The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2006-09-16, 10:01 AM
moebootz
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Lossy Source?

I'm putting together an srv show to seed. I'm trying to determine if it's mp3 source since an srv guru I know says one has to be careful because a lot of srv mp3 sourced shows are polluting the pool. So I opened all of the tracks in cool edit pro 2 and did a frequency analysis. The high ends have the signature mp3 look but I know this can't always be conclusive.

So I converted a track to mp3 @320. I figure you can't get back what's been taken away and if it's been an mp3 at a lower bit rate then converting to 320 would yield the same result as say if it were a 128 mp3.

There was a change in the frequency analysis result between the wav and mp3. So I converted the mp3 to wav and the freq analysis result was the same for the mp3 and wav and different from the original wav.

So I decided to compare the original wav to the wav > mp3 > wav using eac. The error message eac generated says "Different Samples." Also says there was almost .06 difference in length.

So ya think this is ok to seed? I've attached a few screen shots which I'll include in my file set.

Thanks
Moe
Attached Images
File Type: gif srv wav.gif
( 18.9 KB, 49 views)

File Type: gif srv wavtomp3towav.gif
( 18.9 KB, 35 views)

File Type: gif srv_wav_compare.gif
( 17.0 KB, 32 views)

Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-16, 10:31 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Lossy Source?

EAC is not reliable for spotting lossy sources

the test of converting and comparing is moot, if you convert a wav to mp3 to wav to mp3 again there will be differences in the files as well!

can you upload a 10-20 second flac of what you want to seed to rapidshare.de / megaupload.com or similar and post the link here?

also check here
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=4288

and here
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...splay.php?f=47

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-16, 11:19 AM
moebootz
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

OK I uploaded a 20 second flac to my web space:

http://home.comcast.net/~gotbootz/srv_test.flac

It's only 1.9 mb

Don't know how those other sites work and no time to f around there atm.

I know eac isn't good at spotting lossy. So I got to thinking on the grounds that you can't get back what was taken away. Then compare the 2 wavs in eac. Seemed reasonable but of course not real hehe.

Let me know what ya think five. I'm heading out the door in a couple hours and was hoping to get this going before i leave.

Thanks!

btw, ANALFreq sounds like someone obssessed with, ahhhh, well imagine
Or could be gay talk but then I've never been to a gay bar hehehe.
Old 2006-09-16, 11:40 AM
moebootz
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I just followed the suggestion for setting the colors for the sprectral view in cep. Nice tip. Now I looked at a file from the questionable show and one I know isn't from a lossy source. I think I have my answer and will look for something else to seed. But would like a more experienced person to tell me if I'm correct.

Thanks!
Moe
Old 2006-09-16, 12:33 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Looks 100% losstastic to me, mate.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2006-09-16, 12:56 PM
moebootz
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Looks 100% losstastic to me, mate.
Kinda thought so. Thanks fooks.

I got kicked out of an srv group because I jumped on a guy who had srv shows in mp3 on his site for download. He says it's to share with those on dial up and no burners. Of course I informed him that these people will now think they have a show to trade and the pool will get polluted. I told him it would be better if you did a bnp for them instead because it's more important to keep the trade pool clean than to share with everyone who knows how to turn a computer on hehe. Well, things got kinda nasty after that Am I surprised? not in the least.
Old 2006-09-17, 11:45 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by moebootz
I got kicked out of an srv group because I jumped on a guy who had srv shows in mp3 on his site for download. He says it's to share with those on dial up and no burners. Of course I informed him that these people will now think they have a show to trade and the pool will get polluted. I told him it would be better if you did a bnp for them instead because it's more important to keep the trade pool clean than to share with everyone who knows how to turn a computer on hehe. Well, things got kinda nasty after that Am I surprised? not in the least.
I totally agree with you

looks unquestionably lossy to me as well

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-10-02, 10:33 AM
71.60 GB/111.37 GB/1.56

Actually, considering that the frequency analysis you originally posted has NOTHING beyond 12KHz, you would already know that it is mp3 sourced. The window should show you up to 22KHz

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?