The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-13, 05:00 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Slow Downloads....

OK..... I went into my router's options and opened up ports 6881-6999, which I didnt do before (I only did it in Windows Firewall). After I did that, and I am sure that all those things you all had told me to do helped too, I booted up Azureus and every-now-and-then I get a GREEN light !!!!!..... THANKS GUYS!!!! But when I do the "NAT/Firewall Test" in Azureus it still says "NAT Error".

I just had one more question before we leave this thread. What is the average download speed that you guys get when downloading Torrents? Mine is about 30kb/s. Is that ok???
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-13, 05:12 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

The whole point of using UPnP was to not have to forward ports, but if you got it working, then good . There's not really much of a difference in security, from what I can tell so far.

I'm not sure about Aureus' error.

As for the download speed - it depends on a few factors - how many people are you downloading from, what their speed is, when the full moon is, etc. My point is, don't worry about the speed. You'll see fast speed and slow speed. I sometimes get over 3000kb/sec and other times as little as <1kb/sec. (on the same torrent). The only thing to check is that you are not limiting your speed by a setting in Azureus. Give yourself max download and about 75% upload (no more, or you'll never be able to surf).
Old 2005-06-13, 06:31 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'm glad you got it working. Remember that with Azureus you only need to open one port, not the whole 6881-6999 range. Your Azureus is probably using 6881 so that's the only one you need open.

Why Azureus would fail the NAT check but still give you green lights is a mystery to me. Then again, many things are
Old 2005-06-13, 06:36 PM
DextrousJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ya... well all that UPnP stuff was getting too confusing. But I greatly appreciate your help. If you get any more info about UPnP I would love to hear about it.

3000kb/s .... thats alot. The most I have gotten was about 85kb/s. I just dont want any firwalls or anything to get in the way of getting the full potential out of my downloading speed. That's why I am making it such a big deal...lol

Well, I guess thats it for this thread. Again, (and I know ive said this 100 times) I thank both of you guys for posting here and helping me out. I will use what I have learned here to help others along the way and I will keep learning more and staying active in sharing and trading with BitTorrent......
Old 2005-06-13, 07:17 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DextrousJ
Ya... well all that UPnP stuff was getting too confusing. But I greatly appreciate your help. If you get any more info about UPnP I would love to hear about it.
Actually, it's supposed to be easier. I think I may have confused it by trying to learn a little in your thread. Sorry for that. Well, anyway, glad you got it working and you're welcome for my part in helping you.
Old 2005-06-14, 05:44 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

This thread may be more or less dead, but I wanted to add two things just in case some finds it while searching for UPnP info:

1. In order to use UPnP in BitTornado on WinXP you do need to enable the "SSDP Discovery Service". I can't remember if this is enabled by default. If BitTornada has successfully forwared a port via UPnP it will tell you this at the bottom of the "Advanced" window, where it will say something like "Listening on Port 6881, UPnP port forwarded"

2. I found the following post in a forum on routers and bittorrent. Granted it was posted by no one in particular, but it sums up what I've been trying to say on the subject:

Quote:
Firstly Define UPnP.

UPnP - As the functionality provided by a router - will be red
UPnP - As part of the operating system will be blue.

Hope that is easy enough to understand.

I will start with the UPnP that is part of your Operating System. You do not need it
I have disabled both the UPnP and SSDP services with no adverse affects. It may be used by some printers, and I have yet to come across one that fails if this service is disabled. Mainly because they can be configured, and should be, to work without it.
I was planing to give you the command to disable it, but its not even on my computer any more. I completely removed it. So you will need to go to services.msc and stop and disable both UPnP and SSDP
And I still have webcam/voice MSN

UPnP on your router is another matter. Its a great tool, and a great risk. If you trust your network, know what you are doing, then by all means, leave it on. I leave it on for MSN, Azureus and a couple of other programs. Simplifies matters greatly. If you do not trust your network, or the users in it, to not downloaded viruses etc, then disable it. Give yourself a static IP, and forward the normal ports to your computer. Install a personall firewall, and let it run as its defaults. That way, anything that you forward to your computer from your router - always on - will get blocked by the personal firewall, unless you have MSN, or Azeureus etc running.

To sum it up UPnP on your OS - Off
UPnP on your router - ON - Only if you trust your network and the users within it.
Old 2005-06-14, 07:27 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Hehe, Neowin - I made buttons for an older version of their forum

Interesting article. I read some more from that link and I'm wondering even more now about the security. I'm still puzzled by MS's "description" of UPnP in that image I posted, but then I have to remember to consider the source...

Thanks for the info, BTW. You gave me lots to think about

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble