The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-02-05, 10:18 AM
978.19 GB/866.57 GB/0.89

Re: md5 / text file database?

jeez, i don't understand why everyone seem so worked up over this SUGGESTION! i do use etree for audio, but they don't allow video. as for the aerosmith example, i understand that all that is here and how to find it, but what about shows that haven't been seeded here, but are common ones that people here trade, like phish, GD, etc.. it's like the standards here only go so far. if you download something here it's great, you get everything with it and it's all peachy. but, if you trade from someone here 90% of the time they don't have the info, etc for the show and usually seem like they don't care about it. i just got the beatles anthology vine in the mail, and the discs are a little scratched up, but whatever, shit happens. so, before i just blindly copied them and send them on their merry way, i took the time to find the md5s, etc for them, and guess what? 8 out of 10 discs didn't even come close to checking out! that means that everyone who got it before me got corrupted copies and are going to spread them around and "polute the pool" as they say. it was cool that i could find them with a little searching, but it kind of sucks that most people don't care about mantaining quality, especally since that's supposed to be what this site is all about. my original SUGGESTION was if we had a db for that info, maybe people would stick to it more, hence maintaining quality control. another example is that i got 2 kick ass phish shows through a trade here that i've been looking for awhile, but since i got them through a trade, i got no info with them. well, it just so happens neither were seeded here, so there is no where to find that info without trying to write people who might have it. i would even like to seed them here, but for all i know they might me corrupted as well. so, you see, this was just a suggestion to benefit the whole community, nothing to get your panties in a bunch over, just discuss with an open mind....
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-02-05, 10:34 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hey chewie, I think what you are seeing as people getting 'worked up' is actually people not fully understanding what you want. I think I understand what you want...

You want a place that keeps track of all shows, not just ones seeded here, both audio and video (unlike etree which is only audio) that will have the text file and fingerprints/checksums. That way, if you have the fingerprints, you can easily find the text file for your show, or alternately, if you have the text file, you can easily find the fingerprints/checksums.

However, as I mentioned above, that could end up being quite a project and quite a database. I do think it's an interesting idea, but I don't know if it would be best to have it a part of TTD. I think it would be great as it's own separate site though. I also don't think it would be too hard to set up a database or code it, however I know I have no time to take on something like that right now.

Old 2007-02-05, 11:02 AM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie420
! i do use etree for audio, but they don't allow video. .
They dont allow video seeds, but there is nothing that prevents you from putting the md5's in your comments/info about a show...there's a lot of people who do it already.
If you really want to do this, start a site and put it together.
Old 2007-02-05, 11:15 AM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie420
i took the time to find the md5s, etc for them, and guess what? 8 out of 10 discs didn't even come close to checking out! that means that everyone who got it before me got corrupted copies and are going to spread them around and "polute the pool" as they say. i...
how do you know they arent the 'right ones'...if i recall correctly, the vine started well before they were ever seeded here. Furthermore, if you received them, via Vine...they should have been DATA discs to begin with, containing the MD5 and text doc.
Its possible, the seeders had corrupted copies...either way, if people stopped using that piece of shit program NERO, we might actually start getting exact copies of discs when trading.
Old 2007-02-05, 11:41 AM
978.19 GB/866.57 GB/0.89

i agree that they shoud be data vines, but that isn't the case. i know they are the right ones because a few checked out, and some tracks on the bad ones did, where some passed. i don't think that we need another audio db, since etree has that under control, even non trade friendly bands. i just think that somewhere there needs to be a db for just dvds. i might try to put something together, but i have limited skills in that area and i'm not laid off for much longer, but i'll look into it. while we're on this topic, do any of you have the info for phish 7/29/03 II or 8/12/04 II?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions