The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-21, 01:56 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Partition Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Thanks pete's montreux

EDIT: nevermind too

(I saw the image. Thanks for posting it )
Anytime.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-21, 01:57 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Yes, that's what he means.
Old 2005-07-21, 02:03 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Yes, that's what he means.
Ok!

I guess I'm going to have to download the program on one of the other four computers in my house and make the diskettes through there. I can do that, right?
Old 2005-07-21, 02:43 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Yes you can, but it won't contain the boot/partition information that is on your HD that you may want to recover. I don't know exactly what the rescue disk looks for when booting. Best thing to do, if possible, is to install a floppy drive now. It'll make things a lot easier if you need it later.

Are you absolutely sure Partition Magic won't allow you to make a rescue CD? I'm thinking that when it asks you if you want to make one or not, that you can answer "yes" and then it'll ask you to navigate to the drive before it saves the rescue data.

A lot of computers are being made now, without floppy drives. I'm assuming you have a newer version of PM. A lot of newer programs are taking into account the fact that floppy drives may not be present and are giving the opportunity to make bootable rescue CDs instead. You might want to check again to be sure and to save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

EDIT: Some programs make a "rescue disk" that is simply a boot floppy that you boot from so that you can run their software from the command line to use that particular program. In other words, it is not proprietary to that program. I'm not sure if PM does this or not.

Last edited by Ted; 2005-07-21 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2005-07-21, 03:04 PM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
So that means, If I split a partition on [for example] the "C" drive into A and B, I could only merge partitions A and B back together, and not merge partition B with my storage drive?

Like this:

A + B = good

A or B + storage = bad
Not only that, but A + B = bad. You don't want to use Partition Magic to merge a partition with an operating system installed on it and from your example A would still have the operating system; here are the notes on the merge tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ic&svy=&csm=no

Note the frequent warnings.
Old 2005-07-21, 03:28 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Yes you can, but it won't contain the boot/partition information that is on your HD that you may want to recover. I don't know exactly what the rescue disk looks for when booting. Best thing to do, if possible, is to install a floppy drive now. It'll make things a lot easier if you need it later.

Are you absolutely sure Partition Magic won't allow you to make a rescue CD? I'm thinking that when it asks you if you want to make one or not, that you can answer "yes" and then it'll ask you to navigate to the drive before it saves the rescue data.

A lot of computers are being made now, without floppy drives. I'm assuming you have a newer version of PM. A lot of newer programs are taking into account the fact that floppy drives may not be present and are giving the opportunity to make bootable rescue CDs instead. You might want to check again to be sure and to save yourself a lot of trouble down the road.

EDIT: Some programs make a "rescue disk" that is simply a boot floppy that you boot from so that you can run their software from the command line to use that particular program. In other words, it is not proprietary to that program. I'm not sure if PM does this or not.

Drive "F" doesn't even exist!
Old 2005-07-21, 03:30 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzbo
Not only that, but A + B = bad. You don't want to use Partition Magic to merge a partition with an operating system installed on it and from your example A would still have the operating system; here are the notes on the merge tool:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...ic&svy=&csm=no

Note the frequent warnings.
Thanks. I'll look it over. I'm not sure that I'll ever have to merge the drives back together, though.
Old 2005-07-21, 03:44 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Pete: Why are you using Partition Magic in the first place?

I've dabbled with it but for have never really found much utility in using it. I just partition my drives with XP, format them, and live with it.

Just curious I suppose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-07-21, 03:53 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Pete - Try inserting a disk and browsing to your burner. See if it'll make the CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
Pete: Why are you using Partition Magic in the first place?

I've dabbled with it but for have never really found much utility in using it. I just partition my drives with XP, format them, and live with it.

Just curious I suppose...
I suggested it based on many people I know who sing it's praises. It's easier to suggest the program than it is to explain why partitioning can be more trouble than it's worth - because once I mention that, it causes A LOT of debate and I don't care to repeat the facts any more on the subject. Partitioning is not bad, but it is not necessary. I just make a folder instead. If you're worried about fragmentation of the swap file, defrag regularly. Other than that, there is no advantage to be gained by putting the OS on a seperate partition.
Old 2005-07-21, 05:07 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Pete - Try inserting a disk and browsing to your burner. See if it'll make the CD.

I suggested it based on many people I know who sing it's praises. It's easier to suggest the program than it is to explain why partitioning can be more trouble than it's worth - because once I mention that, it causes A LOT of debate and I don't care to repeat the facts any more on the subject. Partitioning is not bad, but it is not necessary. I just make a folder instead. If you're worried about fragmentation of the swap file, defrag regularly. Other than that, there is no advantage to be gained by putting the OS on a seperate partition.
I thought of browsing for the CD drive, but it says "The Specified folder: 'E:\' is invalid, incomplete, or write protected. Please type a full path with a drive letter, for example:'C:\APPS'.

I don't use my main drive for anything, and it's got 70GB of free space. I'd much rather leave 15GB for the main drive, and create a new partition for some extra storage, since the 160GB is getting a little full. Plus, it looks prettier.
Old 2005-07-21, 07:44 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Partitioning is not bad, but it is not necessary. I just make a folder instead. If you're worried about fragmentation of the swap file, defrag regularly. Other than that, there is no advantage to be gained by putting the OS on a seperate partition.
That was kind of my point too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you truly have your heart set on having the nice clean partition look, put your Windows XP disc in the drive, boot from the CD and reinstall Windows. It will allow you to partition that drive right before you install. If you're thinking of mucking around with Partition Magic, I'd guess you have enough computer literacy to do the Windows install route too.

And, to the best of my knowledge, the swap file doesn't get fragmented.

Do the Defrag analysis on the drive where your swap file is. See that green patch? That's your swap file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2005-07-21, 07:55 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
That was kind of my point too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you truly have your heart set on having the nice clean partition look, put your Windows XP disc in the drive, boot from the CD and reinstall Windows. It will allow you to partition that drive right before you install. If you're thinking of mucking around with Partition Magic, I'd guess you have enough computer literacy to do the Windows install route too.

Do the Defrag analysis on the drive where your swap file is. See that green patch? That's your swap file.
I don't have the Windows XP disc. I'll ask around to my friends and see if they have one.

I didn't think Partition Magic was going to be such a pain in the dick.
Old 2005-07-21, 08:00 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Pete - looks like you're out of luck on the CD too. If the only reason you want to partition is to make it look "pretty", I can understand that, but it's really not worth the possible troubles. Don't get me wrong. Partitions are not trouble in and of themselves. It's when you have a problem with one (or more) partitions, that you begin to see where the trouble lies. For one, it's harder to recover data from a bad partition than it is from a single partitioned drive. You can think of a drive that has more than one partition as having more "parts". The more parts you have in something, the more than "can" go wrong with it (but not necessarily will).

Quote:

If I said "you" in that post, I didn't actually mean you, Mamba. Yeah, Windows can do it too, but it's easier to use PM once the OS is installed. Some people just refuse to reinstall Windows unless their life depends on it - and even THEN it's hard for them do actually understand that it sometimes needs to be done.

As for the swap file, true - it doesn't get fragmented, but try telling that to the many people who've argued with me that it does. I just concede and give them that "fact"

At risk of a long debate (that I will not participate in again) - Long story short, no matter how many partitions you have and no matter whether the OS is on it's own partition or not, the arm of the HD has to cover the same ground to store/retrieve data. It doesn't look at which partition it's on. Partitions are only known to the software. In fact, in many instances, the arm has to cover MORE ground to go back and forth between the OS's partition and any of the others, depending on where they physically are located on the HD. Fragmentation occurs at the same rate on many partitions as it does on one.
Old 2005-07-21, 08:09 PM
pete's montreux
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Pete - looks like you're out of luck on the CD too. If the only reason you want to partition is to make it look "pretty", I can understand that, but it's really not worth the possible troubles. Don't get me wrong. Partitions are not trouble in and of themselves. It's when you have a problem with one (or more) partitions, that you begin to see where the trouble lies. For one, it's harder to recover data from a bad partition than it is from a single partitioned drive. You can think of a drive that has more than one partition as having more "parts". The more parts you have in something, the more than "can" go wrong with it (but not necessarily will).

If I said "you" in that post, I didn't actually mean you, Mamba. Yeah, Windows can do it too, but it's easier to use PM once the OS is installed. Some people just refuse to reinstall Windows unless their life depends on it - and even THEN it's hard for them do actually understand that it sometimes needs to be done.

As for the swap file, true - it doesn't get fragmented, but try telling that to the many people who've argued with me that it does. I just concede and give them that "fact"

At risk of a long debate (that I will not participate in again) - Long story short, no matter how many partitions you have and no matter whether the OS is on it's own partition or not, the arm of the HD has to cover the same ground to store/retrieve data. It doesn't look at which partition it's on. Partitions are only known to the software. In fact, in many instances, the arm has to cover MORE ground to go back and forth between the OS's partition and any of the others, depending on where they physically are located on the HD. Fragmentation occurs at the same rate on many partitions as it does on one.
I sounded really gay with the "pretty" thing, didn't I?
Old 2005-07-21, 08:18 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
I sounded really gay with the "pretty" thing, didn't I?
Not really. Like I said, I know what you meant (or rather HOW you meant it). Sometimes that's the best way to describe something. I usually put it in quotes, if I have to use a "gay" word like that.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble