The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-24, 06:27 PM
165.14 GB/1.09 TB/6.74

Seeding lots of shows but not showing as a seed...

I'm seeding a lot of stuff in utorrent but not showing up as a seed on the tracker. What's weird is that I am appearing as a seed on a lot of stuff. I no longer have firewall status. Does anyone know what's going on?

I have a bunch of the Red uploading arrows but also a number of green ones as well...

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#What...tatus_icons.3F

What do the red icons (Tracker Error (download)/Tracker Error (upload)) mean on the torrent status icons?

These red icons indicate that µTorrent was not able to reach the tracker. This could happen when the tracker goes offline, becomes overloaded, or when the domain simply doesn't exist anymore. Check Tracker Status on the General tab to see what the exact error message is.

In many cases, seeing this (especially if you see hostname not found in Tracker Status) and having DHT on but still having no peers to connect to may mean that you'll have to find another copy of the torrent on another tracker.

In some cases, this is normal because the tracker is overloaded or temporarily down. The torrent itself should keep seeding/downloading as long as you got some peers, and if the tracker comes back up or becomes responsive, you should have no lost ratio so long as you don't close µTorrent or stop the torrent.

What do all the status icons mean?

Red Seeding Arrow: means the torrent is seeding, but there is a tracker error (see question above)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-24, 08:24 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Re: Seeding lots of shows but not showing as a seed...

I just tried connecting to your Happy Apple show and you do not show in peers list but I am not connecting to anyone else either using BitTornado 0.3.18

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-10-24, 08:35 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

You are only allowed to connect to 10 uploads at a time. We had a problem with people being connected to too many torrents, which causes a variety of problems.

Are you trying to connect to more than 10? If so, that is the reason.
Old 2007-10-24, 09:27 PM
165.14 GB/1.09 TB/6.74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
You are only allowed to connect to 10 uploads at a time. We had a problem with people being connected to too many torrents, which causes a variety of problems.

Are you trying to connect to more than 10? If so, that is the reason.
OK, that must be it. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll narrow them down to 10. Was that a recent change? I don't mind, I'm just curious.

Thank you.

Last edited by emptyzero; 2007-10-24 at 09:35 PM.
Old 2007-10-24, 09:35 PM
the non-nuclear Homer Simpson
202.13 GB/314.80 GB/1.56

Being connected to 48 torrents doesn't help anyone. Your bandwidth up of 500+ is distributed to a negligible limit. Try connecting to only those torrents where your bandwidth is needed instead of everything you've downloaded.

Not knocking you at all. You are a great sharer and I commend it. Just giving you some advice. Thank you for being one of the good guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I hear the Rape is lovely this time of year.
Quote:
hey man if nobody else has helped you out, i can continue to ignore you too
Old 2007-10-24, 09:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey John, yes that was a recent change (a few days ago). We found one guy was trying to seed over 100 torrents at a time. That does no good to the poor people trying to get the torrent when they can get so little bandwidth from the person. We discussed it in Staff and decided that 10 was a pretty high number to be seeding at one time, but that it would give some leeway to a torrent that you finish and just sit there on. So, if I were you, I would pick the torrents that need seeds to seed (personally, I pick 2-4 every night to seed). If you are using utorrent, it should show if a leecher is on the show. I've always told people that if they expect a seeder, they need to first show up as a leecher so the seeders see there is a need.

Old 2007-10-24, 10:25 PM
165.14 GB/1.09 TB/6.74

The change makes total sense. I'm just glad I know what's going on now! I was just trying to keep shows out of the Inactive forum. Wasn't sure how much time had to pass with no seeds before they got pulled but if a little ole band from Minneapolis goes 3 weeks without a download I suppose she deserves to get pulled if there's not much interest. I'll just try to keep an eye on utorrent for leeches, not a big deal at all.

This place is quality and that's why I support it.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble