The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
• Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-24, 04:22 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: DTS shows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
good points, New Homebrew.

there was a discussion about DTS vs. DVD-Video (with PCM tracks for all surround channels) on DATheads a little while ago. as i recall, one or two people said they preferred the uncompressed PCM surround version, and one or two people said they preferred the DTS version... i forget the claims pro-DTS in those messages, but i think the creator of those Dead shows in DTS/surround basically decided he'd stick with DTS since it would fit onto CDRs.
I remember that, was planning to write a response to the list but never did. I don't think the issue of lossy encoding ever came up, which again, I would chalk up to widespread misunderstanding of the format.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-24, 05:02 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacejam1
Let me ask the group this, these torrents are torrented in shn format. How does the lossness occur may I ask. I guess it is lost when it is formatted to dts before its converted to shn??
You are correct. SHN isn't a conversion, it's a lossless compression process. It ='s WAV->SHN->WAV, unlike processing through a Codec like MP3 or DTS which would be like:
WAV->DTS->(LOSSY AUDIO, certainly NOT the original WAV)... or
WAV->MP3->(LOSSY AUDIO, certainly NOT the original WAV)

Ideally, you want full bandwidth capability on ALL channels.
Old 2005-03-24, 05:30 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Clapton "Remastered At the RAH" (ZETTI 022-1/2) has additional pseudo DTS, done in Adobe Audition from two channels wav.

I think that most commercial shows on DVD recorded before 199? are tricked same way as Zetti's.
Old 2005-03-24, 05:33 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

... and another point to consider about the whole DTS thing is this: it's, yet again, akin to AC3 audio... sure, on Hollywood DVDs an AC3 audio track can (and often do) sound absolutely terrific. but even a soundboard patch -> XLRs and other connectors -> stereo DAT recording isn't going to have quite the quality of "professional audio" where they have multiple tracks (at least one for every instrument + vocals + audience nosie to mix in as they please between songs). point being: hollywood dvd creators who make DTS and/or Dolby 5.1 mixes are starting with more (and better quality) sources to begin with and then using expensive hardware encoders.

so, it's quite a different thing to take a stereo audience recording (even an excellent one) and try to "create" surround sound out of a 2-channel source, even if you use the best software available.

of course, from most of the reviews i've read on the U2 officially released DVDs, most people prefer the PCM stereo track. so even in the cases of official DVDs (which had better audio sources to begin with, and more of them), a lot of people prefer the stereo anyway because of "poor channel mixing" in the surround audio.

at any rate, New Homebrew - i thought i remembered someone briefly posting a message on DATheads saying, "it's lossy," and then the only other real response to that was the creator guy (Dan?) saying he'd do two versions and send them to people to get listener opinions or something. but i've been up for 32 hours straight, so i could easily be totally off on that.
Old 2005-03-25, 05:27 AM
26.87 GB/18.55 GB/0.69

The dts versions that are put up are both sbd and aud combined together. Of course the shows that this can be done with are very limited as both sbd/aud have to be excellent. And there is a lot of editing that is done. The fellow at etree that has been doing this puts a tremendous amount of work in doing this. He is also doing 24 bit for dvd. Nice discusion here, not a lot of arguing, just info. I can handle and learn from this. I do have a question, how can there be so many sbd sources? I always thought that there was only one sbd source but appearantly I am wrong. A little confused about seeing several sbd sources. (unless several people had patches into the board which I do understand) Just wonderin....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble