot to split the discs and the fades fade out music.

thanks for the help, I'll work on samples
Old 2005-10-17, 11:52 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

This is the WWO version I have of that show: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/setli...93-08-28WO.txt I got it when it originally got 'released' a few years ago. I thought I had seeded it before, but maybe that was back at STG.

Old 2005-10-17, 12:21 PM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

OK, thanks for the info and the replies. Lynne you dont have to post the WWO on my account. Im trying to get away from all of those edits and make a complete set of the show with intro and confessions and outtro. All minor edits, but its become a pet project of mine.
Im attaching samples of different songs, a quiet one (RUnning to Stand Still) and a loud one (Bullet the Blue Sky). 'bottom source' and 'top source' refer to the pic above.

FYI, the top source is the Silver Zooropa 93 and the bottom source is the Live Storm Silver.

The 2 options I have:
1, if the top source is better, we're stuck with the bad disc switch unless you use inferior bottom source to fill in the fades
or
2, if the bottom source is better I will use the confessions (the only thing missing from the bottom source) from the top source because this stuff was played over the PA and isnt as clear as the music anyway and the 2 sources are close enough for this part, IMO.
Old 2005-10-17, 01:12 PM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

I keep getting an error when I try to attach the 15 second FLAC samples...I'll get them up eventually.

Thanks again for the help
Old 2005-10-17, 01:33 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yep, I see those errors in my mailbox. LOL

I'm wondering if I need to increase the charsize in the database. I know that flac files are allowed to be posted and the size should allow you to do so, but let me look into maybe increasing the database size.

If worse comes to worse, I'm sure you can always just email to Five or even myself and I can upload them to the TTD server and place a link here.

Old 2005-10-17, 01:42 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Could you post the exact error message you are getting? I'm looking into this on the vB site and there are a couple of things this problem could be and each has a different solution.

Old 2005-10-17, 01:47 PM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

The files (Ive tried more than 1 at different times) are all less than 2 MBs (I tried to upload a longer 3.5 MB sample and that got kicked back to me for being too big).

after it tries to upload the file for a bit (Im doing one at a time) the smaller 'manage attachments' window says:

There seems to have been a slight problem with the The Traders' Den database.
Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
Old 2005-10-17, 05:07 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

okay in the meantime you can just use yousendit.com or rapidshare.de

post the link here

you can also email me [email protected]

Quote:
Old 2005-10-18, 08:43 AM
631.61 MB/8.50 GB/13.78

Running To Stand Still, top source

http://s53.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...E3EKIFQ46NHWWP

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?