The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2006-05-25, 09:23 AM
Telepathic Surgeon
60.19 GB/9.97 GB/0.17

Re: Passkey Tracker coming on Wednesday....

Firstly, I'd like to plead ignorance on all areas torrent realted, so mainly Im just asking to clarify an error message. I switched to Azureus, re d/l'ed the torrent files, and now I dont get hash or passkey errors, only constant timeout errors. Ill connect for a few seconds, then end up with a timeout error. I was wondering is this is something I need to fix, or if a timeout can occur just because there arent enough seeds switched over to the new system to establish a transfer. Can you get a timeout error from inactivity even if you have a clear connection with the tracker? Is anyone else getting lots of timeout errors?

(This is my first time using this client, Im generally on BitTornado.)

Edit: So apparently Im still timed out, but im now getting a 16k/s transfer rate.

Five out of every three people will never understand math.

Last edited by not_for_prophet; 2006-05-25 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-25, 09:29 AM
61.04 GB/46.16 GB/0.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sats
I have a problem. I was downloading some dvd with bitlord. And when i redownload new torrent file, bitlord doesn't work. It says something like this...
Error tracker response: info_hash error: torrent not registered with this tracker
when i tried to download it with another tracker it strarted from the begining. I had 85percent ...Is there any way to donwload missing part or have i download it whole again?
I solved it ....i had to delete the ends of files(.bt)....
Old 2006-05-25, 09:53 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_for_prophet
Firstly, I'd like to plead ignorance on all areas torrent realted, so mainly Im just asking to clarify an error message. I switched to Azureus, re d/l'ed the torrent files, and now I dont get hash or passkey errors, only constant timeout errors. Ill connect for a few seconds, then end up with a timeout error. I was wondering is this is something I need to fix, or if a timeout can occur just because there arent enough seeds switched over to the new system to establish a transfer. Can you get a timeout error from inactivity even if you have a clear connection with the tracker? Is anyone else getting lots of timeout errors?

(This is my first time using this client, Im generally on BitTornado.)

Edit: So apparently Im still timed out, but im now getting a 16k/s transfer rate.
Timeout errors are nothing to worry about. Just let it be. You should see yourself on the peers info tab on the torrents you are on as well.
Old 2006-05-25, 10:00 AM
TTD VIP
1.37 TB/1.13 TB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
Matt- we (and by we I mean Lynne) will eventually get it figured out so that all clients will work with the new tracker. It just needs a little time. In the meantime enjoy Azureus, you may never go back to your old one...
Thanks!

I think I _am_ starting to like Azureus better than my previous client, so I really appreciate you recommending it! Azureus will actually give me more control over my seeding and downloading, and I particularly like the global speed settings.

It was very easy to install, and I really liked the configuration wizard since it helped me make sure I had the correct port open to avoid any firewall issues.

I have one question now however. I have connected to gd1986-03-24.dvdf as the only seeder and Azureus is showing that I am connected to six downloaders. However, I do not see those downloaders on TTD peers list. Is this something that I need to correct on my end?
Old 2006-05-25, 10:12 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
I have one question now however. I have connected to gd1986-03-24.dvdf as the only seeder and Azureus is showing that I am connected to six downloaders. However, I do not see those downloaders on TTD peers list. Is this something that I need to correct on my end?
Nope you're all good, it's the seeders who need to redownload the torrent file and start up again.
Old 2006-05-25, 11:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Until everyone moves over to the new passkey system, the stats are going to be buggy in your clients. The reason it is still seeding is because of DHT which we have no disabled (gotta just get the tracker running first!).

OK, the good new.... I currently have this working on BitTorrent on my Mac. I'd love to get some feedback from others on BitTorrent, especially those on a PC.

(Side comment: I don't know why people like to still use BitTorrent. I guess I'm so used to Azureus which shows me the seeds/leechers in the window pane and allows me to easily see which shows need seeds. You Mac users might want to look into Azureus. I'm running OS 10.4 on a 800 MHz G4 with just 768 MB RAM and it runs just fine.)

Old 2006-05-25, 11:36 AM
15.99 GB/49.98 GB/3.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyRo UK
I just found the old unpersonalised version of "Jimmy Page & Black Crowes dvd" running in Azureus. Its still downloading, which confuses me
Is it simply becuase the seeders haven't read this thread yet?

*Update* I just looked back and I have the "invalid passkey" error, but the thing's still downloading!

This is because of DHT!
You must turn off DHT in your clients. What you are really doing when you see it showing peers and uploading/downloading but no stats here is becoming a tracker yourself for a public DHT network. None of those stats are actually reporting to this tracker. Thats why you see nobody on it on here but people downloading from you still in client.
This just a common problem with most newer torrent clients, (bit comet, azureus,utorrent) and can easily be solved by turning of any DHT and scraping setting in your torrent clients.

EDIT: heh lynne beat me to it by 3 min while i was writing
Old 2006-05-25, 11:42 AM
193.95 GB/193.44 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
OK, the good new.... I currently have this working on BitTorrent on my Mac. I'd love to get some feedback from others on BitTorrent, especially those on a PC.

(Side comment: I don't know why people like to still use BitTorrent. I guess I'm so used to Azureus which shows me the seeds/leechers in the window pane and allows me to easily see which shows need seeds. You Mac users might want to look into Azureus. I'm running OS 10.4 on a 800 MHz G4 with just 768 MB RAM and it runs just fine.)
Mac users still running OS9 can't use Azureus since it's not supported. I am amazed that you got BitTorrent to run on the passkey system though. From personal experience on passkey systems, I've only found Azureus and uTorrent to work properly, and even uTorrent has problems reporting stats correctly at times. Azureus is basically the best way to go with a passkey system.
Old 2006-05-25, 11:43 AM
obcd
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Until everyone moves over to the new passkey system, the stats are going to be buggy in your clients. The reason it is still seeding is because of DHT which we have no disabled (gotta just get the tracker running first!).

Bittorrent now working again underd i386 Linux.

As to why people still use the original client ...
I'm running my torrent on a box not located at home into which i ssh, so i need to be able to use a command line option, and bittorent works like a charm for this.
Old 2006-05-25, 12:24 PM
TTD VIP
1.37 TB/1.13 TB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanwill
This is because of DHT!
You must turn off DHT in your clients. What you are really doing when you see it showing peers and uploading/downloading but no stats here is becoming a tracker yourself for a public DHT network. None of those stats are actually reporting to this tracker. Thats why you see nobody on it on here but people downloading from you still in client.
This just a common problem with most newer torrent clients, (bit comet, azureus,utorrent) and can easily be solved by turning of any DHT and scraping setting in your torrent clients.

EDIT: heh lynne beat me to it by 3 min while i was writing
OK. So are you recommending that I disable scraping in Azureus? I guess that would force the downloaders to figure out how to get the passkey to work with their clients? And also, for the sharing panel, what do I want to select, because I still see peers connected to me but I do not see them on TTD peer list? Right now I have it selected as Decentralised, and "Allow decentralised tracking when tracker is unavailable" is checked.
Old 2006-05-25, 12:35 PM
Maestro
413.07 GB/362.70 GB/0.88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksrock
This seems to be the same problem I had over at another site that uses passkeys. Utorrent and azerius will allow this but no other clients will.
That means if you have a non intel Mac you (and me) will not be able to use this site as these softwares are not available for mac.
I really hope this is not the case - I love this site!!!!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 2006-05-25, 12:35 PM
221.43 GB/335.13 GB/1.51

OK i just tried to reconnect to Red Hot Chilli Peppers 2002-6-4 using Bit Torrent. The file checked out and got back to where it last left off at 48.9% which im glad to see because last night i tried to use utorrent and it only recognized 20 something percent. Now it has finished checking the file and it appears to be operating properly but without and seeds. The torrent file hasnt connected to anyone but it also has not sent me any error messages for the first time. If any mods want help from someone on PC using Bit Torrent im on aim and can offer my help. Thanks again to everyone whos putting their time and effort into continuing to make this my favorite site on the internet. Thanks again

Seth
SJ1998 - aim
Old 2006-05-25, 12:43 PM
15.99 GB/49.98 GB/3.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman
And also, for the sharing panel, what do I want to select, because I still see peers connected to me but I do not see them on TTD peer list? Right now I have it selected as Decentralised, and "Allow decentralised tracking when tracker is unavailable" is checked.
Decentralised tracking is DHT, just uncheck that box.
Old 2006-05-25, 12:50 PM
238.97 GB/162.90 GB/0.68

i'm using Bit Torrent on a PC currently connected to 50 seeds and 14 peers, i'm showing a green light all seems well.....Thanks go to the TTDstaff
Old 2006-05-25, 01:08 PM
TTD VIP
1.37 TB/1.13 TB/0.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmanwill
Decentralised tracking is DHT, just uncheck that box.
OK, but I'm still seeing that I'm seeding to four peers, but none are showing up on TTD peer list. Should I have also checked "Private torrent - only accept peers from the tracker" ?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions