The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-01-22, 06:06 AM
Banned
795.31 MB/607.86 MB/0.76

how to prevent idiots from remastering already mastered shows ?

does anyone have any idea's as how to stop people from re-remastering an already mastered show that already sounds great and prevent them from ruining my hard work

any idea's ?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-22, 09:59 AM
User #69
11.53 GB/12.78 GB/1.11

Re: how to prevent idiots from remastering already mastered shows ?

Burn the tapes
Old 2005-01-22, 10:38 AM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I think a combined program of re-education camps and eugenics would do the job nicely.
Old 2005-01-22, 10:51 AM
Banned
795.31 MB/607.86 MB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
I think a combined program of re-education camps and eugenics would do the job nicely.

maybe confinement loaf !
Old 2005-01-22, 03:38 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

If you ever figure out how to do it contact me as I'll invest $$ for a percentage of the profits you'll make from every music company wanting to patent the process They've been trying to do the same as you for years I hear Just make sure you can't defeat it with a green marker!

Of course, you can always encode your recordings in Windows Media Format (I don't think it's been broken yet??) or the Apple format...don't know enough about either to really know if they can be made "lossless" Help with details someone?
Old 2005-01-24, 08:45 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

LOL Katz....all of those codecs have been broken. There's always a way to get the audio data OUT of a file once it's put in there.

The best way is to take FLAC fingerprints of your files before you send them out. Then post those to a webspace, and let people know whever you seen that show that if their files don't match your fingerprints, it's not the originally seeded versions.

This is something I want to implement for every single seed here, but have had a difficult time getting it started.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-24, 09:54 AM
Erich
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

If there was a way to create remastering process files it would work. What I mean is, instead of actualy doing any work to the file itself, make some batch type file for whatever audio program you used that mimics exactly what you did to get a better sound from the files. Include that in any reseed with the note that these are the original files, along with a way to make them sound great.

That allows for the subjectivity of remastering to exist without actualy having to fuck up the sound of the originals. It also allows anyone who gets the show to reseed or trade the original files, using their discretion of whether the "remastering" file is worth it.
Old 2005-01-24, 04:27 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Hey RainDawg - I was going to make the same comment about md5s (or some kind of sanity check), as that's kinda the thinking behind the thread on putting a watermark on video...the problem with it in either case is that the person has to know to check. Sadly, there's many people who either don't care,...don't know how to care,...or just buy off ebay (I'm speaking of people who really don't know anything about computers). But on your other comment...really?!?...I honestly didn't realize that the Windows Media format had been broken. I thought that was one of the holdouts yet, but then again, you can tell by my reaction that I don't pay a lot of attention to that format.

Erich - Interesting idea you have there....not to bring up that three letter word (i.e., mp3)...but there is a program that does something similiar to mp3's that allows you to raise/lower the overall gain of mp3's, but keeps the original info intact in case you ever need to go back to the original volume. I'm not advocating mp3's or anything, but it's really handy if you're putting them on a small player for the gym (and delete afterwards of course ) Check a search engine for a program called MP3Gain. That way you don't blow your eardrums out when listening to music from different sources.
Old 2005-01-24, 05:11 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You might try setting a better example and mastering your cassettes using a high-grade A>D converter and leaving them alone after that. Put the waves plug-in bundle down and step slowly away...

Last edited by New Homebrew; 2005-01-24 at 05:17 PM.
Old 2005-01-24, 09:19 PM
Erich
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapz
Erich - Interesting idea you have there....not to bring up that three letter word (i.e., mp3)...but there is a program that does something similiar to mp3's that allows you to raise/lower the overall gain of mp3's, but keeps the original info intact in case you ever need to go back to the original volume. I'm not advocating mp3's or anything, but it's really handy if you're putting them on a small player for the gym (and delete afterwards of course ) Check a search engine for a program called MP3Gain. That way you don't blow your eardrums out when listening to music from different sources.
Flac supports replaygain, which is exactly what youre talking about, but Im unsure if its a lossless addition. I think it is, in the sense that its metadata and not actualy a change to the audio, but since I dont use it i cant be sure.

It would be great if metadata EQ existed.

Last edited by Erich; 2005-01-24 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2005-01-24, 10:13 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

FLAC replaygain is metadata - no changes are made to the audio and the fingerprint stays the same.
Old 2005-01-25, 08:55 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Once again, Katz, the answer to your question....do I have to repeat it again?

foobar2000....

It'll scan and add replaygain tags to any file type, either for "album" mode or "song" mode. And it doesn't alter the audio content, so the fingerprints are the same.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-25, 04:59 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
foobar2000....
foobar2000??...what's that?

Actually RD, why don't you put it in your signature? "The Answer to all your Questions can be found in FOOBAR2000!"

To be honest, I never fool around (nor have a need to) with the volume on lossless material...I rarely mix one show with another (audio CD that is)...matter of fact, I haven't burned an audio CD for at least a year or so with the exception of the occasional quad>DTS conversion, and those would be taboo here so you'll never see them.
I usually just use dbPowerAmp to convert to mp3 (it has a volume normalize option) for taking on the road/gym/etc. When I'm listening to a show at home I like to just listen from start to finish...as long as the taper didn't fool with the volume too much I don't have to touch anything.

...and yes Dad, I delete those mp3's when I'm done...
Old 2005-01-25, 05:25 PM
Banned
795.31 MB/607.86 MB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
You might try setting a better example and mastering your cassettes using a high-grade A>D converter and leaving them alone after that. Put the waves plug-in bundle down and step slowly away...
if i were to do that i might as well keep listening to the cassettes and not waste my time !

why would one bother to tranfer cassettes to digital if not to improv the quality

i know people that have cdr from around 1985 that are starting to go bad so
as far as i can tell thats not a whole lot better than tape!

if you dont remaster do the whole world a favor and keep it analog
Old 2005-01-25, 05:50 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJA
does anyone have any idea's as how to stop people from re-remastering an already mastered show that already sounds great and prevent them from ruining my hard work
I bet the people who taped the shows you are "mastering" wonder the same thing about what you're doing.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble