The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-03, 01:06 PM
15.94 GB/23.10 GB/1.45

Re: How do you organize your music on your comp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Well, Andy, there are two issues here. One is the lossy/lossless thing, the other is the DRM issue. The simple fact is that most of these things can be found as complete CDs for around $1 a song....

These online music services really aren't for collectors though, and I realize that. But I sure as hell won't be paying that much money for a stupid copy-protected lossy file. It's another example of coporations stealing from the ignorant.
Yep, couldn't agree more. I'd rather just buy the CD, as long as it's not copy-protected.

Quote:
Given a 5GB hard drive, I'd personally prefer an OGG-6 compressed from my own original CD...but that's just my choice. I always make them myself from the original source....
Hmmm... I never play the original CDs, I just rip them once then store them away. I used to convert all my CDs to LAME alt-preset-standard MP3s, but when I discovered lossless, I re-ripped and re-encoded my favourite albums in APE format. I doubt very much I could tell the difference in an ABX test (I've never tried), but... I dunno, it just makes me feel better to know that I'm listening to an exact copy of the music on the original CD. That's just placebo though. It helps when you have 400GB of storage available, but even that's going to be limiting me soon!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-03, 05:50 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
It's there on the shelf to look at but not to touch. Kind of like when I grab more shows than I can even listen to...
.... Okay, I'm depressed. I'm going back to bed.
Good to know it's a common obsession, right Nina ?..
Old 2004-12-03, 07:15 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Good to know it's a common obsession, right Nina ?..
:cyclops:
Old 2004-12-03, 09:42 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy L
Hmmm... I never play the original CDs, I just rip them once then store them away. I used to convert all my CDs to LAME alt-preset-standard MP3s, but when I discovered lossless, I re-ripped and re-encoded my favourite albums in APE format. I doubt very much I could tell the difference in an ABX test (I've never tried), but... I dunno, it just makes me feel better to know that I'm listening to an exact copy of the music on the original CD. That's just placebo though. It helps when you have 400GB of storage available, but even that's going to be limiting me soon!

I rip a couple of my favorite commercial cds to APE and keep them on my drive. After a while I delete them and rip a couple different ones. The reason for this is because of the cpu drain my CD drive causes. I can tell the difference in an a/b test most times, especially with headphones. But mostly I just want to pleasure my ears as much as possible. I went to the coffee shop on my way home today and they were playing Rush YYZ thru their piece of shit donut shop speakers and I enjoyed it tremendously. But whenever I can, I'll take the high road (as in high sound quality).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2004-12-04, 07:26 AM
12.41 GB/173.50 GB/13.98

my system is rather easy.

lossless
|_Sharable (artists who concent to live audio sharing
|_Artist
|_19xx-xx-xx.FLAC
|_Not Sharable (John Lennon, Beatles, Leo Kotke, blahblahblah

I used to keep my shows in 19xx, xx-xx, venue, city, state named folders, but I got lazy.

I currently have something like 120 GB of live lossless shows spread across three hds on my other computer. At least, I hope they're still there. I just moved and have yet to boot up my other computer. :-o

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble