The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-08-13, 12:13 PM
409.87 GB/219.64 GB/0.54

Newbie question about altering file info and reseeding

So... I am new here. I was really excited to discover a way to preserve and share high quality audio. I read the FAQ & downloaded a recommended torrent managment program, Vuze, and a recommended media player, Foobar. I realize at first I won't have much to share, but as my media collection has increased I have spent a lot of time on Vuze FAQ trying to learn how to change my settings to increase my share ratio. This is going better. My share ratio is up around 27% and rising, which is good. Now for my problem...

Many of the torrents download into Foobar in a way that is really difficult to work with. Often the 'band name' comes out as a file name, album name is missing (I like to use date, venue), song names are missing, genre is something weird, etc. In Foobar, there are options for changing these, which is what I have been doing. The problem is, it seems that when I alter the files, Vuze seems to think it needs to download them again. The nice and tidy files (band name, date and venue for album, correct song names, correct (for me) genres) that I altered in Foobar then disappear and are replaced by the same old confusing file names, missing song names, and weird genres. Question is: I want to keep as much music as possible in the queue for seeding (want to be a good citizen and contribute back to the community), but I also want to be able to organize the information within each torrent in a way that allows my new, wonderful, loss-less music to mesh with my other music and present itself within the media player in a way that makes sense to me. If someone could point me (with as much detail as possible... newbie!) I would be forever grateful. The bloody disappearing files (from Foobar) are driving me crazy!!!

Thanks all in advance. This is a wonderful site. Thanks to all for the hard work to make it possible.

Brian.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-08-13, 02:08 PM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re: Newbie question about altering file info and reseeding

Your only solution is to make another copy of those files and delete later the useless one or to modify the files after you reached the needed ratio.
Old 2010-08-13, 05:22 PM
409.87 GB/219.64 GB/0.54

Re: Newbie question about altering file info and reseeding

Thanks kta1000... I was afraid of that. Managing all this info intelligently is going to be a bit of a chore. If anyone has any other nuggets of advice, they are appreciated.

Thanks again for taking the time!
Brian.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble