The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-01, 07:45 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

want to get a dvd onto HD & then into sony vegas...

looking to get a dvd show from a standalone dvd recording onto my harddrive and then into sony vegas to synch up new audio...anyone have any ideas..
thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-02, 12:16 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Re: want to get a dvd onto HD & then into sony vegas...

Use DVD Decrypter ( http://www.mrbass.org/dvdrip/ ) to demux the DVD into m2v and ac3/wav files and then import them both into Sony Vegas.

Use IFO mode (press I in DVD Decrypter) and then go to the 'stream processing' tab and click the 'demux' checkbox.

Also, set File Splitting to 'none' - (Tools --> Settings --> IFO Mode) and set 'File Splitting' to None
Old 2007-11-19, 01:52 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

anyone else have any ideas...i tried the above and that didn't work...i am stuck..
Old 2007-11-19, 01:56 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

use tmpgenc xpress mpeg tools to demux into m2v and ac3/wav. then use tmpgenc to remux into mpeg2. import into vegas.

save your original m2v file. then once you have trimmed your new audio to length. remux it back together to use the original menus or make new ones.
Old 2007-11-19, 04:16 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

were you having problems demuxing or inputting the resultants into Vegas?
Old 2007-11-19, 06:12 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

getting it into sony vegas....i have an old version of tmpgenc..i run it through that & it will go onto my HD but will not let me put it into sony vegas..?
Old 2007-11-20, 03:17 PM
Seiwa-en
TTD VIP
515.69 GB/744.37 GB/1.44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwurock
looking to get a dvd show from a standalone dvd recording onto my harddrive and then into sony vegas to synch up new audio...anyone have any ideas..
thanks
When I want to sync up audio to a standalone dvd, I drag & drop the video_ts folder onto my HD. I then use VOB Merge 2.5 to merge the VOB files into one large VOB file. I then drop that file into Vegas and do the audio sync. Both audio and video will be displayed in the Vegas timeline. After the audio is synced up, I use DVD Lab Pro 2.0 to demux (sorry, I don't use TMPGEnc) that single VOB file into the original mpeg2 and the original audio which was attached to that. I exclude that original audio file, and use the synced audio in it's place, then author to DVD. Hopefully that provides some help to your situation.
Old 2007-11-20, 05:24 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlues
When I want to sync up audio to a standalone dvd, I drag & drop the video_ts folder onto my HD. I then use VOB Merge 2.5 to merge the VOB files into one large VOB file. I then drop that file into Vegas and do the audio sync. Both audio and video will be displayed in the Vegas timeline. After the audio is synced up, I use DVD Lab Pro 2.0 to demux (sorry, I don't use TMPGEnc) that single VOB file into the original mpeg2 and the original audio which was attached to that. I exclude that original audio file, and use the synced audio in it's place, then author to DVD. Hopefully that provides some help to your situation.
what version of Vegas are you using that allows you to input the .vob file. and why do you merge it? Are you sure it's not altering the files when it merges?
Old 2007-11-20, 08:44 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

i am using sony vegas 6....i have 2 shows from a standalone that will not go into vegas...i am going to try another show just to see if it will go into vegas...i haven't used my tmpgenc program for some time...maybe i forgot how.. ..but i have tried about 10 times to get those dvds into vegas with no luck....
Old 2007-11-20, 08:44 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlues

thanks for the info...will give it a try also...
Old 2007-11-20, 09:34 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

well i know it is not my tmpgenc program..i was able to get a dvd to work just fine and inport it into vegas.....now when i went back to try one of the standalone dvd recordings, the video was able to go into sony vegas but there is no sound...so all i get is just the video...i get this pop up..

the selected dvd contains a title with an unsupported audio format....

any ideas..?
Old 2007-11-20, 09:37 PM
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

i think ac3 is a separate plugin in some versions of vegas. i can't remember. maybe you need to install/register the ac3 part.

audio from standalone = ac3
Old 2007-11-20, 10:14 PM
stupid monkey
693.59 GB/1.07 TB/1.58

would i want to multiplex or demultiplex the dvd in tmpgenc program...?...the standalone dvd is in ac3 audio....

Last edited by bigwurock; 2007-11-20 at 10:22 PM.
Old 2007-11-21, 07:00 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

demultiplex (aka demux). Multiplex process joins separate video file (mpv/m2v) with audio (ac3/mp2/wav) into mpg or vob(s).

As Saltman mentioned: standard version of Vegas has not built in AC3 format read/write function, and you would need to purchase a separate plugin or I think better option would be to upgrade to 'Paltinum' version: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=447&PageID=88

I can't find now any info on the Sony pages about the plugin - maybe it's obsolete. When it was available it costed around $200, nonsense...

Please note that if you import AC3 and you will make any kind of editing the file will be re-converted which means degradation as the format is lossy.

There is a free and very good AC3 import plugin for Adobe Audition / Cool Edit Pro. Thus if you want to edit a file it can be an additional solution: http://www.vuplayer.com/audition.php
Old 2009-08-10, 11:18 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel View Post
demultiplex (aka demux). Multiplex process joins separate video file (mpv/m2v) with audio (ac3/mp2/wav) into mpg or vob(s).

As Saltman mentioned: standard version of Vegas has not built in AC3 format read/write function, and you would need to purchase a separate plugin or I think better option would be to upgrade to 'Paltinum' version: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...=447&PageID=88

I can't find now any info on the Sony pages about the plugin - maybe it's obsolete. When it was available it costed around $200, nonsense...

Please note that if you import AC3 and you will make any kind of editing the file will be re-converted which means degradation as the format is lossy.
There is a free and very good AC3 import plugin for Adobe Audition / Cool Edit Pro. Thus if you want to edit a file it can be an additional solution: http://www.vuplayer.com/audition.php
I want to edit a dvd made on a SA so AC3 here, does this mean it will definitely re-encode and be lossy? It was transferred from VHS and has snippets of the commercials etc. that I wish to cut out.

I have both Vegas Pro 9 and TMPGenc 3 and am trying to figure out how to use them, if there are any good tutorials someone could link it might help me.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble