The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-28, 01:09 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Re: Is it a noticable difference (VHS Question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
if I transfered the vhs to a MiniDV would that produce LPCM audio?
if it supports the format, most have AC3 only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
I just figured the LP mode would be best so I could fit it all onto one tape.
LP = low(est) bitrate, I think that most standalone have it well below 3000 kbps average. So, on larger TV screen you will see compression artefacts.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-28, 01:31 PM
TTD VIP
462.92 GB/322.15 GB/0.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
if it supports the format, most have AC3 only....

wrong. MiniDV always supports LPCM. just make sure the audio setting is at 16bit/48khz not the more bad 12bit/32khz.

also a lot stand alone recorders support LPCM in XP/60min mode.
so if you have a show less than ca. 60min a stand alone-transfer in XP/modus is the easiest to do, no need to go down in SP/120min modus cause the blank has the space and you will get less artifactacts in XP than in SP modus.

now if you even have access to a Dual Layer stand alone recorder you can XP-record up to 120min high quality.
Old 2007-10-28, 04:04 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limulus
wrong. MiniDV always supports LPCM. just make sure the audio setting is at 16bit/48khz not the more bad 12bit/32khz.

also a lot stand alone recorders support LPCM in XP/60min mode.
so if you have a show less than ca. 60min a stand alone-transfer in XP/modus is the easiest to do, no need to go down in SP/120min modus cause the blank has the space and you will get less artifactacts in XP than in SP modus.

now if you even have access to a Dual Layer stand alone recorder you can XP-record up to 120min high quality.
This is the standalone recorder my step-dad has

http://us.lge.com/products/model/detail/tv|audio|video___LRY-517.jhtml

It supports Dual Layer
Old 2007-10-28, 04:45 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

specs for the LG LRY-517
Quote:
Additional features of the LRY-517 include: Built-in NTSC tuner for recording television programming, DVD-to-VHS and VHS-to-DVD dubbing for non-copyprotected video content, 27MHz/10-bit video digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion; 192kHz/24-bit audio digital-to-analog (D/A) conversion, Black level adjustment..

Video recording format
Sampling frequency: 27MHz
Compression format: MPEG 2

Audio recording format
Sampling frequency: 48kHz, 96kHz
Compression format: Dolby Digital
to my limited understanding - the video capture is never an issue because of the VHS resolution limitation.
audio is the only variable on a standalone recorder.

from a spec standpoint - Id go for it.
I'm not a video expert by any means & if I were transferring a bunch of VHS tapes - would probably opt for this type of standalone solution.

I'm also curious what others would say.
other than 'you can do whatever you want in a computer' - that goes without saying.
Old 2007-10-28, 06:15 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Does it make a difference if the Standalone dvd recorder/vhs combo unit is plugged into the tv via an RF thing as opposed to the A/V plugs? I'd assume no since it's all on the same unit and the RF to A/V might just make the picture on the tv come in better but the actual vhs to dvd transfer wouldn't be affected by the input since it's all on the same piece of hardware. I just wanted to be sure though lol.
Old 2007-10-28, 06:45 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

considering this isn't some rare VHS recording thats gonna be collected by huge numbers, and is just for your personal use, just do a straight VHS > DVD transfer...the TV plugin has no effect conidering yer goin from a VHS tape to the recorder...

as for whether or not you go to DVD5 or DVD9, depends on how important video quality is to you [there will be some difference but not what i'd call a drastic change in quality]...pretty sure that recorder will author to ac3 instead of LPCM, but again for your purposes it doesn't really matte [you might be able to change that manually]

**note that that particular dvd recorder will only author to +R dual layer discs
Old 2007-10-28, 07:10 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

It's very rare, but I'm not gonna be letting it out, the guy would be mad among other things. Thanks for the info. I will probably do DVD9 just to the best that the dvd recorder can. Going through the settings I noticed stuff had PCM or bitrate for options but I didn't get to check yet to see if that was for playback or recording yet.
Old 2007-10-28, 08:05 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

I just tried out the recorder using a DVD+R disc, finalized it and it plays fine on the recorder and my regular standalone dvd player but when I put it into my computer, it like locks up and can't read it If it helps I noticed the menu for the dvd says "DVD+VR".

Edit: I noticed there is a VR and Video mode for recording but I can't figure out really how to set which method it records in. The manual doesn't really state how to set which method you record as, but that VR mode doesn't work with all players but Video mode does, which is what I need to be recording in.

Last edited by kidrocklive; 2007-10-28 at 08:13 PM.
Old 2007-10-29, 04:26 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
specs for the LG LRY-517

to my limited understanding - the video capture is never an issue because of the VHS resolution limitation.
audio is the only variable on a standalone recorder.

from a spec standpoint - Id go for it.
I'm not a video expert by any means & if I were transferring a bunch of VHS tapes - would probably opt for this type of standalone solution.

I'm also curious what others would say.
other than 'you can do whatever you want in a computer' - that goes without saying.

1st 1 to reply correctly chap

--------------------------------------------

Standalones are fine for VHS,use S-VHS output on your VCR NOT Scart RGB

Standalones CAN have adjustable bitrates....you pay for what you get!

and what was the other one....
ah yes,VR is better for editing purposes on the standalone,quality difference is minimal.
Some authoring programmes will import VR directly,but you will be ok to DvD-Video them.DvD-Video is Standard and will play on all DVD SA's when you have finalized the disc.
Choose HQ 1hour recording to record if you choose not to Dual Layer them...you'll have to split the file in the copy to disc menu in the SA,then use 2 discs.

K_K
Old 2007-10-29, 09:39 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

split the file in the copy to disc menu? That standalone doesn't have a hard drive so anything I record goes on the disc as I record it. VR mode seems to be useless to me since it won't work in my pc drive, which sucks since I was going to use the DVD+R Dual Layer disc to get the full show in XP quality without having to use 2 discs. There doesn't seem to be a way to do video mode unless I use a DVD-R which doesn't support DL discs.
Old 2007-10-30, 06:28 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Ahh ,no built in job(never looked at the standalone you gave).
OK no biggie.You say that it locks up in your PC DVD Drive?
Go to here
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
and see if there is a newer version of the firmware for your drive.If there is...update it and then try.

I'll be back

K_K
Old 2007-10-30, 07:23 AM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
Ahh ,no built in job(never looked at the standalone you gave).
OK no biggie.You say that it locks up in your PC DVD Drive?
Go to here
http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php
and see if there is a newer version of the firmware for your drive.If there is...update it and then try.

I'll be back

K_K
I did the update on my DVD Drive (LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1693S) but it still doesn't read it. DVD Shrink has it come up as no disc, other programs like IsoBuster and DVDFab Decrypter don't work either. Under My Computer the drives icon changes to show that there is a disc in the drive but you can't do anything with it (it did this before the firmware update too though). I don't know if it's just the media I am using (Dynex) or if it's my actual drive. I have used the Dynex stuff before though on regular DVD+R and DVD+R DL. They worked fine so I wouldn't blame the media personally.
Old 2007-10-30, 07:49 AM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

You say that your PC says that there is a disc there yes?.......just programmes cant see it?

OK
My Computer>DvD Drive> Right Click>Explore.

Does your Drive open to reveal the files/folders on the disc?
If so,drag and drop them(folders included) to the desktop...or a folder you make somewhere.

Working??

K_K
Old 2007-10-30, 09:10 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
You say that your PC says that there is a disc there yes?.......just programmes cant see it?

OK
My Computer>DvD Drive> Right Click>Explore.

Does your Drive open to reveal the files/folders on the disc?
If so,drag and drop them(folders included) to the desktop...or a folder you make somewhere.

Working??

K_K
I tried that, I can't even right click on the drive because it locks up when I do making me have to open up the task manager in order to close the 'My Computer' window. What I meant by the icon changing is normally the drive icon without a disc in the drive just shows a picture of a drive, after I put the disc in, it shows a disc as the icon with the label DVD-ROM since a disc is in the drive but I can't do anything at all with it.

Here's a picture to show what I mean by the icon thing.

Old 2007-10-30, 10:00 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

ok, so your computer DVD drive isnt DVD-VR compatible.
i think you owe us a copy at this point.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble