The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-06-02, 08:15 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: High Resolution Recordings?

There's no such thing as recording in 5.1 to my knowledge.

Sometimes 5.1 mixes are done by fans in post by mixing a SBD (front 3 channels) and an AUD (rear channels), or by mixing an FOB (front 3 channels) and an OTS (rear channels).

When pros record in 32 track for a concert, there are sometimes two or three pairs of AUD mics i think scattered about. So an engineer could run a pair of AUD mics at the SBD, or further back, and then in post use just this pair for the rear two channels, and use the rest of the SBD mix for the front three channels. That's the best way to do it, because it's all precisely time coded together. When it's done in post from two sources that were recorded separately and not time coded, sometimes the synch can be a little off I think, even from two all digital sources.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-06-02, 08:44 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yes there is...for an audience recording, its just a pretty costly set up and takes some knowledge re: the rooms acoustics/placement/etc, which is why i was curious to hear one if you had any

just for clarification, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomful View Post

Sometimes 5.1 mixes are done by fans in post by mixing a SBD (front 3 channels) and an AUD (rear channels), or by mixing an FOB (front 3 channels) and an OTS (rear channels).
is not a true 5.1 recording

there's a few ways to achieve true surround recordings, the 2 most common being a double ms setup w/ a single point for yer center, or a 5-mic rig like the Microtech Gefell Spider...

but as i said, if you come across any audience recordings that are true 5.1 let me know, i'm really anxious to hear one...and ya gotta figure with something like the Spider out on the market, its only a matter of time til some trustafarian taper drops the dough and starts taping with one
Old 2008-06-02, 08:56 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

here's another little gadget a company called holophone has come up with...i haven't heard it in action, but its an interesting concept & really inexpensive compared to some of the other more traditional 5.1 set ups on the market

http://www.holophone.com/home.html
Old 2008-06-02, 09:14 PM
roomful
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

werd! thanks for the info, I hadn't heard of AUD recording in true 5.1 before, much less seen any recordings on the net.

For these to be circulated losslessly, and in a format that's currently available/affordable for everyone, uncompressed LPCM 5.1 DVD-A, or MLP lossless (big $$ for the encoder) 5.1 DVD-A would be the way to go. Lossless surround sound isn't part of the standard for DVD-V.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-06-03, 01:04 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggking7 View Post
Are there any high resolution recordings being traded here?
yes. Advanced Search "24-bit" in "Titles Only"

Quote:
CD audio is 16-bit/44.1khz, and high resolution stuff on DVD-Audio or SA-CD is typically 24-bit/96khz.
please read about DSD.

Enjoy the 24 bit bonaza here at ye olde Den (and burn it to yer DVD blanks with http://24bit.turtleside.com/)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble