The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-07-09, 12:28 PM
272.67 GB/268.33 GB/0.98

Re: Got a new router...having trouble getting connectable AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
I have same, did you restart the router and pc? should work.
yep, tried that a couple times actually. I seed with a laptop that's connected to the wireless network. There's a desktop on the network also, but I don't use it and the desktop is hardwired into the router. I've rebooted everything multiple times...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-07-09, 04:27 PM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

Did you try running Speed Test from utorrent. From there You can test the port (verify utorrent and router are looking at the same port).
Old 2009-07-10, 07:05 AM
272.67 GB/268.33 GB/0.98

yep, did that too....the router & utorrent are both using the same port...
Old 2009-07-10, 07:46 AM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

From Comand Prompt type ipconfig. Verify IP address is the same as router is set to. If not change the address in the router.
Old 2009-07-10, 08:34 AM
272.67 GB/268.33 GB/0.98

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
From Comand Prompt type ipconfig. Verify IP address is the same as router is set to. If not change the address in the router.
just confirmed the IP address of laptop is same as what I set up to forward in the router (192.168.0.101)...
Old 2009-07-10, 09:01 AM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

why two routers is a ridiculous idea in a standard network

Old 2009-07-10, 09:10 AM
4.86 GB/734.96 GB/151.30

Quote:
A router is a separating network element. It separates two networks and allows certain traffic to cross. Sometimes this is necessary in a network setup but for most home networks it only creates a lot of obstacles.

1. In default Gateway mode the second router does network address translation (NAT). This means computers connected to the second router can connect to computers connected to the first router but not in the opposite direction.

2. If you use Router mode on the second router: you have to configure "routes" on the first router and possibly your computer connected to the first router so that IP packets find their way into the subnet of the second router.

3. You have two separate ethernet networks and thus two "broadcast" domains. A broadcast in the first router's subnet reaches all computers connected there. The same applies to the second router. A broadcast will never cross the second router, though. This is an obstacle for applications that depend on broadcasting to locate other computers and services. Windows file and printer sharing is one example here. With the second router in between, computers on one side do not know about computers on the other side. You cannot search your workgroup for the computer on the other side even when they use the identical workgroup name. You will be able to access the other computer using the IP address directly (e.g. \\192.168.1.100\share) but that's usually a hassle and the IP address may change if it is assigned by the DHCP server to the computer. There are ways to deal with some of these issues (e.g. save the host names in lmhosts files...) but all this requires more effort and attention to keep everything up-to-date.

4. Port forwardings become more complicated. If you need a port forwarding (i.e. you want a port on a computer in your network to be accessible from the internet) on a computer connected to the second router you have to setup two forwardings: one on the first router to the second router and one on the second router to the computer.

5. If you have two wireless routers: you cannot roam between both routers without loosing the connection. This is simply because if a wireless computers moves from one router to the other it needs a different IP address.

6. The whole configuration becomes more complicated: you always have to think about where to configure what, e.g. dynamic DNS service, access restrictions, ...

Bottom line: unless you have good reasons why you must have some computers separated from the other computers in your network, there is no good reason to in a home network to do so. For normal home networking with simple to use file and printer sharing it is better to connect the second router as suggested in this post...
Old 2009-07-10, 04:17 PM
272.67 GB/268.33 GB/0.98

While I appreciate the responses, having 3 different people tell me I shouldn't have 2 routers is overkill. I've explained why I have a DSL modem and a wireless router hooked up. My DSL modem doesn't have wireless capability - hence the need for a wireless network (see: WIRELESS ROUTER). The router is brand new (and was free) so I'm not about to run out and buy a new DSL modem/router combo. DSL isn't very common in my area to begin with. Even my local best buy doesn't carry DSL modems. I live in the middle of Comcast Country, but I refuse to do business with Comcast - so I use Verizon DSL.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - even if my DSL modem + wireless router setup isn't ideal - this exact same configuration worked for over a year with NO issues at all. It's only been since my last router died and I replaced it with the exact same model that these issues began happening. Previously I had forwarded a port from the modem to the wireless router, then from the router to the laptop -- and it worked fine. Yet when I have tried to do that since getting the replacement router, I am unable to get the same configuration/settings to work this time. If my setup is "bad", I have yet to hear anyone explain how it is I was fully connectable for over a year with the same hardware/setup/config.

So even though many of you may think my setup is not optimal (and you may be right) there is still no reason why this setup shouldn't work since I had it working in the past with the exact same hardware. Thanks.
Old 2009-07-10, 04:51 PM
Not Impressed
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

with so many routers, you should know something about routing!
Old 2009-07-10, 07:05 PM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

Since you didn't pay for the router, maybe now is a good time to buy a modem. Ditch the combo.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble