The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-01-05, 09:28 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Re: What computer hardware/software to use to get cassete to computer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
... I don't know much about Alesis Masterlink ML9600. Alesis makes solid stuff. on some sources I sit for 8 hrs listening to a song and tweaking EQ .5 db to get just the right balance and I have to see the meters while I'm doing it. If your really serious about getting the most from your tapes, you'll have to crossfade tape flips and patch drop outs ect in post processing still even if you EQ on the alesis. I think I would rather cut the onboard EQ out and do it all in one fell sweep in post processing, but thats just my preference.
I'm not sure what point you're making in the first instance; the Alesis has meters. When tweaking the EQ, the Alesis allows you to switch it in and out whilst monitoring to judge the effect, as can be done with any of the other signal processing features.

The only thing it doesn't do is a crossfade between two separate tracks - you can fade each of them to silence, join them to each other (with or without fades), crop them, but you can't superimpose the fade-out of one onto the fade-in of the next. Drop-outs are easy to crop out.

I find the front panel controls of the Alesis to be far more intuitive and user-friendly than, for instance, the Audacity interface. Operations which are a press of two buttons on the Alesis require selection, menu, drag etc with the mouse, and seem to be far more cumbersome on the PC.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-01-05, 10:04 AM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

I'm not saying what your using is bad or wrong, but for the degree of editing I do, I couldn't make due with what the alesis has to offer

I'm working on a show right now and there are a few, maybe 4 instances where the volume spikes intensly. There are multiple left and right channel dropouts that need spliced/patched, and I have to crossfade 4 tape flips. It needs a good eq, some light compression, and the stereo image needs centered and widened. With all of these, I used a phase scope, and FFT meter, and a spectral meter in the audio montage utility of wavelab. I fix in montage, set my plugs, do one render and it's totally cleaned up. I also have the luxury of the undo button where your tweaks are in the transfer and permanent. If you don't like it after your done, your stuck doing another transfer. I can render and undo 10 times in the same time span it would take you to retransfer if I needed to with no ill effect to the files or tapes ect ect.

Not sure how using the alesis would be better (for me) than using a cheaper korg MR-1 that can double as a field recorder, and transfers in DSD coupled with wavelab and UAD cards for my needs.

If you want to d a down and dirty EQ then be done, the alesis looks great. I guess it just depends on what degree you want to go to. Just laying all the options on the table
Old 2009-01-05, 10:26 AM
13.36 GB/51.98 MB/0.00

Hey Direwolf,
As l stated in my first post, l have probobaly a 1000 or so cassettes to record.
l dont believe "sending them out to a pro", would be cost effective. l would also like to do some editing on my own. Some tapes have "filler", etc, l would like to delete, (or at least not have on my new recording). l have got some good advice here so far, and am very appreciative of the folks who have joined in this post! l suggest that rather than come here and take a big dump on all the fine people that have contributed here, that you simply just go read another post. Before l joined here, l was reading a post w/ freezer, and l think you also. lf l were the moderater here, l would have kicked you both off forever then and there. This forum is for people to exchange ideas/knowledge, not to blast one another. What part of "Trade", dont you get?

Anyways, no harm done. Please just move on.
mauserman
Old 2009-01-05, 10:38 AM
13.36 GB/51.98 MB/0.00

Well the Korg looks pretty damn cool! It could fill some of my other needs also!
However, after some discovery work, l learned that it has quite a few bugs. l do not mind to spend the money, just want something that works well. Anybody had any other experiences w/ the Korg? Or maybe something like it? Sure seems like a handy little item!

mauserman
Old 2009-01-05, 10:46 AM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

I know a lot of folks that use the MR-1000 and the results are wonderful as far as transfer quality, and live recording, but thats a bit bulky if your stealthing.

The M-1 is a lot smaller. I do know a few folks that have picked em up. What bugs are you referring too btw, just curious.
Old 2009-01-05, 10:51 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

if yer looking for high quality, i'm not sure using the M-1 w/ its mini phone jack in's is yer best option...just my 2cents
Old 2009-01-05, 10:55 AM
13.36 GB/51.98 MB/0.00

Hey Zeek,
just for starters you can check this out about the Korg.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...RWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

Last edited by mauserman; 2009-01-05 at 10:57 AM. Reason: mistake in url
Old 2009-01-05, 11:11 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauserman View Post
Hey Direwolf,
As l stated in my first post, l have probobaly a 1000 or so cassettes to record.
l dont believe "sending them out to a pro", would be cost effective. l would also like to do some editing on my own. Some tapes have "filler", etc, l would like to delete, (or at least not have on my new recording). l have got some good advice here so far, and am very appreciative of the folks who have joined in this post! l suggest that rather than come here and take a big dump on all the fine people that have contributed here, that you simply just go read another post. Before l joined here, l was reading a post w/ freezer, and l think you also. lf l were the moderater here, l would have kicked you both off forever then and there. This forum is for people to exchange ideas/knowledge, not to blast one another. What part of "Trade", dont you get?

Anyways, no harm done. Please just move on.
mauserman
I didnt take a dump in your thread.
either just hook up your tape deck or use a pro's services was my honest 2¢

why spend thousands when you're just going to hack at it anyway.
transfer > hack at it.. when you know what your doing..then spend the $$$$

if you knew what you were doing you wouldnt have asked the hardware question in the first place.

if you wish me banned, Im sure there is a request form around here somewhere good luck with that.
Old 2009-01-05, 11:20 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post

if you wish me banned, Im sure there is a request form around here somewhere good luck with that.

Old 2009-01-05, 11:38 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeek View Post
I'm not saying what your using is bad or wrong, but for the degree of editing I do, I couldn't make due with what the alesis has to offer

I'm working on a show right now and there are a few, maybe 4 instances where the volume spikes intensly. There are multiple left and right channel dropouts that need spliced/patched, and I have to crossfade 4 tape flips. It needs a good eq, some light compression, and the stereo image needs centered and widened. With all of these, I used a phase scope, and FFT meter, and a spectral meter in the audio montage utility of wavelab. I fix in montage, set my plugs, do one render and it's totally cleaned up. I also have the luxury of the undo button where your tweaks are in the transfer and permanent. If you don't like it after your done, your stuck doing another transfer. I can render and undo 10 times in the same time span it would take you to retransfer if I needed to with no ill effect to the files or tapes ect ect.

Not sure how using the alesis would be better (for me) than using a cheaper korg MR-1 that can double as a field recorder, and transfers in DSD coupled with wavelab and UAD cards for my needs.

If you want to d a down and dirty EQ then be done, the alesis looks great. I guess it just depends on what degree you want to go to. Just laying all the options on the table
Agree, faced with the type of process you're outlining above, the Alesis lacks some of these capabilities; it won't fix a single-channel dropout, as the crop facility crops both channels at once. EQ, limiting, normalization and compression it will do, but widening or centering/moving the stereo stage; not.

I disagree that I would need to 'retransfer' if I didn't like what I'd applied to one track; My approach would be transfer cassette, then make a copy of the transferred track on the HDD, and if needed revert to the copy as the 'raw' transfer.... But I'm coming at it from a different angle to you; most of what I transfer is the tapes I recorded myself over the years; which generally have consistent levels, have been in good storage and are free from dropouts etc. Most of my transfers are just a case of "transfer tape to Alesis; make track splits; fade at any tape flips; join/fade any split tracks over the tape flips; normalize to peak level" and I'm done. Generally no EQ, limiting, compression or anything.

Yup, I agree it looks as though you need something more than the Alesis offers; but it might still be a good option for the OP. If his tapes are free from major defects such as the volume spikes, etc.....
Old 2009-01-05, 11:46 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauserman View Post
Hey Thanx,
l already got that one figured out.
l was looking for away to make a
"high quality" recording of my cassettes.
l know that on some of my recordings,
l would want to turn the volume up at least.
Others could use some more bass, and maybe
the "flip" deleted when recording to CD.
l know they make cards with software included for
this purpose, just not sure wich way to go?
Would most likley want to have an EQ also.

Thank You for your reply,
and good luck in the new year!
All easily accomplished with the Alesis.

Last one - the Alesis boots up in 5 seconds - PC's don't !!!

Last one again - I have NO commercial link with Alesis. I just like their product, and use it almost every day.
Old 2009-01-05, 12:06 PM
197.82 GB/788.06 GB/3.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post

I disagree that I would need to 'retransfer' if I didn't like what I'd applied to one track; My approach would be transfer cassette, then make a copy of the transferred track on the HDD, and if needed revert to the copy as the 'raw' transfer.... But I'm coming at it from a different angle to you; most of what I transfer is the tapes I recorded myself over the years; which generally have consistent levels, have been in good storage and are free from dropouts etc. Most of my transfers are just a case of "transfer tape to Alesis; make track splits; fade at any tape flips; join/fade any split tracks over the tape flips; normalize to peak level" and I'm done. Generally no EQ, limiting, compression or anything.
I can see where that would work just fine for what you do. Some of the tapes I'm transferring are from 78 and certainly have a little wear and tear. I just can't think of too many tapes the I don't balance spots on the left and right channels independantly, of fix drop outs or something. I agree, I'm prolly a lil OCD there so some may not go to the trouble. I would rather do more surgical edits on particular pieces rather than do sweeping changes to the whole file. just a matter of preference

As for the 1/8" jack input. I've used a good set of balanced cables to go from my cr-5a to my edirol r-09HR and then did the same transfer from the cr-5A to my tascam HD-P2 and the difference was very minimal, if at all. I didn't get real in depth with it. Are there any comparisons done per cable connect type and audio loss anywhere? It is one point I toil with when I think about making the purchase. I would really like to go DSD without having to spend 1000 on the MR-1000

Some flaws are to be expected, Not saying it's without issues, but so far, I would still consider getting one, just to play with and probably will at some point. The tascam HD-P2 I can tell you is tried and proven as is the MR-1000.
Old 2009-01-05, 03:43 PM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

your tapes sound really important.

dont be a cheap bastard, get a C|24
Old 2009-01-05, 03:52 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

bah! Neve strips are the only way to fly

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-01-05, 05:15 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot View Post
your tapes sound really important.

dont be a cheap bastard, get a C|24
Oh, for goodness' sake.... he only needs 2 channels.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble