The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-10-16, 08:21 PM
ZenFractalJam
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DVD audio

Just bought a DVD burner and I am trying to burn my flac files to dvd so i can listen to them through my dvd player, and fit a fews show to a disc, but my nero program wont let me burn flac or shn. Only mp4 or aac formats are excepted. Can anyone help me figure out how to burn a dvd audio disc w/ flac and shn. Is there a plugin for nero? Is there another program that supports flac and shn?

Thanks for the help
Abro
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-16, 10:12 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: DVD audio

you can google for the flac plugin for Nero...i don't believe one exists for shn though.

probably best to convert the flac files to wav first, then burn to DVD Audio disc.
Old 2005-10-17, 02:13 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Has anyone had success with the DVD-Audio authoring program on sourceforge? Seems you can burn flac files as are, thus more room is available. I've been curious about it, though it hasn't been updated in some time.
Old 2005-10-18, 11:16 AM
110.06 GB/57.87 GB/0.53

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
you can google for the flac plugin for Nero...i don't believe one exists for shn though.

probably best to convert the flac files to wav first, then burn to DVD Audio disc.
The nero mega plugin I downloaded covered SHN IIRC. Check this link http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...gin-Pack.shtml

Last edited by alg; 2005-10-18 at 11:17 AM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-18, 11:24 AM
w00fers
TTD VIP
508.64 GB/369.25 GB/0.73

First off....

DVD-A is an audio specific dvd. You need to use DVD-A authoring software to burn a DVD-A disc....Nero won't do this.....

Secondly....you need a DVD-A player to play a DVD-A disc....a standard DVD player will not do.

DVD-A discs contain the audio info in the AUDIO_TS folder......You can burn regular audio to a DVD-A, as it supports a very wide range of sample rates and wordlengths......DVD-V on the other hand (which is what I think you are asking about), the files NEED to be 48kHz.....you can author a DVD-V with no picture, just an audio track that will play in ANY dvd player.....very easy to do.....

Marmar
Old 2005-10-18, 11:27 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmar
First off....

DVD-A is an audio specific dvd. You need to use DVD-A authoring software to burn a DVD-A disc....Nero won't do this.....

Secondly....you need a DVD-A player to play a DVD-A disc....a standard DVD player will not do.

DVD-A discs contain the audio info in the AUDIO_TS folder......You can burn regular audio to a DVD-A, as it supports a very wide range of sample rates and wordlengths......DVD-V on the other hand (which is what I think you are asking about), the files NEED to be 48kHz.....you can author a DVD-V with no picture, just an audio track that will play in ANY dvd player.....very easy to do.....

Marmar

NOT ONLY DO THEY NEED TO BE 48 KHZ BUT THEY NEED TO BE 24 BIT
Old 2005-10-18, 01:01 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort
um, a DVD-V disc of just audio doesn't have to be 24bit, i've authored many 16bit48kHz recordings to DVD-V...

DVD-Audio discs are 24bit...
Old 2005-10-18, 01:58 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort
Uncompressed LPCM audio on DVD-Video discs can be 16, 20 or 24-bit at either 48KHz or 96KHz.

Uncompressed LPCM audio on DVD-Audio discs can be 16, 20 or 24-bit at 44.1KHz, 48KHz, 88.2KHz, 96KHz, 176.4KHz or 192KHz.
Old 2005-10-18, 02:04 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
Has anyone had success with the DVD-Audio authoring program on sourceforge? Seems you can burn flac files as are, thus more room is available. I've been curious about it, though it hasn't been updated in some time.
I'm the author of that program. It hasn't been updated for a while for two reasons: 1) It does everything I want it to do; and 2) I don't have any spare time to work on it.

DVD-Audio discs can either have uncompressed LPCM audio (similar to WAV files), or audio compressed using the $2500 "MLP" lossless encoder (similar to FLAC).

My program can take FLAC files as input, but it uncompresses them and writes them to the DVD-Audio disc as uncompressed audio. So you don't gain space on the DVD - it's purely a convenience feature meaning that you don't have to uncompress the files yourself before creating the DVD-A disc.
Old 2005-10-18, 03:04 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
DVD-Audio discs can either have uncompressed LPCM audio (similar to WAV files), or audio compressed using the $2500 "MLP" lossless encoder (similar to FLAC).
Did Meridian license this to Dolby? I'm planning on putting togther a system using Meridian speakers to start with, and working up from there. I may need to consider getting the encoder at some time as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-10-18, 03:32 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
Did Meridian license this to Dolby? I'm planning on putting togther a system using Meridian speakers to start with, and working up from there. I may need to consider getting the encoder at some time as well.
I'm not sure of the legal arrangements, but Dolby is definitely involved - I believe they take care of the licensing of MLP encoders and decoders to third parties on behalf of Meridian.

As well as having to pay about $2500 for an MLP encoder, you will also need a high-end DVD-Audio authoring program (e.g. Discwelder Chrome - also around $2500) to use the resulting files. Most DVD-Audio authoring programs (including my own dvda-author, and commercial apps like Wavelab and Discwelder Bronze/Steel) only support authoring uncompressed LPCM.

An MLP encoder is only needed if the total bitrate of your audio exceeds 9.6 MBit/s (the maximum for DVD-Audio discs). As an example, 2 channels of uncompressed 24-bit/192KHz audio is about 9.2Mbit/s. So you can do a lot without needing MLP.
Old 2005-10-18, 04:56 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
I'm the author of that program. It hasn't been updated for a while for two reasons: 1) It does everything I want it to do; and 2) I don't have any spare time to work on it.

My program can take FLAC files as input, but it uncompresses them and writes them to the DVD-Audio disc as uncompressed audio. So you don't gain space on the DVD - it's purely a convenience feature meaning that you don't have to uncompress the files yourself before creating the DVD-A disc.
Ah, thank you for correcting me on that. I somehow formed the impression months ago that the program somehow created a FLAC player out of a DVD-A. Good to know.
Old 2005-10-19, 12:33 PM
w00fers
TTD VIP
508.64 GB/369.25 GB/0.73

On the subject of MLP....

I just recently purchased this encoder.....let me say that it kicks ass.....I've been taking many of my CD's, and ripping them then encoding them with MLP.....even though they are only 2channel 16bit/44.1 files, it is VERY nice to be able to put roughly 14hrs of music onto one disc in this fashion.....roughly 65hours of music in my changer at one time.....it's pretty nice to be able to do.....

The other nice advantage of having the MLP for DVD-A is for when I take the time to mix 2 sources into surround. I can afford to put about 2 shows per disc this way.....which is also pretty nice.......

The encoder is very simple to use, and it has the same basic interface as the DTS encoders out there.....The one I got is made by SurCode, so I think that's Minnetonka?....anyways, yes Dolby is involved with it, and it sucks that they charge so much for the damn thing.....now if we could only develop something opensource that does the same thing
Old 2005-10-20, 06:21 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmar
On the subject of MLP....

I just recently purchased this encoder.....let me say that it kicks ass.....I've been taking many of my CD's, and ripping them then encoding them with MLP.....even though they are only 2channel 16bit/44.1 files, it is VERY nice to be able to put roughly 14hrs of music onto one disc in this fashion.....roughly 65hours of music in my changer at one time.....it's pretty nice to be able to do.....

The other nice advantage of having the MLP for DVD-A is for when I take the time to mix 2 sources into surround. I can afford to put about 2 shows per disc this way.....which is also pretty nice.......

The encoder is very simple to use, and it has the same basic interface as the DTS encoders out there.....The one I got is made by SurCode, so I think that's Minnetonka?....anyways, yes Dolby is involved with it, and it sucks that they charge so much for the damn thing.....now if we could only develop something opensource that does the same thing
Let's see 14 hrs per DVD and my 200 disc jukebox... over 115 days of continuous music. Might just be worth it since my entire commercial CD collection would fill less than 1/2 the jukebox leaving room for 70 days of live music.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble