The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-07, 05:44 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Re: Burning .md5 and .txt files to DVD-Video discs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Nero Express ( I use this exclusively) can do this, but you need to burn a data DVD project and add the Video_TS, blank Audio_TS, and extra files into the root by hand. Note that these extra files make it a "non-standard" DVD, and as such some finicky players will refuse to read them. My Sony does not work when extra files like this are added, though most cheaper (read: hackable) players have no issue with them. Test this to make sure it works on your personal standalone.

Also, never do this when burning discs for other people in a trade, as it's rude to presume they have a player that can read out of standard discs. Only burn these for personal use.
Stephen,

How do you set the path for the MD5's if you're placing them in the "EXTRAS_TS" folder ?? When I put them in the root, I simply append a "VIDEO_TS\" before the file name, but when I try that in the Extras folder, it doesn't point to the Video_TS subdirectory. What am I overlooking (I suck at logic sometimes )
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-07, 07:18 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
Are you changing the original file dates in the "compilation properties" settings ?
No, at all, and it's really strange as some discs are burnt without any change. Weird for sharing discs I wonder if it has something with hard disc partition type - I have NTFS.

I just registered at videohelp.com and will try to find answer there as well.
Old 2005-03-07, 10:48 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphy
Thanks for the replies. I was able to burn a disc with the .txt, .md5 and .jpg coverart to the root using RainDawg's method. The disc then played fine with WinDVD on the computer but failed when I tried it in my Sony DVD player. I got the 'no disc' error.
Yeah, my Sony player does the same thing...thinks for a few seconds and then says "no disc". Sometimes it says "the disc may be dirty", but that's rare .

By the way, most cheaper players will run through these fine. Sony has extra checks for compliance to standards, presumably to prevent people from inserting pirated discs. The cheaper players (Apex, Mintek, etc) just don't have these extra "features" and tend to play anything you put in them, standard or not. How's that for a bit of reverse logic? Anyhow, if you're thinking of "upgrading", you can do so for around $40 - $50 these days with one of those brands, and most of them will do out-of-standard, PAL, VCD, SVCD, and even DivX too.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-03-07, 10:51 PM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazoo2u
How do you set the path for the MD5's if you're placing them in the "EXTRAS_TS" folder ?? When I put them in the root, I simply append a "VIDEO_TS\" before the file name, but when I try that in the Extras folder, it doesn't point to the Video_TS subdirectory. What am I overlooking (I suck at logic sometimes )
Hmmm...I actually don't add extra files to any of my discs, as it causes my player to refuse to play them. Many people on this board do, and I've heard of adding an extras_ts folder as well as just putting the extra files into the root of the disc while adding video_ts and audio_ts underneath of it. I would try either of these and see which your DVD player is willing to accept. They are all finicky in their own ways, and since we're dealing with out-of-standard DVDs, there's no telling what problems might arise by doing this.

Like I said, I can't really point you in any direction though, as I always burn in standard discs for myself. I keep the info files in my online tradelist/database site, and rarely ever archive artwork (just not interested in it and not worth the effort to me).
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-03-07, 10:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
BTW: I notice strange problem with burning DVDs under Nero 6.6.0.6. All BUP and IFO files are changed, and do not match md5 verification! The change is subtle, just one bit (?) when compared in a hex editor - the file size is not changed. However, disc play without any problem.

Any explanation?
I have heard of this happening. A thread was started here about it happening using Toast Titanium (a Mac CD/DVD burning app) and then some people chimed in about it happening on PCs also. I think I've also seen a couple of other threads that mentioned it. Try doing a search in Techno and see what comes up.

Old 2005-03-07, 11:17 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I remember that thread...

as I recall the solution was to burn burn as data disc not a video disc.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-04-16, 03:11 PM
4.90 TB/4.78 TB/0.97

Icon4 dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

im new to the traders den but certainly not new to trading, so hello all.

ive recently received a few dvdrs in trades that are not in the same format as the original torrent seeds on this site. i.e. the files (IFO,BUP,VOB) on the discs are not the same names and or sizes. Most didn't even have md5's or txt files either (BUT thats another secondary point to be dealt with).

From what i can gather someone along the line has simply dropped the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder into some dvd software and re-authored the dvd. For those of you who understand what im talking about this means that the (IFO,BUP,VOB) files are not the same as the original (1 title sequence has become 7 in one case. 1 title sequence for each original vob in the source). In other words content has stayed the same but the show has been physically changed. This is analogous to taking a SHN show and rearranging the track boundaries and then trading it again (without the text file and md5's to boot).

Theres absolutely no way this would be an acceptable practice in trading SHNs

Sooo, is there a document somewhere that covers these things (i.e how to properly copy a dvd) or is this something that we need to put together ? I would be more than willing to do this but i need to make sure that im not duplicating efforts other places. If we do put together a document, we can also put together specific instructions for properly copying dvds using specific brands of software, depending on what people are using.

It benefits us ALL to help make sure that everyone is aware of the proper way to copy these shows.

Suggestions, solutions, pointers to this information already ?
Thanks !

BP

(sorry if this has already been covered but i did a search and couldn't come up with any hits on this subject. )
Old 2005-04-16, 03:35 PM
jack your body
379.68 GB/353.76 GB/0.93

Re: dvdr trading formats/standards discussion ?

isnt that a data disc, like a back-up, i know thats not uncommon in dvdr trading
Old 2005-04-16, 03:44 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i've encountered the same problems at times...unfortunately, dvd trading hasn't "monitored" itself to the extent audio trading has...i could be wrong, but i actually haven't seen many guides to trading DVD shows...it definitely needs to be addressed at this point though...

i am currently putting together a comprehensive "Newbie's Guide to Trading", with everything from setting up software preferences to ettiquette to brands of discs...i haven't even approached the dvd format yet, but definitely should...maybe we could all pool resources and get something together re: the subject...maybe this thread'll spark some talk?!

as a side note, this is technically not in the right forum...it should be in Technobabble...not a big deal though, i'll just alert the mods to move it over there...good topic though...lets see what some of the others say...cheers!
Old 2005-04-16, 03:51 PM
spontabmark
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i don't see how DVDs can be monitored in this way as many DVDs are from VHS and there is no correct or original authoring, that is if i'm understanding this thread correctly
Old 2005-04-16, 04:02 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by spontabmark
i don't see how DVDs can be monitored in this way as many DVDs are from VHS and there is no correct or original authoring, that is if i'm understanding this thread correctly
DVDs can be properly monitored in the sense that once authored to DVD, no changes should occur [as bpurvis noted--one sequence becoming seven, etc]

re: VHS sourced material, the lineage should be clear and exact about the generation of the tape, the equipment used to transfer fom VHS to computer, and the programs used to capture/author...once authored, a md5 should be made in order to verify [just like with audio shows]

dvd trading needs to be held to the same standards as audio...once "encoded" and authored, no changes should ever occur...a text file with ALL the proper info should be included [ESPECIALLY lineage] and a .md5 checksum...otherwise, all you got is a VIDEO_TS folder and nothing to verify what you actually have is the same...
Old 2005-04-16, 04:12 PM
Eater of Babies
5.95 GB/875.14 MB/0.14

Just curious in regards....how do you ensure that it is the same when you make a copy for someone else? I've heard that burning programs slightly modify the IFO files. Maybe I just read wrong somewhere along the line. I'm totally with it on the md5 part but do burning programs change IFOs even in the slightest?
Old 2005-04-16, 04:13 PM
spontabmark
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

are we talking about just torrenting DVDs or DVD trading as a whole? surely there will be many different people with VHS of a particular show that will author it themselves, hence, meaning different DVD files. does that mean once one person has authored a DVD of it no one else should and the only DVD that should be traded is that one? and what about if someone authors a DVD with no chapters or chapters every 5 mins, is that no allowed to be reauthored for correct chapters? sorry, just trying to understand what is meant
Old 2005-04-16, 04:13 PM
10.01 GB/7.17 GB/0.72

Firstly when authoring a DVD it is always handy to at least have the generation on the menu somewhere, I have way to many vid(x)'s which I'm sure when authored were from known gens.
Secondly, I agree that a DVD shouldnt be re-authored, except for standalone menus & no correct chapter points. In these cases if I really like the DVD I will re-author it which changes the files, but then I will at least try note the author & DVDR gen if possible.

Most communities are so unorgnaised & couldnt care less, they should all take a note from Nirvana's book

Ozzyzak: Surely MD5's of your disc & the burnt disc will show if there are any differences.
I think Nero is the main file modifier, it re-arranges to make the DVD more compatible, it says "no files modified" but i think it does change them, I may be wrong there though
Old 2005-04-16, 05:11 PM
4.90 TB/4.78 TB/0.97

re: programs modifying various files.

I think the main problem here is "how" you are instructing the program to burn the dvd. Most dvd software will allow you to make a "data" disc and a "dvd-video" disc. What people dont understand is that a "dvd-video" disc is STILL a "data" disc, it just conforms to a specific naming/directory scheme. All the files in the VIDEO_TS directory have to be the right format and properly named, etc.

I *believe* the UDF format is the native format for dvds. I *believe* the UDF format is just some additional info on top of an ISO-9660 format. I *believe* CONSUMER decks wont recognize a dvd unless it has the additonal UDF data. (i could be wrong though, i need to check these or someone who knows please correct me, and provide a link to the details so we can all get learned ).

Personally i use nero (when im not using linux) and i DONT choose the dvd-video option when burning. I use the DVD-ROM UDF/ISO hybrid option and burn the files IN THE PROPER DVD FORMAT and i have no trouble watching them on my computer and others have told me they have no problems on consumer decks. I also only have to burn one disc as the archive is also watchable. it also doesnt touch the files. why should it, if it did nobody would use it. Would you want some program twiddling the bits on your data discs ?

Now if you use the "dvd-video" option who knows what it might do because the watchability of the video is the point in that case, not the integrity of the "data".

NOW, to confuse things even more, If you are "authoring" a dvd (from the files you downloaded) with the software then it assumes you are creating the disc from scratch and ALL bets are off for an exact copy at that point.

hope that makes sense and i didnt screw anything up, please correct me if i did.

So, yeah we definitely need to put together some info on this and explain the options and results to people, especially how to get an exact copy.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble