The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-08-10, 11:46 AM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Mini DV media

Just a quick question on mini dv tapes. I have noticed some mini dv HD tapes out there stamped for use in all mini dv camcorders. Does anyone have any experience using the HD grade tapes in a standard def recorder? I have been using Sony tapes for the last 3 years for concerts (DV80PRL) with only one tape having a frame dropout issue, and even then it was only 5 frames dropped. I like the Sony 80 minute tapes because I can run LP mode and get 2 hours out of it, which makes it easier for me to keep from switching tapes and for syncing audio.

I recently purchased a Canon ZR500 since it has better low light capability than my Sony, and I am looking for recommendations on blank media, if you all have any. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-08-10, 03:40 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Mini DV media

you can shoot SD onto Hd tapes, but its a complete waste of money in my opinion...there are a LOT of prefessionals who shoot HD on HD cams using SD miniDV tapes because the difference is so miniscule

there are some who say that using a HD miniDV tape in a SD miniDV camera offers less frame drops, however my experience is that the decrease in drops is not worth the price increase...if you have some HD tapes laying around that you just want to use up, then fine...but don't waste yer money on buying HD tapes...i've found Sony's premium line to be fine, especially for non-professional work like taping where yer arse isn't on the line with a client should there be a un-fixable drop here or there
Old 2008-08-10, 05:16 PM
87.70 GB/175.64 GB/2.00

Re: Mini DV media

Ok, that's what I needed to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble