The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-12-01, 10:44 AM
Have a Happy Day!
117.24 GB/163.00 GB/1.39

Comprehensive source for ISP "reviews" from traders

Anyone know if this exists?

I'm getting fed up with my ISP and it's time to switch. The most prevelant provider around here is Adelphia, but I'm wondering if we can't make a comprehensive list of how traders feel about their ISPs to use as a resource.

Check out this conversation:

Them: How do you like the T1? It is actually a pair of T1's so you should see performance approaching 3 Mbits most of the time.

Me: The T1 lines are great, but I was scolded during my first month here for taking advantage of the speeds (I limit mine to below 75 kb/s). It's a little frustrating to know you have the pipe, but not to be able to use it without having the connection cut off. I worry that using mainstream things like FTP, Bit Torrent and Newsgroups to share files (legally, nothing copywrited) will get me cut off again.

Them:
Blah, blah, blah. If you can control bittorrent's bandwidth go for it. I'm not a big fan of bittorent because I believe it installs bundled spyware, but that's just my opinion.

Booo! How can they be so dumb?!?
Old 2005-12-01, 10:48 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Comprehensive source for ISP "reviews" from traders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanninePC99
Them:[/b] Blah, blah, blah. If you can control bittorrent's bandwidth go for it. I'm not a big fan of bittorent because I believe it installs bundled spyware, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think the guy has a clue about bittorrent!

We have sbcglobal and it's OK. On torrents, I can get about 200 down and 50 up. That is better than what I had a year ago - 120 down and 30 up. But, I do get jealous seeing the great speeds some other people get. However, I'm not really willing to go up in price just to get more up/down speeds.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-12-01, 11:29 AM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Them:[/b] Blah, blah, blah. If you can control bittorrent's bandwidth go for it. I'm not a big fan of bittorent because I believe it installs bundled spyware, but that's just my opinion.

I don't think it's that dumb, bittorrent can be used as a vector for spyware as much as any other file transfer method.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1828633,00.asp

which links to here:

http://www.vitalsecurity.org/2005/06...d-and-175.html

Increasingly spyware companies are modifying bittorrent content to include spyware. Realize that bittorrent users are mostly not like the ones here who may only download straight media content (although I see a lot of comments from people who download software and copywritten content as well.) And that the average user isn't savvy enough to realize that something is wrong when you download a tv show and a eula for spyware shows up when you 'install' it.
Old 2005-12-01, 11:53 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Me: The T1 lines are great, but I was scolded during my first month here for taking advantage of the speeds (I limit mine to below 75 kb/s). It's a little frustrating to know you have the pipe, but not to be able to use it without having the connection cut off. I worry that using mainstream things like FTP, Bit Torrent and Newsgroups to share files (legally, nothing copywrited) will get me cut off again.
[b]
this is weird... so there is no advantage to having a T1 for this guy (I can get 75 kb/s!)

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble