The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

View Poll Results: Should we ban mindless leechers?
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 1.0 27 4.03%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.75 29 4.33%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.50 131 19.55%
Yes, If their share ratio is less than 0.25 158 23.58%
No, not under any circumstances. Let karma take over! 201 30.00%
Give them a warning and allow them to make up for their wrongdoing by ul'ing constantly. 177 26.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 670. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-07-05, 01:39 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: Should we ban thoughtless leechers?

pay no attention to the man behind the duck.. he's appreciated, but not happy unless he's bitching - so while it may seem odd, posting those two threads has been very therapeutic for him, so all is well.

Welcome to the Den. We're dysfunctional, but we have all the cool tunes.
Old 2008-07-05, 07:39 PM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
I'm new here and I really like this site. I just found this thread and I really want to comment, because there is always a point about ratios that seems to be missed, although scratchie alluded to it. Why should someone with a poor ration automatically be thought of as someone who does not share or someone who is thoughtless? That person may be seeding their brains out, but not getting any uploads.

I've been a member of another site for a while, and I have always been listed in the stats as one of the top seeders, yet it took quite a while for me to get a decent ratio. And if you think it's because I downloaded too much, you're wrong. Plus, another problem is that unless you download and have enough seeds, then your ratio goes into the sinker even more, so it's a lose/lose situation.

This attitude that poor ratios somehow equal someone who is thoughtless and does not share is plain wrong, because some people with bad ratios really care about sharing and they seed constantly. I have come to realize that I can only hope and pray for leechers to my seeds, and it's a miserable process, because it so hard to get enough uploads, depending on what you've downloaded. I'd much rather upload than download, so don't judge unfairly. I only have one download on this site so far, and it's looking like it's going to take an eternity for me to have a good ratio here, even though I have been seeding continuously since I downloaded.

It's unfortunate we can't be measured by the amount of time we spend seeding, and not ratios, because unless the files are being uploaded, a person with a poor ration may be stigmatized very unfairly. My computer has taken a horrible beating since I started doing torrents, because it's running almost constantly in order to seed and attempt to upload. The internal fans are starting to roar, and it now needs maintenance because of the toll this has taken on it. I'm expecting that it will be trashed soon. Yet, I would still get called a thoughtless leecher with a poor ratio! It's enough to make me stop doing torrents, and I'm sure it will eventually come to that.

Anyway, hello everyone, and I'm happy to be a part of this community.
Welcome to the "community"! I think you are off to a fantastic start.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-05, 09:01 PM
appalachianamerican
1.26 TB/2.77 TB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
.................Welcome to the Den. We're dysfunctional, but we have all the cool tunes.
Old 2008-07-12, 01:37 AM
All That Glitters, Ain't Gold!
779.23 GB/2.97 TB/3.91

I really want to share heaps more again here I really love this site I have 20 to 30 new DVDs but I seriously get upset when I see someone selling them on YAHOO JAPAN AUCTIONS and I know it is some leecher from here.

"Always Looking For TRADES"
http://silverpressedbootlegkan.weebly.com
Old 2008-07-12, 04:32 AM
655.79 GB/937.04 GB/1.43

Here's a view from a newbie: I've just got broadband (about a month ago), so I'm going on a feeding frenzy before I get the 'fair usage' letter! Also, with the demise of decent record fairs any more here in the U.K., it's the classic kid in a toy shop scenario. While I've been dling like mad, I'm aware of ratio, and do my best to ul, too. The things that slow this down are:- 1. I can only ul at a fraction of my dl speed (it is, after all, [b][u]A[b][u]dsl), and, 2. just when I'm getting good karma, I browse through the torrents, and see something else I fancy. 3. As a member of MWP, I put my first torrent up on there, and then left a message here pointing folks at that. As a newbie, and someone who grew up in the days when the White House had a computer, I havn't learned enough, yet, to do something clever like put it up here, too, and improve both my ratios at once! The thing I have found, like in real life when someone stops for a chat just because of the T-shirt you're wearing, is that most people here are friendly, and have more common sense in one finger than the whole of the Euro MP building. This weekend I will be leaving the pc seeding, while I'm in work, trying to get that magic ratio up. (Another thing, old seeds, where there's no other leechers, what if you want lots of those? Do you offset by seeding someone popular like the stones or pearl jam?) Anyway, there's a view, thanks for your time, zzz.
Old 2008-07-12, 09:59 AM
TTD VIP
19.33 TB/8.15 TB/0.42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconAerosmith View Post
I really want to share heaps more again here I really love this site I have 20 to 30 new DVDs but I seriously get upset when I see someone selling them on YAHOO JAPAN AUCTIONS and I know it is some leecher from here.
Hey Buddy, how are you these days. You may have missed my comment before on this issue (mods delete my comments). Jerks will sell this stuff. I suspect that as the global economy worsens, more good people will do not-so-good things to make a buck. That is the reality. Take comfort that you share freely. My vids are sold by others. I can't control that. Just get over that hurdle and realize that once you put it up, anything can happen to it. When someone creates artwork for a show, I feel that it's just a greater invitation to get marketed. Fancy menus, covers - all great efforts are selling points at flea markets and online. I know it helped make money for Swingin' Pig and Yellow Dog etc.
Take care. Good to hear from you man.
Old 2008-07-12, 10:28 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconAerosmith View Post
Hey Buddy, how are you these days. You may have missed my comment before on this issue (mods delete my comments). Jerks will sell this stuff. I suspect that as the global economy worsens, more good people will do not-so-good things to make a buck. That is the reality. Take comfort that you share freely. My vids are sold by others. I can't control that. Just get over that hurdle and realize that once you put it up, anything can happen to it. When someone creates artwork for a show, I feel that it's just a greater invitation to get marketed. Fancy menus, covers - all great efforts are selling points at flea markets and online. I know it helped make money for Swingin' Pig and Yellow Dog etc.
vlad is right - unfortunately we can't do anything about the sellers. What we *can* do is spread the word to people on how they can get these shows for free. Once we point them towards a site like this (or Dime, or TC, or any of the tons of others), we need to be willing to help them out. We should all remember what it was like to be a newbie to bittorrent and how 'scary' it was at first.... and how complicated it seemed to burn a show or DVD.... so now we give back and help them out so it's easy for them. If we make it easy and painless for them, then they go and spread the word too and other users start using torrents to download these great live shows.

So yeah, it is awful that there are people that try to ruin it for us by downloading and selling. But, try to take a look at the larger picture, as vlad pointed out, that you are sharing stuff with others that they wouldn't get otherwise.

(And vlad, your comments aren't deleted. If they are lounge-like comments, they are simply thrown into a thread in the lounge for lounge-like comments made in other forums.)

Old 2008-07-13, 01:19 PM
192.68 GB/93.04 GB/0.48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade View Post
I'm new here and I really like this site. I just found this thread and I really want to comment, because there is always a point about ratios that seems to be missed, although scratchie alluded to it. Why should someone with a poor ration automatically be thought of as someone who does not share or someone who is thoughtless? That person may be seeding their brains out, but not getting any uploads.

I've been a member of another site for a while, and I have always been listed in the stats as one of the top seeders, yet it took quite a while for me to get a decent ratio. And if you think it's because I downloaded too much, you're wrong. Plus, another problem is that unless you download and have enough seeds, then your ratio goes into the sinker even more, so it's a lose/lose situation.

This attitude that poor ratios somehow equal someone who is thoughtless and does not share is plain wrong, because some people with bad ratios really care about sharing and they seed constantly. I have come to realize that I can only hope and pray for leechers to my seeds, and it's a miserable process, because it so hard to get enough uploads, depending on what you've downloaded. I'd much rather upload than download, so don't judge unfairly. I only have one download on this site so far, and it's looking like it's going to take an eternity for me to have a good ratio here, even though I have been seeding continuously since I downloaded.

It's unfortunate we can't be measured by the amount of time we spend seeding, and not ratios, because unless the files are being uploaded, a person with a poor ration may be stigmatized very unfairly. My computer has taken a horrible beating since I started doing torrents, because it's running almost constantly in order to seed and attempt to upload. The internal fans are starting to roar, and it now needs maintenance because of the toll this has taken on it. I'm expecting that it will be trashed soon. Yet, I would still get called a thoughtless leecher with a poor ratio! It's enough to make me stop doing torrents, and I'm sure it will eventually come to that.

Anyway, hello everyone, and I'm happy to be a part of this community.
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes people just can't get good upload speeds. However, there's no way to discriminate between these people and leechers, so some form of action should be taken. Something like a warning to anyone with a ratio below .25, followed by a ban if this is not remedied within a few weeks or so. Eh I don't know.

I'm new to this whole music sharing deal; got into it after talking to a taper at Langerado. I will admit that until recently, I have been pretty ignorant in my leeching, with my share ratio dropping to .24, I believe. I've been seeding several DVD's constantly for the last three days or so, and I've managed to increase it to .44, much to the dismay of my laptop.

1.0 or bust!

-A repentant leecher
Old 2008-07-14, 01:02 AM
146.01 GB/451.23 GB/3.09

The voice of another Noob...

I posted on a thread soon after I joined...i got some flack because my ratio was low...I felt that I had to improve my ratio before I could berate other people in The Lounge...

After many calls to my ISP (DSL,) complaining about the slow speeds, I decided to switch...I got cable and my ratio has moved to 1:1...

So, do I now get the honor of contributing obnoxious behavior with the other Post Whores?
Old 2008-07-14, 10:30 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
So, do I now get the honor of contributing obnoxious behavior with the other Post Whores?
Go for it! But I suggest protective gear for your first few posts in The Lounge. Oh, and whatever you do, don't take them seriously!!

Old 2008-07-14, 02:02 PM
1.08 TB/2.25 TB/2.08

Old 2008-07-14, 11:35 PM
All That Glitters, Ain't Gold!
779.23 GB/2.97 TB/3.91

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
I agree with this too like everywhere else the economy here in Japan is rapidly going down the drain, but I might be back on day, Thanks Vlad Regards to Your Family. Hello to U2Lynne and to all the Mods here at TTD
Bacon

"Always Looking For TRADES"
http://silverpressedbootlegkan.weebly.com
Old 2008-07-15, 03:38 AM
Burnt Page
155.06 GB/72.76 GB/0.47

I could use some help. Im new to this site and have a few hundred shows I'd like to share. I have the downloading part down, and Ive downloaded the bt creator but Im not sure if I am doing it correctly, yes Im a knucklehead.

But where I need help is, what would be an appropriate amount of time to allott seeding. How long should I seed for after I have downloaded?
Old 2008-07-15, 10:22 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntPage View Post
I could use some help. Im new to this site and have a few hundred shows I'd like to share. I have the downloading part down, and Ive downloaded the bt creator but Im not sure if I am doing it correctly, yes Im a knucklehead.

But where I need help is, what would be an appropriate amount of time to allott seeding. How long should I seed for after I have downloaded?
We really encourage users with questions to start their own threads cuz then all their questions can be contained in one place and you aren't searching in other threads to see if someone has answered your questions.

You might want to start by reading the FAQs (either for Audio or Video) and hopefully that answers a lot of questions. As for how long.... usually you want to seed until their are a few completes and then they can carry on the seeding of the show. I would also encourage you to keep it on your harddrive for a while incase seeding drops off in a few weeks and you want to help them out. That isn't necessary, but if you can, I think it's a good idea. Also, when you go to initially seed your show, you really should make that the only show you are seeding - don't try to seed more than that one show at that time. This is ensure that you have all your bandwidth going towards it and the users will get it that much faster and then they can carry on the seeding while you go off to download a show that you want.

Old 2008-07-15, 01:22 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
The voice of another Noob...

I posted on a thread soon after I joined...i got some flack because my ratio was low...I felt that I had to improve my ratio before I could berate other people in The Lounge...

After many calls to my ISP (DSL,) complaining about the slow speeds, I decided to switch...I got cable and my ratio has moved to 1:1...

yes, absolutely

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Tags
uberleechers