The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-08-07, 11:45 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: if your going to require checksums

I'll host a tracker just for you
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-07, 12:50 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: DVD Trading Burning?

okay, so then I wouldn't burn it as a video-DVD, I would burn it as a Data-DVD with the md5 and all the text files?

could someone just do a walk-thru of how to correctly burn a DVD for trade using nero? as in what format/mod to use and what files to put in it

I thought you'd just drag n drop the "disc one" folder into nero, but now do I put the md5 and the text file into it now? and do I put it onto BOTH DVDs if it's a 2 dvd set, or do I only put it on one, or what
Old 2005-08-07, 01:00 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Sorry Toto but I couldn't disagree with you more.

oh big surprise there

I've traded plenty of dvd's and never been asked to burn a data disc. Yet when I archive it for my own personal use I put the text and check sums on there, and if someone requests that i burn it that way, I have it for them.

DVD trades are different than audio shn/flac trades. That fact that it is so easy to create a checksum with a video dvd vs. that of a regular wav cdr is why most people will not ask for those files.
Old 2005-08-07, 01:04 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

1. Open Nero Burning ROM.
2. Select "DVD" as disc type, and "DVD-ROM (ISO)" as the project type.
3. Drag the show's root folder [w/ ALL files] to the project window [on left]
4. Burn.
Old 2005-08-07, 01:21 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

root folder? okay say for example, my fujirock download, thats the main fold- "FujiRock" and then in that foler is "disc one" folder "disc 2" folder and then 2 files not in any folders, one is "fujirock.md5" and the other is "ph 7-31-99 set2 txt."

now, if I'm burning the whole show, what would I do? I would drag and drop the disc one file into nero, and then put the md5 file and the "ph 7-31-99 set2" into the disc one DVD, and then for disc 2 I would drag and drop the disc 2 folder into nero, and the md5 and the "ph 7-31-99set2" text file in the nero also, correct?

someone tell me if I got it right or wrong, and if I got it wrong what to fix, please

thanks for all your help everyone
Old 2005-08-07, 02:04 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

correct.

personally, i make a new folder named "BANDdateVENUE" [rightclick on the NEW DISC ICON>>create folder]. Then i would drag "Disc 1" into the new folder. This makes it easier to know which show exactly it is. Repeat with "Disc 2" and the md5, text, art, etc.
Old 2005-08-07, 02:05 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

awesome, I think I've got it now, thanks so much guys for all your help
Old 2005-08-07, 02:29 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

cheers!!! feel free to ask ?s when ever you run into one...trading losslessly takes some learning/re-learning...i posted MANY ?s when i first started, still do sometimes
Old 2005-08-07, 02:36 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

just trying to make sure the people I'm trading to are getting quality stuff

thanks again buddy
Old 2005-08-07, 03:23 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastHonestFool03
root folder? okay say for example, my fujirock download, thats the main fold- "FujiRock" and then in that foler is "disc one" folder "disc 2" folder and then 2 files not in any folders, one is "fujirock.md5" and the other is "ph 7-31-99 set2 txt."

now, if I'm burning the whole show, what would I do? I would drag and drop the disc one file into nero, and then put the md5 file and the "ph 7-31-99 set2" into the disc one DVD, and then for disc 2 I would drag and drop the disc 2 folder into nero, and the md5 and the "ph 7-31-99set2" text file in the nero also, correct?
That's not how I do it. I don't use the root folder. Aaron, doesn't the VIDEO_TS folder need to be directly accessed to play the DVD? It seems that by putting it inside another folder you have less chance of it working on a standalone.

I name the DVD with the show name, drop in the VIDEO_TS folder, and then the txt, md5 and artwork outside of that, not in any folder. Some people say you should put those in an EXTRAS_TS folder, but then the md5 can't be used to verify unless it is moved which is a drag.

Also, if you use Nero I would suggest selecting UDF/ISO since UDF is the new whatever it is (I forgot what I read about it by now) and ISO is older. This way it will be able to be read by both.

Old 2005-08-07, 03:40 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i was referring to a data disc simply for archiving/trading...as for playing in a standalone, yer correct, it probly wouldn't play it.

regarding the Extras_TS, yes the md5 has to be dragged over to check it usually. kinda a drag but only takes a second--i'm just really into organiztion using folders

oh and yer right about UDF/ISO, i need to get into the habit of using that instead of just ISO [atleast on PCs...i prefer Mac and Toast with the whole Mac&PC option...makes much more sense for non-techheads]]
Old 2005-08-08, 06:06 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastHonestFool03
okay, so then I wouldn't burn it as a video-DVD, I would burn it as a Data-DVD with the md5 and all the text files?

could someone just do a walk-thru of how to correctly burn a DVD for trade using nero? as in what format/mod to use and what files to put in it

I thought you'd just drag n drop the "disc one" folder into nero, but now do I put the md5 and the text file into it now? and do I put it onto BOTH DVDs if it's a 2 dvd set, or do I only put it on one, or what
If it was me I do both and send it all to them so that if they know what it's all about they are happy and if they don't then when they find out they'll be all set.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-08-08, 06:51 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

alright, another question, is it okay to burn a DVD for trade from another DVD I already burned?

in other words, I burn the show with the md5 and text files and all for personal use/archiving, then I delete the show to clear space on my HDD and then a couple days later someone wants me to trade it to them, can I just burn an exact copy of the DVD I burned previously? or what would be the best way to do this?
Old 2005-08-08, 07:43 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

okay, I burend the show according to AAR.oner, and it won't play in my standalone

any ideas?
Old 2005-08-08, 07:48 PM
LastHonestFool03
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

it even says, when I drag and drop the "disc one" folder into the compilation of files to burn, that it won't be able to play in a standalone player, and that I'd need to burn a video-DVD to do that

:-/, I'm close to giving up

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble