The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Home Forums FAQ Register Members List

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-07, 12:00 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Re: Speeds negligible with BT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadu
Keep the firewall on...I don't use XP but you have to allow your Bit Torrrent in/outs. The other things should remain firewalled.

This happened to me once when my C: which wasn't even the drive I was saving to was almost full. I cleaned out C: and my download speeds picked up. Your computer may just be a little messed right now.

Spyware scan?
Virus Scan?

What are your speeds when downloading HTTP? or FTP?

good luck
I'll leave the Windows Firewall off until I get something worked out here, and then turn it back on (soon). I have 3 physical hard drives (one partitioned, so 4 letter drives). I save to different drives. One has 28GB free, one has 154GB free, one has 8GB free (OS drive, I don't save stuff there), and the last has 70GB free.
I'll do all the scans presently. Virus, spyware, etc.
Speeds when downloading HTTP are great. Absolutely maxed out. 403.9kB/s (evidenced by DU meter when running bandwidth check with results below). Haven't downloaded anything with FTP, so I can't speak about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Jay, did you get results for both your upload and your download speeds? Also, what are your upload speeds looking like when you connect to a torrent? Is it possible that you are allowing your upload speed to max out and thus making your download speeds really, really slow? I usually suggest to people that they set there upload speed to about 80% of it's max and then play with it from there (I know that I can go to about 95% of max when I am only downloading one torrent, and about 90% when I am downloading two).
006-01-07 12:57:49 EST: 3015 / 226
Your download speed : 3015 kbps or 376.9 KB/sec.
Your upload speed : 226 kbps or 28.2 KB/sec.
My upload speed is rationally less than my download speed. That is to say, if I do happen to hit 6kb down, I'd send probably 8% of that back up. My connection is definately not saturated.
Old 2006-01-07, 12:11 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Hmmmmm, I'm running out of ideas here on what it could be. I'm not a PC person, so I can't really tackle the problem from that side, just from the BT side.

Is your NAT check coming out OK? Or if you are on a torrent from here, etree, or DIME, is your port showing up as OK (not in red)? If you are OK there, then we can rule out a firewall problem.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-07, 12:34 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDub
NAT check said only this: "Could not contact TCP server 2 (tears.lcs.mit.edu at 18.26.4.77". I don't know what it means, so if there's someone to explain, please do.
I bet it has something to do with this, but I have no idea what it means. What does Azureus say about your NAT status?
Old 2006-01-07, 12:39 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Ah, I didn't see the info about the NAT check. I would try it again later. I think that has something to do with where the test is being hosted and problems on their end.

Old 2006-01-07, 01:20 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Quote:
Is your NAT check coming out OK? Or if you are on a torrent from here, etree, or DIME, is your port showing up as OK (not in red)? If you are OK there, then we can rule out a firewall problem.
I connected to a torrent on etree with many seeds, and while Azureus shows green ("everything is going ok"), the etree page shows me red, xxx:6881 So I'm guessing it's a firewall problem. Bear in mind that the XP firewall is disabled. Could there be another sort of firewall that I just don't know is there? Obviously the ports that BT uses are blocked somehow, while HTTP downloading is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
I bet it has something to do with this, but I have no idea what it means. What does Azureus say about your NAT status?
I was using G3 Torrent, but just had a problem loading it, so I downloaded and switched to Azureus. I did the NAT/Server Port test for 6881 (should I test others?) and it said "OK!"
Quote:
Ah, I didn't see the info about the NAT check. I would try it again later. I think that has something to do with where the test is being hosted and problems on their end.
I tried the NAT check again, and got exactly the same answer. Will try again later tonight.

Thanks again for trying to work this out! I feel like we're getting somewhere...

Last edited by JayDub; 2006-01-07 at 01:30 PM.
Old 2006-01-07, 01:40 PM
fade on the downbeat
56.75 GB/125.05 GB/2.20

I thought you had problems with Azureus before. Monk had a port forwarding problem about two weeks back and I sent him to a random port that was five digits instead of four and it worked for him. It was port #10825
Above all, recognize that everything you know is a flat-out lie or is only relatively true in certain restricted and unpleasant situations. ~ Robert Hunter
Old 2006-01-07, 01:52 PM
spiritinaphoto
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I've got a crazy idea that no one seems to have suggested yet. It looks like you're using the standard BT port numbers (6881-6889). Try changing your BT ports to something above 50000 and see what happens. I know your ISP claims they don't throttle traffic, but that doesn't mean they're being honest with you. Now this won't work if they're actually monitoring the packets instead of looking at which ports your traffic is on.
Old 2006-01-07, 02:01 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat
I thought you had problems with Azureus before. Monk had a port forwarding problem about two weeks back and I sent him to a random port that was five digits instead of four and it worked for him. It was port #10825
Yes, maybe, but it's working as well as any right now. I didn't install it until now because I've been putting off installing Java on here. I did, and then installed Azureus. Changed port just now (>5min) and no change in speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritinaphoto
I've got a crazy idea that no one seems to have suggested yet. It looks like you're using the standard BT port numbers (6881-6889). Try changing your BT ports to something above 50000 and see what happens. I know your ISP claims they don't throttle traffic, but that doesn't mean they're being honest with you. Now this won't work if they're actually monitoring the packets instead of looking at which ports your traffic is on.
True about the ISP. Changed the port to 65534, and no change in speed.

I've read about static IPs and that sort of thing. I have made no changes regarding static/dynamic IP, so should I address this somehow?
Old 2006-01-07, 02:28 PM
fade on the downbeat
56.75 GB/125.05 GB/2.20

Quote:
Yes, maybe, but it's working as well as any right now. I didn't install it until now because I've been putting off installing Java on here. I did, and then installed Azureus. Changed port just now (>5min) and no change in speed.

I've read about static IPs and that sort of thing. I have made no changes regarding static/dynamic IP, so should I address this somehow?
I don't know Dubbies, but if you can give me some time to ask my Azureus expert about the config for it, I might have an answer for you later this afternoon. He's not online right now.
Above all, recognize that everything you know is a flat-out lie or is only relatively true in certain restricted and unpleasant situations. ~ Robert Hunter
Old 2006-01-07, 02:28 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Quote:

Changed to port 65534, Azureus shows green, good connection, but the etree torrent still shows me as firewalled.

I changed to a static IP and that didn't change anything.

What are the chances that my motherboard has a built in firewall? Motherboard or some other component. I don't know of one, but I suppose it's a possibility. I don't recall one being advertised (and didn't find info about it) on my motherboard (AOpen).
Old 2006-01-07, 02:55 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Does ur ethernet connect directly into ur motherboard? If so that could be the problem (in regards to ur clock situation).....
Old 2006-01-07, 03:22 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
Does ur ethernet connect directly into ur motherboard? If so that could be the problem (in regards to ur clock situation).....
Yes. Please explain how this might be the problem? First I've heard of it...

Thanks!
Old 2006-01-07, 05:43 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Well iv never liked the idea of having the ethernet port built into the motherboard.

Im pretty sure the motherboard doesnt have a built in firewall, like 99% sure. Go into your BIOS JD and see if something if wierd there. If you have another ethernet card sitting around throw it in and try that.

The fact that your having a problem with ur system clock and ur ethernet that are from the same board doesnt sound like a good thing.
Old 2006-01-07, 05:44 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

nuther question: what kind of speeds do u get if u dl something from lets say the live music archive just doing a direct dl and not using a torrent client?
Old 2006-01-07, 05:58 PM
8.76 GB/22.75 GB/2.60

Quote:
Well iv never liked the idea of having the ethernet port built into the motherboard.

Im pretty sure the motherboard doesnt have a built in firewall, like 99% sure. Go into your BIOS JD and see if something if wierd there. If you have another ethernet card sitting around throw it in and try that.

The fact that your having a problem with ur system clock and ur ethernet that are from the same board doesnt sound like a good thing.
Quote:
nuther question: what kind of speeds do u get if u dl something from lets say the live music archive just doing a direct dl and not using a torrent client?
No, the ethernet port isn't built into the motherboard. You asked if it was connected directly, and it is connected directly. It's a Microsoft MN-150, connected in one of the slots. I don't have another one around or I would try exchanging them. I'll check the BIOS shortly, but I've spent enough time in there that I don't know of anything offhand that's whacky, and since I haven't found it yet, I'm not sure I can find it now. But I'll check it out.

I mentioned above, HTTP downloads are superspeedy. 400kB/sec.

Thanks!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble