The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-02-16, 03:54 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Newbie trying to reseed shows

Upon completion of downloading files utorrent begins to seed automatically. In order to improve my ratio I want to reseed some videos but after a while I receive an error message saying unable to open torrent file and the reseeding stops. I am very new to this technology and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am loving the shows i have acquired and would love to help others enjoy them too. I fear that my contribution to the trader's den may have to become strictly financial through donations. I do not want to be seen as only a taker. I love live music too much to not be able to share it. Please help.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-02-16, 04:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Newbie trying to reseed shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
Upon completion of downloading files utorrent begins to seed automatically. In order to improve my ratio I want to reseed some videos but after a while I receive an error message saying unable to open torrent file and the reseeding stops. I am very new to this technology and any help would be greatly appreciated. I am loving the shows i have acquired and would love to help others enjoy them too. I fear that my contribution to the trader's den may have to become strictly financial through donations. I do not want to be seen as only a taker. I love live music too much to not be able to share it. Please help.
I wish I was more familiar with uTorrent (I'm a Mac user and we don't have uTorrent), but could it be that the torrents you get the error on are old torrents that have since been removed from the tracker? Normally, you download the torrent file and start the download and then after the download is completed, the torrent gets moved to a different 'screen' in your bittorrent client and hopefully it continues seeding. However, sometimes you need to select the torrent and then hit Start (green arrow) to force it to start seeding. Don't forget that you can only seed though if there are leechers. If there are no leechers on the show, it won't matter that you are seeding because there is nobody to transfer the data too.

You aren't firewalled, so that is great, because now you may connect to any user on a torrent, not just the un-firewalled users.

Old 2008-02-16, 04:34 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Did you move the show you downloaded to a different location on your hard drive(s)? If so, just remove the show from uTorrent (highlight the show, then hit the red X), then double click the .torrent file and point it to wherever you moved the show, then you can resume seeding assuming there are leechers still on it. Renaming the show folder will also cause an error.
Old 2008-02-17, 09:54 AM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

I have not moved the show to another location. the show begins reseeding immediately after completion of download. Will the error arise if no one is looking for the show after a certain length of time? I understand that if no one is looking for it that the reseeding will take longer. Just so I understand what is happening here... am I right when I think that a seed is the entire show being made available by one user and a peer is someone who only has parts of the show available? I really want to understand the process involved. Thanks.
Old 2008-02-17, 10:09 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Pepsiman, you really shouldn't get an error at all. If you do, you should post the full error here and perhaps we can figure out what happened. As long as the torrent is still on the tracker and you have the full show, unchanged, on your drive, then you should be able to go into seed mode.

You may want to read some of our BitTorrent Help FAQ and Glossary to help understand some of this.

Old 2008-03-05, 02:12 PM
565.84 GB/822.21 GB/1.45

Hey Tubular, I have just reread your post and have a question for you. When I complete a download, the concert is stored in a folder named for that concert inside the MY DVD"S folder. Are you saying that the torrent file needs to be included inside the concert file of the same name? Also when seeding is it mandatory to keep my computer on for the duration of the seeding or can I turn the power off and continue seeding the next time I turn the computer on. I really would like to get this side of things straightened out so that I can improve my ratio. My number is heavily skewed by the fact that I have downloaded many large video files and have been unable to get the seeding going. I realize that the shows I have may not be in demand right now but I would like to help out as best I can.
Old 2008-03-05, 02:46 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEPSIMAN View Post
Hey Tubular, I have just reread your post and have a question for you. When I complete a download, the concert is stored in a folder named for that concert inside the MY DVD"S folder. Are you saying that the torrent file needs to be included inside the concert file of the same name?
No. Keep the torrent files wherever you want.
Quote:
Also when seeding is it mandatory to keep my computer on for the duration of the seeding or can I turn the power off and continue seeding the next time I turn the computer on. I really would like to get this side of things straightened out so that I can improve my ratio. My number is heavily skewed by the fact that I have downloaded many large video files and have been unable to get the seeding going. I realize that the shows I have may not be in demand right now but I would like to help out as best I can.
Yes, you must keep your computer on in order to seed. If your computer goes off, then it can't transfer any data. If you decide to turn off your computer, make sure you stop your torrents first so that the tracker gets updated with your latest stats. Then, when you start your computer up again, you may start up a couple of torrents again.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble