The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-11-29, 02:07 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBC
when loading flac files into TLH to verify the encoding i get the message saying "At least one of the required subcomponents was not found".Processing will be terminated.what subcomponents am i looking for.All previous versions have worked.thx tbc
You'll get this error message if one of the following files cannot be found in your Windows directory (usually C:\WINDOWS): auCDtect.exe, cygwin1.dll, flac.exe, mac.exe, metaflac.exe, shntool.exe, shorten.exe
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-11-29, 02:28 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn
I was converting shn to flac using TLH, I'd get a error
"skipping unknown sub-chunk "id3" '. I'd changed the name of two files, I'd get this error, when I put the orginal
names back everything was fine. Does this have to do with tags?
Skipping sub-chunk header data is *not* an error but previous releases of Trader's Little Helper in some cases *do* report an error and stop processing. Please upgrade to the latest release which is v1.1.1 build 90 (you can get it here).
Old 2006-12-03, 01:06 PM
65.70 GB/77.07 GB/1.17

What does this mean?

I'm Losing You.wav: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'LIST'.

There were errors.

Create checksum file was cancelled.

What's the problem and how do I fix it?
Old 2006-12-03, 03:26 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiletjake
What does this mean?

I'm Losing You.wav: skipping unknown sub-chunk 'LIST'.

There were errors.

Create checksum file was cancelled.

What's the problem and how do I fix it?
Skipping sub-chunk header data is *not* an error but previous releases of Trader's Little Helper in some cases *do* report an error and stop processing.

This was fixed with the latest release v1.1.1 build 90 that you can download here.
Old 2006-12-03, 03:52 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey roann, I just wanted to say Thanks for having this thread here and for checking it in a timely manner. People really like this software and it really helps to have one thread where they can post about their problems or experiences.

Old 2006-12-03, 11:57 PM
Mr. Yummy
28.75 GB/36.93 GB/1.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Hey roann, I just wanted to say Thanks for having this thread here and for checking it in a timely manner. People really like this software and it really helps to have one thread where they can post about their problems or experiences.

Ditto.

BTW Lynne, love the sig.
Old 2006-12-04, 12:20 AM
65.70 GB/77.07 GB/1.17

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann
This was fixed with the latest release v1.1.1 build 90 that you can download here.
Hmm I guess not since that was the version I've dowloaded. The problem still occurs.
Old 2006-12-04, 06:23 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Hmm I guess not since that was the version I've dowloaded. The problem still occurs.
1) I suppose you're encoding wav files. What's the target format (ape, flac, shn)?
2) In addition I need to know *all* the settings used on the "Encode ..." tab (maybe a screenshot?).
3) Is there a way to get my hands on one of the files TLH refuses to process properly?

Robert
Old 2006-12-04, 07:28 AM
65.70 GB/77.07 GB/1.17

Quote:
1) I suppose you're encoding wav files. What's the target format (ape, flac, shn)?
2) In addition I need to know *all* the settings used on the "Encode ..." tab (maybe a screenshot?).
3) Is there a way to get my hands on one of the files TLH refuses to process properly?

Robert
1)FLAC
2)Sure. I've also tried without creating a checksum file but I got the same problem. TLH
3)No need for that. I solved it by first encode the file with FLAC frontend and then make that checksum file with TLH. The file sounds great, I've also listen to the file that was created with TLH when the problem occured and it sounds exactly the same. So I guess that it's nothing wrong with the file itself.
Old 2006-12-04, 09:12 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
1)FLAC
2)Sure. I've also tried without creating a checksum file but I got the same problem. TLH
3)No need for that. I solved it by first encode the file with FLAC frontend and then make that checksum file with TLH. The file sounds great, I've also listen to the file that was created with TLH when the problem occured and it sounds exactly the same. So I guess that it's nothing wrong with the file itself.
Thanks for your answers and the screenshot. It helps a lot to know where to look at the source code ...

As I said before there's *nothing* wrong with your file. What's wrong is the TLH procedure that captures the output of the encoding subcomponent. But it's *very* difficult to fix such a bug without a test file that TLH won't encode. So it would be great if you could send me such a file or tell me where I can download it (if you are familiar with an audio editor shorten that wav file down to about 30 sec length, and ensure that TLH can't handle encoding it).
Old 2006-12-12, 05:06 PM
65.70 GB/77.07 GB/1.17

Quote:
Thanks for your answers and the screenshot. It helps a lot to know where to look at the source code ...

As I said before there's *nothing* wrong with your file. What's wrong is the TLH procedure that captures the output of the encoding subcomponent. But it's *very* difficult to fix such a bug without a test file that TLH won't encode. So it would be great if you could send me such a file or tell me where I can download it (if you are familiar with an audio editor shorten that wav file down to about 30 sec length, and ensure that TLH can't handle encoding it).
OK I'll send a PM to you with the link.
Old 2006-12-20, 02:02 AM
636.57 GB/512.32 GB/0.80

I apologize if this question has already been addressed. I didn't see it though.

Lately I have been getting a lot of error messages on entire files. It will say this on every line: file does not exist, or cannot be opened.

When I decode and listen everything sounds fine. I've tried re-downloading and I still get this error on the same files.

Any ideas?
Old 2006-12-20, 10:51 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Question Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppHead72
I apologize if this question has already been addressed. I didn't see it though.

Lately I have been getting a lot of error messages on entire files. It will say this on every line: file does not exist, or cannot be opened.

When I decode and listen everything sounds fine. I've tried re-downloading and I still get this error on the same files.

Any ideas?
Based on your insufficient information (task you did perform, type of files, settings, for example) I only can tell you some general things about the error message.

1) "file does not exist, ..."
Let's say you've added the file "C:\MyDir\Track01.flac" to the list. The file "Track01.flac" can not be found in the directory "C:\MyDir" when processing the file list.

2) "..., or cannot be opened"
The file was found in the given directory, but can not be opened/read because a) it is corrupt, or b) another programm has opened it and denied read access for other programs.

Robert
Old 2006-12-20, 02:33 PM
636.57 GB/512.32 GB/0.80

Quote:
Based on your insufficient information (task you did perform, type of files, settings, for example) I only can tell you some general things about the error message.

1) "file does not exist, ..."
Let's say you've added the file "C:\MyDir\Track01.flac" to the list. The file "Track01.flac" can not be found in the directory "C:\MyDir" when processing the file list.

2) "..., or cannot be opened"
The file was found in the given directory, but can not be opened/read because a) it is corrupt, or b) another programm has opened it and denied read access for other programs.

Robert
Sorry. Let me provide more info.

I click on Add in TLH. I open 3 MD5 checksum files. They are all in the same file as the SHNs. When I click Verify there are errors on all files and the error message I stated above is on every line of the process log. This has happened on several different complete files I have downloaded. I can decode and listen with no problem but the fact that there are errors makes me think something is wrong. I have tried downloading the same files again to the same results. I have tried uninstalling TLH and reinstalling and nothing has changed.
Old 2006-12-21, 01:19 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Arrow Re: Trader's Little Helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeppHead72
Sorry. Let me provide more info.

I click on Add in TLH. I open 3 MD5 checksum files. They are all in the same file as the SHNs. When I click Verify there are errors on all files and the error message I stated above is on every line of the process log. This has happened on several different complete files I have downloaded. I can decode and listen with no problem but the fact that there are errors makes me think something is wrong. I have tried downloading the same files again to the same results. I have tried uninstalling TLH and reinstalling and nothing has changed.
Thanks for the additional info! Because your shn files can be decoded properly a) something is wrong with(in) the checksum file, or b) the checksum file is not located in the folder it should be.

Please check the file names given in the TLH error messages with the file names on your drive. If they do *not* match either the shn files were renamed after the checksum file was made or you were given a wrong checksum file.

If the file names do match read on. Checksum files only make sense if they can be used on *everybody's* machines, i.e. they need to be as independent as possible from the folder structure of the storage media they will be created on. That's why there is a root folder involved: all file paths in the checksum file will be listed based on that root folder (so you don't need to know what folder structure is above the root folder). That means that only files located in the root folder and its subdirectories can be added to a checksum file.

Example: The given folder structure is C:\music\lossless\Iron Maiden\IM2003-xx-xx.shnf with two subdirectories of IM2003-xx-xx.shnf called disc1 and disc2. If you choose IM2003-xx-xx.shnf as root folder, all files located in IM2003-xx-xx.shnf and its subdirectories may be added to a checksum file. In the checksum file files will be listed as follows:

693d0a41fd911fffcf0f4f03438eb34d *back.jpg
7a9c9ccac7db0bea78c43e41574fd777 *front.jpg
9c711bdb5e9082606196e04f818eaf6f *info.txt
b19dcc4fe60118f538ec9634cb9847bc *disc1\track01.shn
5441dd41650e52f929c47bec2d20d1a5 *disc2\track05.shn

Please open TLH, select "Verify checksum files", and add one of the md5 files. Double-click on the name of the md5 file. A new window will open that shows you the contents of the checksum file. If the md5 file is located in the same folder as the shn files you should see only lines like the first three ones in the example above. If there are lines like the last two ones in the example above you have to move the checksum file to the folder above the one it is located in right now. But if the checksum file is located in the right folder and if the file paths in the checksum file are correct then the checksums given must be wrong.

Robert

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper