The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-06-09, 02:23 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Lack of tags on live shows, any reason why?

It's possible this has already been answered, but I cant find an answer.

So, I download a concert in FLAC or SHN but it isnt tagged at all. In foobar it shows the file name for the title, in this case TBC10-13-05d1t01. Is there any particular reason people dont want to add proper tags to any concerts when they seed them? FLAC is capable of tags, and I think SHN is only with an external file.

It takes awhile to tag them myself. One exception is the MP3s I get from archive.org are tagged.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-06-09, 03:11 PM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Re: Lack of tags on live shows, any reason why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xequence
It takes awhile to tag them myself.
Probably answered your own question there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpermaLopez
Sorry, I'm still a n00b.
Old 2006-06-09, 03:25 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

So, they just dont want to tag them as it takes them time?

Id think they would, as they do it once and everyone else saves time. But heh.
Old 2006-06-09, 03:32 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
So, they just dont want to tag them as it takes them time?

Id think they would, as they do it once and everyone else saves time. But heh.
Speaking for myself, I could care less if they are tagged. If I'm listening to a show in cog (or something else), I dock cog anyway and so I don't see the track names.

Old 2006-06-09, 03:34 PM
Mr FiXXX-It
128.94 GB/421.84 GB/3.27

It doesn't save me time; I hate tags. They're the reason I quit downloading MP3 "scene" releases; too much time wasted deleting tags. Name your files properly & there's no need.

My Show List
Old 2006-06-09, 03:57 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

I always seed with tags. But improperly tagged shows are worse than none at all. I think people a) don't care and b) don't know how to do it and don't want to learn.

so if you want to see more shows with tags on this tracker, seed some.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-06-09, 07:23 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Audio - FM Re: Lack of tags on live shows, any reason why?

Quote:
Speaking for myself, I could care less if they are tagged. If I'm listening to a show in cog (or something else), I dock cog anyway and so I don't see the track names.
I listen to my music on foobar2000, so, yea. I care more then you about tags.

Do most people listen to the live music from here and other places (etree, dime) on their computer, or something else?

Quote:
It doesn't save me time; I hate tags. They're the reason I quit downloading MP3 "scene" releases; too much time wasted deleting tags. Name your files properly & there's no need.
If you want to easily delete tags, get foobar2000. You could add all your music to the playlist and right click - tagging - remove tags from file(s).

And I cant honestly understand how tags can be bad. You might not use them if you listen to music by clicking on the song from the file manager, but they certainly cant hurt (not that I know atleast).

Would you rather have a song named "Jealous Again" (which is the name), or TBC10-13-05d1t05? If the latter, it doesent have the title in the tags or the file name.

Quote:
But improperly tagged shows are worse than none at all.
Agreed.

Quote:
I think people a) don't care and b) don't know how to do it and don't want to learn.
Heh... Possibly.

I can assume most people uploading new torrents are people who burn them to an audio CD, so they dont need tags.

Quote:
so if you want to see more shows with tags on this tracker, seed some.
Whats the rule about uploading stuff that I didnt record myself? All the live bootleg stuff I have is from archive.org (I have all MP3 from there), bt.etree.org, here, or dime a dozen.
Old 2006-06-09, 07:39 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

the basic rules are no mp3 or otherwise lossy-sourced stuff (with the exception of ATRAC & AC3 on DVDs but not extracted as audio) and no officially-released stuff. also there's a few artists (like abb) that just aren't allowed. the detaileds can be found in the FAQ link at the top of the page. we want the best quality possible, and encourage everybody to use their unique skills in this pursuit.

Also worth mentioning is that we require .st5 (aka shntool md5) for audio torrents, which means that you can change formats, compression levels, add seek tables, tags, etc and the st5 checksums will reflect that the audio is intact and unchanged.

audio trading here (like etree.org) is geared towards audio cdr compatability, altho I think the number of ppl still burning audio cdr versions of everything are very few these days.

ps use foobar2000 for tagging, don't use flac frontend! (pretty much like xequence already said).

Quote:
Old 2006-06-09, 08:15 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
I listen to my music on foobar2000, so, yea. I care more then you about tags.

Do most people listen to the live music from here and other places (etree, dime) on their computer, or something else?
Well, I'm on a Mac and can't use foobar2000. I will admit that there are times where I want to know the name of the song, but I just open the text file and it's there. I suppose if I got used to tagged shows and suddenly didn't have a tagged show and had to go find the text file, then I might feel differently.
Quote:
I can assume most people uploading new torrents are people who burn them to an audio CD, so they dont need tags.

Whats the rule about uploading stuff that I didnt record myself? All the live bootleg stuff I have is from archive.org (I have all MP3 from there), bt.etree.org, here, or dime a dozen.
Actually, I rarely burn to CD anymore. I do occasionally, but I usually listen to shows on my computer. A really good show that I need to listen to over and over will get burned for my car.

As for uploading other shows, I don't tape and yet I upload stuff. I either got the shns/flacs from a taper (and have the text file from them too) or I downloaded it from DIME from a taper (again, with the text file) or from someone who had the Silvers and extracted them (and posted the text file). I then saved the shows as shn/flac and later just put them back on my computer, checked them via the checksums, made st5s (if needed), and seeded them. Also, the mods are more than willing to talk to you in this forum or via PM about a show you want to seed if you are unsure whether it is allowed.

Old 2006-06-10, 12:01 AM
Champion of the Silent
TTD VIP
727.47 GB/6.80 TB/9.57

Why would you download from archive.org as MP3? For that matter, why the fuck does a site that has "archive" in its name even allow MP3s???
Old 2006-06-10, 12:59 AM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
Why would you download from archive.org as MP3? For that matter, why the fuck does a site that has "archive" in its name even allow MP3s???
The MP3s are pretty nice if you're online in a location that's not your normal computer. Also, if you'd like to hear the general quality of a recording, it's much more convenient to get a 5 meg MP3 instead of a 42 meg FLAC/SHN. Also good if you've never heard of the artist before and you want to get a quick taste of what they're about. And it's not as though they throw out the lossless version. Nothing bad is happening.

But why people would only collect the MP3s from there, I cannot say.
Old 2006-06-10, 10:07 AM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrcoq
Because they are the archive, not the listener. Why would someone who only needs a mp3 download a lossless file, wasting their own bandwidth and that of a "free" service?

Choice is good.
Old 2006-06-10, 02:10 PM
34.48 GB/65.23 GB/1.89

Quote:
Because I can tell the difference between lossy and lossless on studio albums well, and only slightly sometimes on live concerts.

And plus, the 9 MP3 grateful dead concerts I have in MP3 would take up so much space in lossless. More then I have. And it would take forever to download them at 40KB/s (which is the max I got from archive.org) in lossless.

Quote:
But why people would only collect the MP3s from there, I cannot say.
Ive got other concerts in lossless (Grateful Dead, Black Crowes, Phish, Gov't Mule). But, if I can, I tend to prefer lossless when downloading good albums instead of concerts.

Quote:
Because they are the archive, not the listener. Why would someone who only needs a mp3 download a lossless file, wasting their own bandwidth and that of a "free" service?

Choice is good.
Agreed.
Old 2006-06-11, 02:33 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Because I can tell the difference between lossy and lossless on studio albums well, and only slightly sometimes on live concerts.
that will change in time

Quote:
Old 2006-06-11, 04:38 PM
PyRo UK
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by The FiXXXeR
too much time wasted deleting tags.
Deleting tags? I'm sorry but that's just stupid.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble