The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-04, 10:56 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Seeding/Lineage Questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlifter
I'd like to know why something like this: SHN > WAV > FLAC is allowed here. I realize it's no loss of quality but why are people allowed to upload such things when the original is what currently circulates.

Why put yet another form of compression into the pool?
Flac is smaller in size and is actually the preferred type of lossless file type for many people. But, this is one of the reasons why we ask for shntool md5s (st5) to be provided with shn/ape files. An st5 fingerprint will be the same as a flac fingerprint. So, if you had a show in shn and you had the st5 for it, if it was converted to flac you would easily be able to see right away if it's the same show just by comparing the fingerprints.

edit: I wanted to add.... shn > wav > flac > wav > shn etc will always produce the same wav file throughout the convertion (as long as we aren't talking about burning the wav to CDR and then extracting the wav from the CDR at all in there). They are all *lossless* files. st5 and ffp will simply help you tell right away that they are from the same source file.

And, speaking as a Mac user, I prefer flac to use in my 'player', cog. cog doesn't play shn files very well and macAmp is no longer supported and is very glitchy at times. And, I know of no Mac player that allows you to play shn seek tables (they barf on them). So, for me, I would take flac over shn anyday.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-04, 12:03 PM
JRC 4558D chip modified
310.24 GB/386.48 GB/1.25

Fair enough... thanks Lynne.
Old 2006-09-26, 10:41 PM
216.61 GB/184.97 GB/0.85

Want to start sharing correctly so is this the proper lineage and files to include. And is it ok to share stuff from other sites?

Source: Soundboard
Lineage: Silvers > EAC > WAV > MKW > SHN > FLAC

2. ny1970-02-25ffp.txt, shntool results.txt and info.txt

thanx
Old 2006-09-26, 11:47 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokermad
Want to start sharing correctly so is this the proper lineage and files to include. And is it ok to share stuff from other sites?

Source: Soundboard
Lineage: Silvers > EAC > WAV > MKW > SHN > FLAC
This is excellent. What we don't want is: Silvers > CDR(any generation) > EAC > WAV > MKW > SHN > FLAC

We don't want CDR shows that were copied from the Silvers. We want a rip straight from the Silvers. (Of course, better yet is straight from the master, but.... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokermad
2. ny1970-02-25ffp.txt, shntool results.txt and info.txt

thanx
shntool, ffp, and txt files are what we like. I might suggest renaming them to always have 'ny1970-02-25' in them.

Old 2006-09-27, 09:16 AM
216.61 GB/184.97 GB/0.85

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
shntool, ffp, and txt files are what we like. I might suggest renaming them to always have 'ny1970-02-25' in them.
Oops forgot one more question......
These files came from the original downloaded torrent. Should I use them or make my own?

thanx
Old 2006-09-27, 10:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, if you make your own fingerprints, then they should be exactly the same as the original ones, so there is no need to do it again.

Old 2006-09-27, 12:44 PM
216.61 GB/184.97 GB/0.85

ty for the help!
Old 2006-11-27, 11:58 AM
22.92 GB/81.75 GB/3.57

I've got a lot of audio bootlegs that I've been sent thru the Tool and Coheed & Cambria communities that have no lineage or fingerprints: I take it that they are unacceptable for hosting?

Thanks, bh
Old 2006-11-27, 01:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, fingerprints are very easy to make, so that is no problem. As for the lineage, you actually always have some lineage. You got a CDR? So, you could say it is: unknown equipment & transfer > CDR(x) (x meaning unknown generation)> EAC (what should always be used to extract on a PC - xACT if you have a mac) > wav > TLH (Traders Little Helper is recommended, but there are others) > flac . But, what you really should do before seeding something with such unknown lineage is to look around and see if there is a version out there that the taper put directly to flac. If there is, then please don't share your version with all the 'unknown' in there. If you can't find a version shared that has known lineage, then what I wrote is acceptable.

Old 2006-12-07, 07:32 PM
4.59 GB/23.07 GB/5.03

Is it within the rules to seed a "instant live" type CD? (it isn't instant live but LiveNow) The run was 1000 and sold only at the gig, so the only place people can get it now are ebay or trade.
Old 2006-12-07, 10:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

No, we can't allow those. They are kinda like Out Of Print stuff which we don't allow either. The band at one time made money off it it. (And, they could again if they decide to re-release it, which has been known to happen.)

Old 2007-01-15, 03:01 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
No, we can't allow those. They are kinda like Out Of Print stuff which we don't allow either. The band at one time made money off it it. (And, they could again if they decide to re-release it, which has been known to happen.)
I have two questions. My first question is similar to Weesam's only the CD I'd like to upload to TheDen was a promotional give-away (it's a compilation of live material from recent shows) that I received at the Big Head Todd & The Monsters New Year's '03 (or '04??) show in Denver. Is this allowed?

Secondly, what about the material fround on KBCO Studio C discs? I have all 18 volumes. However, some are CD-R copies my friends made me - my question here pertains only to the originals that I own. These CDs contain a wide variety of musicians, and each was recorded live at the Boulder, CO radio station's in-house studio (and each year the quality gets better). They cost $10 per CD and the proceeds go to benefit the Boulder AIDS Project. A very limited number get produced each year and once this number has been sold, you can only buy them on E-bay from people who stood in line in Colorado to get them.

Thanks in advance for your response,

-Slew
Old 2007-02-02, 11:53 AM
21.80 GB/18.71 GB/0.86

Is this lineage o.k. to seed the video looks like it could be from the master but I don't know for sure?

Lineage: Aud Camcorder > VHS(?) > DVD(?) > DVD Shrink > My HD > You
Old 2007-02-02, 12:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

It should be fine. Make sure that when you check the stats in GSpot that it was not sourced from a VCD (I found out that a couple of my 'DVDs' are actually VCD sourced ) It will say in the mid-bottom right side if it is DVD format or VCD format. You may also want to do a quick google on the show and see if there is already a known source version floating around.

Old 2007-02-02, 12:17 PM
21.80 GB/18.71 GB/0.86

Thanks it say's DVD "VOB" format, just got to do the md5 stuff now.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble