The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-04-29, 01:03 AM
201.06 GB/70.87 GB/0.35

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

No it doesn't in my opinion.

Someone being rude to you, has nothing to do with ratio. And everything to do with being an asshole.

If you got two situations. 1. A person with a high ratio tells you to go fuck yourself because you asked a question and 2. A person with a low ratio tells you to go fuck yourself because you asked a question, how is one better or worse than the other?

They're both rude inconsiderate pricks.

I try to be polite and considerate to everyone I come in contact with, but there are some who only live to act like an internet thug.

That has nothing to do with ratio. Everything to do with their own personality.

freezer
LeifH12345
Powderfinger
TVHeadAssPhuck

NEW APPLICANTS ACCEPTED DAILY!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-29, 05:00 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
.....Yeah Jesus, I do wish that those that don't share would just shut up with the rude comments in the torrents.
Don't you feel just a bit strange having to explain manners to the Son Of GOD?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!! holy shit freezer, i nearly choked on this coffee reading that
Old 2008-04-29, 08:34 AM
894.51 GB/3.48 TB/3.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Gillespie View Post
i think a rude comment from a high ratio user has at least a little more substance than a rude comment from someone who never shares.
That's total bullshit. You have absolutely no idea how much someone who "never shares" might have shared outside of TTD torrents. Maybe his ratio is in the tank because he has a slow connection, and he downloaded a year-old 3-DVD set of his best friend's first show that had no other downloaders on it, but then he turned around and burned five copies of that show (15 DVDs) for friends in "real life".

Maybe he's been a tape trader for 20 years who's done B&P's, tape trees, CD vines and every other form of sharing before he ever heard of "TTD". Proclaiming that a person "never shares" simply based on their current ratio at one bittorrent site is a near-perfect blend of ignorance and arrogance.
Old 2008-04-29, 09:29 AM
330.19 GB/0.98 TB/3.03

A curious thought, Scratchie, but how do you measure the soul of someone (Jesus Christ excluded) with a tracker?
Old 2008-04-29, 11:39 AM
894.51 GB/3.48 TB/3.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc3 View Post
A curious thought, Scratchie, but how do you measure the soul of someone (Jesus Christ excluded) with a tracker?
Um, er, ah... What??

I try not to. That was sort of the point.
Old 2008-04-29, 11:44 AM
61.85 GB/74.30 GB/1.20

ALL of us are capable of good & bad at any time during our existence on ANY tracker...or in life for that matter. I see alot of poor ratios who are hit n runners....no seeding afterwards, no comments or thanks, no posting.....if they still trade what they get outside of here are they still okay...in my book they're a burden to the site. Chances are they may even be selling the shows they get on a home-made website or sleezeBay. Either way like arseholes, we ALL have opinions...if we learn how to better moderate ourselves and our emotions when posting we could be saints...but at this point, we're only human.....regardless of whether we be arseholes too from time to time......

Old 2008-04-29, 01:36 PM
894.51 GB/3.48 TB/3.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrell69 View Post
ALL of us are capable of good & bad at any time during our existence on ANY tracker...or in life for that matter. I see alot of poor ratios who are hit n runners....no seeding afterwards, no comments or thanks, no posting.....if they still trade what they get outside of here are they still okay...in my book they're a burden to the site.
They're not a burden on the site, as evidenced by the fact that the site is thriving and is filled with great content and (mostly) generous file-sharers. I've seen no evidence that the site's performance is suffering due to any preponderance of hit-and-runners.

The whole purpose of the site is to share music. Some people share more than others, and some are able to share more than others, but as long as the music is being shared, I don't see what the problem is. For as long as I've been a collector of live music, I've been more than willing to spin a copy of any show in my collection for anyone who asked (and lots of people who didn't even ask).

I never required them to make additional copies for anyone else and I certainly never insulted them and called them a "fucking worthless leech" (or any of the other charming epithets that regularly show up on these forums) because I gave more music to them than they gave to me.

Quote:
Chances are they may even be selling the shows they get on a home-made website or sleezeBay.
Give me a break. They probably just have lives, and/or other uses for their computers and internet connections besides seeding torrents 24/7.
Old 2008-04-29, 04:04 PM
Jesus Christ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
They're not a burden on the site....
okay, thanks for that, Scratchie. good reading. nice one.

okay, so that pretty much decides it.

obviously we do not ban the uber-leechers.

nice discussion while it lasted, but with it cast now upon the back-burner, we should raise a toast to a new future in the same old place that we love.
Old 2008-04-30, 12:39 AM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Old 2008-04-30, 12:47 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

how odd
Old 2008-04-30, 01:57 AM
255.77 GB/282.87 GB/1.11

well, ill tell you one thing that really sucks! I have Comcast, and its a nightmare.. but changing companies where i am located is not an option. I can download things at up to 500-600kbs an i have seen it go faster than that if the pool is huge.... but on uploading, i can only move things out at 50kbs and no more. i noticed this when i brought my laptop to other friends houses that live in the city and found i could upload at other locations as fast as 220kbps. ALSO.. it seems that after so many MBs of uploading somewhere around 600MB, the connection drops and the modem has to be reset. This is especially frustrating at night because if the connection is cut and i dont find out until morning, then i lose the whole night of uploading. i have many things downloaded here from TTD that i keep on my disc and check for leechers regularly. (I think the Baltimore Jack 72/73 Zeppelin is at 16.47GB uploaded, so things like that keep my ratio rising. Its hard because when you first join a site, youre getting everything usually LONG after everyone else has already picked it up, so it can be tricky to get a ratio high if you get carried away in the beginning. Recently i seeded a show on Dime and in the same time it took me to upload the entire 700MB show, i watched the stats on 8 people leeching it and they had completed 5GB in uploads on the same file before they had even finished downloading it from me.. Go Figure! Seeding an original torrent especially here can also be rough because the requirements for alot of things i have do not fall favorable unless they are from actual silvers or clean lineage.... and almost all the cleanest stuff i have has come from here anyways, so everyone has everything .. haha. the best i can do is keep things around a long time if they are popular and let them do their thing over time. I am however in favor of the 50% or 75% ratio check every 100GB because that should at least keep people honest and show an attempt in effort! If you're a pure leach then thats lame, because there is no reason why you have to delete something from your HD as soon as it is completed. I guess my point here is i can see where for some (like me) having a super high ratio is not a possibility because of my connection speed here at home, but a lack of effort cannot go unnoticed i would think!
Old 2008-04-30, 05:35 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

people always complain that they just don't have fast enough pipes to keep a good ratio... yet most of the time they've d/l'd hundreds of GBs, and when they post their u/l speeds its far better than ours

our maximum upload is around 35k/s, yet i have no problem keeping a decent ratio

so unless yer on dialup, there is no excuse!!!
Old 2008-04-30, 07:26 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
ahhh, I get it. you were put in the iggy box for thoughtless posting. Im sure it was for your own good.
Thoughtless posting is worse than thoughtless leeching imo.
Old 2008-04-30, 02:47 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

how odd
Old 2008-07-04, 07:11 PM
187.60 MB/2.78 GB/15.19

I'm new here and I really like this site. I just found this thread and I really want to comment, because there is always a point about ratios that seems to be missed, although scratchie alluded to it. Why should someone with a poor ration automatically be thought of as someone who does not share or someone who is thoughtless? That person may be seeding their brains out, but not getting any uploads.

I've been a member of another site for a while, and I have always been listed in the stats as one of the top seeders, yet it took quite a while for me to get a decent ratio. And if you think it's because I downloaded too much, you're wrong. Plus, another problem is that unless you download and have enough seeds, then your ratio goes into the sinker even more, so it's a lose/lose situation.

This attitude that poor ratios somehow equal someone who is thoughtless and does not share is plain wrong, because some people with bad ratios really care about sharing and they seed constantly. I have come to realize that I can only hope and pray for leechers to my seeds, and it's a miserable process, because it so hard to get enough uploads, depending on what you've downloaded. I'd much rather upload than download, so don't judge unfairly. I only have one download on this site so far, and it's looking like it's going to take an eternity for me to have a good ratio here, even though I have been seeding continuously since I downloaded.

It's unfortunate we can't be measured by the amount of time we spend seeding, and not ratios, because unless the files are being uploaded, a person with a poor ration may be stigmatized very unfairly. My computer has taken a horrible beating since I started doing torrents, because it's running almost constantly in order to seed and attempt to upload. The internal fans are starting to roar, and it now needs maintenance because of the toll this has taken on it. I'm expecting that it will be trashed soon. Yet, I would still get called a thoughtless leecher with a poor ratio! It's enough to make me stop doing torrents, and I'm sure it will eventually come to that.

Anyway, hello everyone, and I'm happy to be a part of this community.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers