The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-08-09, 03:32 PM
Words of Iron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Newbie needs help.

I need a good tutorial on how to do this stuff and what I will need to do it with. I am primarily interested in making copies of video DVD's that I see posted here. I have a pretty good PC with a 16x DVD-rom drive and use my power dvd for playback. I also have a 24x/10x/40x CD-RW drive installed. Basic stuff here and I'm afraid that it isn't what I need. Another problem is I still have dial up service because the local high speed providers want a fortune to install needed wiring to provide high speed service. This alone may cancel this project. I have no problem upgrading my pc and buying whatever software may be needed but the cost of the wiring and hidden charges are ridiculous. If I could find a site that has all the info that I need as well as what hardware/software is needed it would help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-08-09, 04:36 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Newbie needs help.

there's a bunch of threads about DVD burning :
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...archid=3913855

somewhere in there is a simple step by step

imgburn is a great free software for burning data CDRs/DVDRs, EAC is best for burning Audio CDRs.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2008-08-09, 04:56 PM
Words of Iron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks' I'll keep digging and gathering info, I think my first step is to bite the bullet and pay up for the high speed first. Otherwise it's going to take a week to download anything.
Thanks again, Cat Daddy
Old 2008-08-10, 12:33 AM
472.51 GB/532.25 GB/1.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I need a good tutorial on how to do this stuff and what I will need to do it with. I am primarily interested in making copies of video DVD's that I see posted here. I have a pretty good PC with a 16x DVD-rom drive and use my power dvd for playback. I also have a 24x/10x/40x CD-RW drive installed. Basic stuff here and I'm afraid that it isn't what I need.
Do you have a DVD-ROM or a DVD burner? Because a DVD-ROM drive will only read DVDs. You will need a DVD burner to burn a DVD disc.

What sort of high speed internet are you looking at? Have you considered aDSL? aDSL uses your existing telephone line to provide high speed internet access.
Old 2008-08-10, 08:37 AM
Words of Iron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'm weighing all of my options now as far as getting high speed internet. I know that I need this first. I have a DVD-Rom so I'll look into getting a burner as well. I'm wondering if one of the new lite speed external DVD burners will work. I just saw them advertised in Smart Computing. I also have a 40 gig harddrive in my PC and I'm not sure if that's enough. Lot's of things to consider here. I'll keep scouring traders den for info and help, you guy's have pointed me in the right direction and I thank you.
Old 2008-08-10, 10:45 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
I'm weighing all of my options now as far as getting high speed internet. I know that I need this first. I have a DVD-Rom so I'll look into getting a burner as well. I'm wondering if one of the new lite speed external DVD burners will work. I just saw them advertised in Smart Computing. I also have a 40 gig harddrive in my PC and I'm not sure if that's enough. Lot's of things to consider here. I'll keep scouring traders den for info and help, you guy's have pointed me in the right direction and I thank you.
If your goal is to start getting video shows, you don't necessarily need to have high speed internet, but you will need a DVD burner. You can do trading through the mail (how many of us started out), you can see if B&Ps are being offered, and you can join Vines. None of those things require downloading and it's a great way to get a collection started.

Old 2008-08-10, 11:07 AM
Words of Iron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

That's great info, I didn't know that. It may be the way to go for me right now. I'm checking out external DVD burners now and I'm wondering if one of those might work. Seems to me that it would work as well as an internal burner. There's a lot of info on this site, I'm getting a good idea as to what all of the terminology means and what I'll need to get good copies of my favorite bands videos.

Thanks for the reply and info.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble