The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-06, 05:28 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

Re: How do I change file location of a torrent??

Yes, I have downloaded torrents from here, then other sites, then here again, back and forth a few times over. It's just this site that doesn't give me the options to open or save them. I'm sure it's just an option I have to select on the gui. It just seems odd that I get the options from other sites and not from here.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-06, 05:52 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

are you on a PC? if so, just right-click on the .torrent file in the thread's first post, choose "Save file as...", save it to your desktop or whatever folder you prefer...if you just click on the torrent file, it'll automatically open/load without saving to your comp
Old 2006-05-06, 06:00 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

Didn't think of that. Thanks.

I'm used to dc++ sites, where the logic is different. After you verify the file, you move it into a folder to share with other folks. I was trying to apply the same logic here, but once I moved the file BT lost track of it. I can't believe there isn't an easier way to point BT to the file. What if I want to clean up my hard drive and move everything off to an external drive? I do this all the time with my dc++ downloads. I have 4 external drives. If I want to move my BT files to an external it looks like I'll have to go back to the original source for the BT file just to get it to point to the right location. That doesn't sound very efficient.
Old 2006-05-06, 06:07 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

nah, just save the .torrent file and keep it in the same parent folder you save your shows to...its sounds to me like its more of an issue with the client yer using...Azureus is no problem when re-opening a torrent after its been moved
Old 2006-05-06, 06:08 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I'm not sure about how dc++ works, but I always back up my data to external hd/dvd then if I need to reseed later for some reason I just move it back to my hd and get the torrent from the thread. Or if the thread is dead, I have to make a new "reseed" thread with a torrent I just freshly generated.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-06, 06:43 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

if your used to dc++ go get azureus or utorrent BT clients. much more like it.
both automatically save every single .torrent file you load in a folder for backup. dont know about azureus, but in utorrent you can simply right click on an active torrent and chose "set download location" and change the location the files are saved to without stopping or loading anything. much easier.
Old 2006-05-06, 07:06 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

Utorrents sounds like the way to go then. I just figured using the software from the bittorrent site was the best one to use. In fact, I thought it was the only one to use. I didn't realise there was other BT software out there. Just like flac is flac and mkw is mkw, I thought bittorrent was a single entity.
Old 2006-05-06, 07:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

cdrtrade, you might want to take a look at the Software Links in our FAQ. We have many different bittorrent clients listed and we have some good applications for decompressing those flac and shn files (hint: get TLH!).

Old 2006-05-06, 07:54 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

OK, I moved a file, went to the original torrent and downloaded again. That set it straight. Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Other software to decompress flac and shn? What's wrong with the originals (flac and mkw..ape also)? I've used them for years. Didn't know there were other options, and don't know why there is a need for them.
Old 2006-05-06, 08:47 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

OK, I downloaded utorrent and played with it a little bit. It does seem similar to a dc++ interface. I may use it more in the future.

I just figured out what's going on here all in all. Back to using the original bittorrent software. I moved a file to a new location. I then double clicked the torrent file, which placed it back on my gui. I was then able to change the location of the file through the gui.

Now we're back to the problem as to where the hell my torrent files were being saved to from The Traders Den. Once I find them then I won't have to go back to the original post of the torrent file. Or did the torrent files get saved anywhere? Were they just in temp? Like I said, other sites gave me the dialogue box to save and open them. Not here, so I don't know where they are yet. I'll do a search, but I'm not sure what to search for. Torrent?

Thanks to everyone for their help..
Old 2006-05-06, 08:59 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

search your drives (ctrl+F) for *.torrent

they are somewhere on your computer

TLH is a great prog because it does encoding/decoding and shntool functions without having to install 10 programs. there's a tutorial about it in my signature. if you're comfortable with your other multiple progs and they are working well then you can just use those.

Quote:
Old 2006-05-06, 09:18 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

I did a search and only found the torrent files from other sites, so I guess the torrents aren't being saved from traders den. I guess it's just doing an open. So I'm going to have to do a torrent search on everything I've downloaded and save the torrents.
Old 2006-05-06, 09:39 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I am really confused how that could happen

hopefully using utorrent you are now okay

Quote:
Old 2006-05-06, 10:07 PM
1.07 TB/469.99 GB/0.43

Yea, this is getting wackier as we go along. I've redownloaded a few of the Faces torrents. There's one from 3/10/70 that I can't activate after I download it. I do an open and it just won't go into the gui. There are 2 other faces torrent files from 1970 that I redownloaded and they hit the gui, I changed the location, did a download, and it found the new location of the file. The one from 3/10 just won't open. I've tried deleting the torrent and grabbing it again but it still won't open. I've had enough for tonight. I'll reboot my pc tomorrow and try grabbing that file again. Maybe I'll just start using utorrent instead. But, what will that do to my active downloads? Can I just switch over to utorrent and will that continue the downloads from where they left off? Maybe I should let all the old downloads complete on my current interface before I start using utorrent, or maybe run both at the same time and start new ones on utorrent and let the old ones complete on bittorrent..

Anyway, enough's enough.
Old 2006-05-06, 10:11 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

you can load all your previous active torrents into utorrent no problem. it will just have to re-check them, wont take long depending on size.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble