The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-12-05, 07:27 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.39

RSS feeds?

Hi there,

I'm new here but experienced on torrent sites. I'm just wondering if there is an RSS feed for TTD? I haven't been able to find one and didn't see anything written about it upon doing a search.

Just wondering. Thanks,
Seth
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-12-05, 09:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: RSS feeds?

Searching the FAQ for "RSS" gives this: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...l&titlesonly=0 I don't use them, so I can't comment on them.

Old 2007-12-05, 04:37 PM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Searching the FAQ for "RSS" gives this: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...l&titlesonly=0 I don't use them, so I can't comment on them.
Not sure how I didn't find it but thank you very much. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Seth
Old 2008-02-04, 12:52 AM
45.52 GB/86.88 GB/1.91

The links given in that FAQ answer give a feed to every single post on TTD - which includes a lot of forum posts. Is there an RSS feed for just new torrent posts?
Old 2008-02-04, 12:59 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupietz View Post
The links given in that FAQ answer give a feed to every single post on TTD - which includes a lot of forum posts. Is there an RSS feed for just new torrent posts?
You can ask for threads only in specific forums (like the torrent forums). However, you must be logged into the site in order to view those forums, so I don't think you will get a feed from them.

Old 2008-02-05, 02:50 PM
45.52 GB/86.88 GB/1.91

[quote=U2Lynne;789193]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kupietz View Post
You can ask for threads only in specific forums (like the torrent forums).
It doesn't work, it appears TTD's RSS software is broken. http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...l.php?type=rss works perfectly well, but does not include Torrent posts - but http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...s2&forumids=12 (which should produce the audio torrent posts) just generates a blank feed with no articles. My RSS client validated the feed, I can log in and it's working, it just doesn't include any articles.

Quote:
However, you must be logged into the site in order to view those forums, so I don't think you will get a feed from them.
Fetching the forum-specific feeds with the same browser I'm logged in with is still producing blank feeds.

Kind of a shame, no other tracker I'm a member of (Lossless Legs, Dimeadozen, Yeeshkul, Tapecity, MindWarpPavilion, Zomb, Pink Robert, Jam To This, Long Live Rock) has any trouble producing an RSS feed of new torrents - just TTD. Would be nice if it worked, since other than Dime, TTD is my favorite tracker in terms of the content, but between the digest-style-only email announcements and the lack of an RSS feed, this one requires far and away the most time and effort to find out about new torrents.

I hope you don't think I sound ungrateful - not that I don't appreciate you guys' work, just, it would be nice if TTD could do what every single other tracker can.

Last edited by kupietz; 2008-02-05 at 02:57 PM.
Old 2008-02-05, 03:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

The two on your list that are vbulletin sites are JamToThis and TapeCity and theirs works because you don't need to be logged in to view the torrent forums. After the problems with the Zeppelin torrent, we made it so you have to be logged in to view the forums and that is when the RSS feeds stopped working. I'd have to hack the code to make it work for those two forums. I have no idea how much effort that would take since I haven't even glanced at the code for the rss feeds.

Old 2008-02-05, 03:28 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, modified - we'll see if that works. It will only work for ABT or for VBT alone, if you want other forums then have them in the forumids but not with 12 or 13. I'll have to modify it more later to work if you have both in the forumids. It will only give you the thread title and a little bit of the text. If you click on the 'more' (or whatever it says), then you must log in to read more.

Just want to clarify that this will only work if you ask to see either of those forums. If you just ask for the default RSS feed, ABT and VBT threads will not show up.

Old 2008-02-05, 03:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

OK, modified again. I think it will work as normal only allow ABT (forum 12) and VBT (forum 13) to be included. However, as I said above, you must be logged in to view ABT and VBT, so if you click on a link to see more of that thread, you will have to login.

Now, I'm off to vote.

Old 2008-02-05, 04:04 PM
45.52 GB/86.88 GB/1.91

Quote:
OK, modified - we'll see if that works. It will only work for ABT or for VBT alone, if you want other forums then have them in the forumids but not with 12 or 13.
Now that's what I call service....

Works like a charm, exactly what I wanted. Thanks a heap, Lynne!

Mike
Old 2008-02-06, 04:17 PM
1.14 TB/5.36 TB/4.72

Damn, just what I was thinking/wanting and here it is! Thanks U2Lynne :-)

I did get lucky, as searching for "rss" in this forum returned no results (too short a string, I reckon). May be worth updating that FAQ entry to specify how to get just the torrent lists. I bet there are a lot of people who'd like to get that.

TTD just became that much better.
Old 2008-02-06, 04:58 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThurstonX View Post
Damn, just what I was thinking/wanting and here it is! Thanks U2Lynne :-)

I did get lucky, as searching for "rss" in this forum returned no results (too short a string, I reckon). May be worth updating that FAQ entry to specify how to get just the torrent lists. I bet there are a lot of people who'd like to get that.

TTD just became that much better.
Good idea. I'll go update that and maybe put an RSS link at the top of ABT and VBT.

Old 2008-02-08, 01:08 PM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Good idea Lynne. Thanks for the heads up, as I find it much better to be able to see what's been put up - at a glance.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble