The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-10-11, 03:17 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriksnow View Post
An educated is guess is somewhere between 2000 and 4000 dollars. Only Shareef knows the exact amount of course. As Blindwilly previously wrote, him and 6 friends, alone, donated 700 dollars. And HC has thousands of members. I guess when Shareef saw the money coming in, he wanted to have it shut down for as long as possible since so many good hearts were thinking "my God, it could be up to ME to save the tracker". Me and 2 other founders recieved a LOT of "I have donated but not been credited" PMs for months afterwards

I would guess that the reason HC went down the last time was because of me changing the frontside and sent out mass PM where I wrote that people should *not* be donating anymore (which must have given Shareef a long nose! ). After all, the shutdown came the same day Shareef found out about the mass PM I had sent to all users (the day he logged in again).

By shutting it down, he'd stop all discussion about the donations, members-and-staff-in-between and also be the only one being able to make a statement about this (which was IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION THAT A MASS PM HAS BEEN SENT OUT ASKING PEOPLE NOT TO DONATE. THIS IS TOTALLY UNTRUE! THIS PERSON WILL BE FOUND....etc...etc)

BTW, I was thinking the same as arfarf when seeing that the frontpage of HC read "PLEASE NO DONATIONS UNTILL BEING INSTRUCTED[...] "..... he must have troubles with his paypal account due to complaints. No way would he say that otherwise......unless he actually agrees with my mass PM all of a sudden

(pardon my English)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-10-11, 03:18 PM
Eriksnow
1.06 GB/1.54 GB/1.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyray View Post
there should be open discussion.....the aggrieved parties want to know what is going on....
I think it's good to be open. It's not like us staff members had classified information about anything. Heck we were being completely shut off from the economical side of the tracker. My work on HC was completely on the musical side; and the ratio/user-problems side of it. Therefor I think I'm allowed to comment on this.

Besides, a tracker consists of users, users, users and admin. It's of common interest for everyone of them/us to know for everybody what actually goes down (apart from giving out full names, addresses, etc). When keeping things of common interest a "secret" , scenarios like this recent one will eventually occour.

OK, I made another post. I'll stop now
Old 2013-10-11, 03:23 PM
Eriksnow
1.06 GB/1.54 GB/1.46

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
I deleted that post Erik. Vergeltungswaffe is either incredibly thick or trolling - perhaps both.
We thank you again for bringing these events to light and informing the trading community that Hungercity is a scam. Do not donate.
Thanks for that, direwolf; suddenly I got concerned if I was being unethical here, after his post. After 2 minutes of thinking....I got my brains together and wrote that reply to daddyray, which is a reply to Vergeltungswaffe also

BTW; of course I did sign that mass PM with my name, it would be *unethical* to not do that ;-)

Last edited by Eriksnow; 2013-10-11 at 03:29 PM.
Old 2013-10-11, 04:16 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Good to see your comments here Erik. 100% behind you. I certainly won't be running back to the HC tracker.
Old 2013-10-11, 06:07 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
English is my second language, by native tongue is western gibberish.

My mom used to work in the cryptography department of the Pentagon. I showed her a couple of ShaReef's posts, and she seems to think the breaks in grammar may actually be intentional, and represent a coded message. She's been working on this during commercial breaks in reruns of Murder She Wrote.
So far, all she has deciphered is part of his message of October 3, and that partial translation reads:
"HELP I'M TRAPPED IN THE BODY OF A MAN"

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2013-10-11, 09:26 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

"Vergeltungswaffe" refers to weapons used for payback, or roughly that.

troll
Old 2013-10-11, 09:30 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
I'm still hoping to hear something soon about the former HC staff group's proposed tracker since many days earlier in this thread, but they may wish to wait until they are online or ready to go on line before making any announcements.
I await this possible announcement with more excitement than the return of HC brought me.

I think the "former HC staff group" could use a snappier name, here's a couple of suggestions.

The Gone Mods - has a nice ring, describes the group, and kind of sounds like a british invasion group, all Mersey beat and Carnaby Street, this is my fave so far.

The Urban Flight Attendants - Urban flight was a term applied to the outflow of population from the cities, and maybe conveys the situation. Distant second on my list.

Your suggestion are welcome, at least by me, but the Urban Flight Attendants may now be bringing me a pillow, which they'll hold over my face until my legs stop trashing, lol.

no offense meant to you, arfarf, but those names are all just as awful as "Hunger City"
Old 2013-10-11, 09:59 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
"Vergeltungswaffe" refers to weapons used for payback, or roughly that.
A screaming comes across the sky.

Old 2013-10-11, 10:53 PM
TTD VIP
19.31 TB/8.12 TB/0.42

There is a worthy Beatles torrent there now, so maybe good things will happen for a change.
Old 2013-10-12, 04:54 AM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

I'm now demoted at HC from Senior Uploader to Uploader. How devastating. I cried and cried and cried when I heard ...................
Old 2013-10-12, 05:41 AM
75.01 GB/326.49 GB/4.35

Quote:
wait.. this site rips everyone off for years ~ the staff has had enough and unanimously quit
.. and you're glad to see it back online. I know some of you fuckers are weird but thats fucking funny.
The man asked you for money and you voluntarily sent it to him. Where's the rip off? The fact that he may or will have used some or a lot of that money for hazy purposes is a different story, but not a rip off.
Old 2013-10-12, 05:49 AM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin, ne odinoki View Post
The man asked you for money and you voluntarily sent it to him. Where's the rip off? The fact that he may or will have used some or a lot of that money for hazy purposes is a different story, but not a rip off.
He asked for money because he said he hadn't received enough donations to pay for keeping the tracker online. When the donations far exceeded the payments due (even the exaggerated ones he claimed he had to make) he put it back online and then demanded more money as he claimed yet again he didn't have enough to pay the bills.

Now that is not just a rip off it's also a scam.
Old 2013-10-12, 08:15 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin, ne odinoki View Post
The fact that he may or will have used some or a lot of that money for hazy purposes is a different story, but not a rip off.
That's the dictionary definition of a rip off!
Old 2013-10-12, 10:28 AM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

HC is of course an org domain. Here is the definition from Wikipedia (the split infinitive comes from them Bugs so don't blame me)

Quote:
The domain extension was originally created for non-profits, but this designation no longer exists and today it is commonly used by schools, open-source projects, and communities as well as by for-profit entities, some of which may use the suffix in an attempt to misleadingly suggest their non-profit status.
Last part seems to fit particularly well.
Old 2013-10-12, 10:47 AM
713.98 GB/997.13 GB/1.40

Quote:
I deleted that post Erik. Vergeltungswaffe is either incredibly thick or trolling - perhaps both.
We thank you again for bringing these events to light and informing the trading community that Hungercity is a scam. Do not donate.
I, for one, am grateful to be able to follow the saga here. I donated 40 bucks in total.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble