The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-02-16, 05:30 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: RIP Music Lounge? aka What's the Site Announcement Forum For?

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
The points/suggestions I brought up that I'd actually like to hear back on are:
-Why wasn't the fact brought up in this forum that the Music Lounge was being deleted? That's what this forum is for....if the matter had been posted here, and then maybe a short discussion then perhaps some points would've been raised by people who read this forum.....and also then a person wouldn't wonder what the heck happened without wading through all the "stuff" in the General Forum.
My bad. I guess the way I read this site is totally different than the way anyone else does. I just hit the New Posts button and I get all the posts and I just never look to see what forum the post is in. The was a post that addressed the issue of getting rid of The Piano Bar. It had also been brought up just the week before. I took a look in the forum and saw only, at max, a couple of posts a day in there. I just didn't see a problem with getting rid of it. And, the posts that were in there really didn't have many replies. So, not only was the forum not getting many threads started, but it didn't seem to be very active.

Quote:
-What about my suggestion that a thread creator could opt to have a post appear in more than one forum (and any follow-up posts)? Then if someone was worried that their posts may not get the proper attention, they can always "opt in" the General Forum. I have nooo clue how the programing on this site works so maybe it's a bit NO, but it's a suggestion.
That would involve some programming. I assume you would want more than just a "Redirect". A "Redirect" just leaves a pointer to the post in another forum, but it doesn't bump when the other thread bumps. Redirects also don't show post counts or thread views with them. But, even if we just put a redirect in one of the forums and the actually thread in another, that would require someone to manually do that to the thread. If you are talking about a thread that actually looks like it is alive in both forums but is actually only one thread, well that will require some programming. We are looking for programmers (there is a post in this forum and in Technobabble about that).

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-16, 05:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
And of course if the admins couldn't keep up they could have created temporary mods of some of the bored PW's...

Old 2005-02-16, 07:27 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

haha, yeah, bad suggestion I guess :-P

how about this suggestion though, how about a tounge-sticking-out-smilie-mawhatever? :-P
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-02-16, 11:16 PM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

You know what if all the people who want the piano bar had posted in their to begin with we would still have a piano bar. Plain and simple most of what should be in the piano bar was posted in GD. Sorry but the mods have other things to do besides moving disscussion threads all day.
Old 2005-02-16, 11:42 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
You know what if all the people who want the piano bar had posted in their to begin with we would still have a piano bar. Plain and simple most of what should be in the piano bar was posted in GD. Sorry but the mods have other things to do besides moving disscussion threads all day.
Why don't you check the history? People did post music related material there.
Old 2005-02-17, 05:53 AM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

I'm not going to win a popularity contest here by saying this,...but what do you think the Mods are for but to enforce the rules? YES, I know that they don't get paid, and YES I know they have a life to live but still there's a job to do (and I'm guessing they signed up for it without a gun to their heads). Really the only one I see put their foot down once in awhile is Lynne with a comment to behave or freezing a thread (Five and RD occassionally too) but the repeated mantra of "when there enough music related discussions" is holding about as much water as "I'll fix the leaks in my boat when it's sank down to the flag." I just did a very quick look at GD and out of the first 20 threads listed we have 8 that sure look like musical discussions:

Oasis to tour...
who played with....
The Jukebox Thread...
My CD List...
Interest in these shows...
Robert Randolph and...
Fan Clubs: Whats...
Musical Alphabet...

Obviously it's open to interpretation to the above (I definately say five of them are musical...other three ???), but in the time it took me to type out the headers,....wouldn't it take about the same to move them? Ok, a Mod might want to take an extra half minute to make sure on each one, but it didn't take me long to review them.
RainDawg is right,...a newbie hates to show up and see only one thread in a forum like a musical discussion....problem is....newbies plus others hate to wade through a bunch of other stuff to find musical discussion. If you take the music related threads out of GD "right now", then a music discussion forum will sure have more than one post.
Ever hear of a GI party? In the military that's when they pull everyone in a unit in on a weekend to clean up a building/area...no excuses, no vacation time off. How about a Mod party? Get all the Mods together for a couple hours over the weekend and relocate the appropriate threads. Heck, give me god mod for a couple hours and I'll extend Lynnes avatar down a couple inches
Now that I've probably got every Mod gunning for me I'll shut up.... Did I mention I love y'all?
(and I'm sorry that this thread may not still be as related to Site Announcements at this point, but I guess it's still Suggestions)
Old 2005-02-17, 08:45 AM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider
I did post threads and inside threads there whenever I saw something. Only problem with my threads is though that other people would find the article or whatever and post them in GD...
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-02-17, 09:28 AM
db.etree.org/chachi420
TTD VIP
206.73 GB/1.15 TB/5.72

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Maybe what we need to do is bring it back but with a more defined purpose. Like 'discussion of your favorite bands, tours, songs, and lyrics go on here'.

It seems that many people were confused about the purpose of The Piano Bar and that was part of the reason it wasn't being used.

I was confused about what the piano bar was for. Maybe a title like " General Music Discussion" would be a better description.
Old 2005-02-17, 09:35 AM
smile!
11.18 GB/48.46 GB/4.33

Toys started a poll:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3841

Vote for the Bar!
Old 2005-02-17, 09:39 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Poll going on here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=3841

Old 2005-02-17, 09:43 AM
smile!
11.18 GB/48.46 GB/4.33

Hey, I beat you to it for the second time.
Old 2005-02-19, 10:40 PM
LewZealand
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Or possibly that people assumed that it was, like GD, simply full of vapid discussion ?

A vote to re-create the music forum.
Stated much more eloquently than I was going to express it.
Old 2005-02-19, 11:05 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenreven
Hey, I beat you to it for the second time.
I thought I beat you to it the first time? Hmmm, or maybe I need a faster computer.

(Sorry, just noticed this.)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions