The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-10-02, 01:13 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
I don't understand what you're driving at. Are you suggesting that RamesesII, in addition to changing the address that HC uses for email donations — which is obviously a joke (but thanks for treating me as if I were stupid; that's quite gracious of you) — lowered the donation cost from the $425 that ShaReeF posted to $395 and let the rest of the ShaReeF's post stand verbatim?

What purpose would that serve? Changing the donation address accomplishes two things, but what does lowering the alleged monthly operating cost of HungerCity by $30 accomplish, rhetorically, for RamsesII?
No idea what arf means Bugs - maybe he thinks the supposed costs are genuine or something. Apart from changing the email address the first post was as I copied and pasted it. I think the original message was in a different colour from the current putrid pink one. I still have HC set as my home page on Firefox so I see the latest message each time I fire it up. I can't remember when I last had so much fun. Can't wait for the next installment.
I think I snuck in a reply to that that Ramesses didn't see before posting, dunno.

Later edit: I didn't see Ramesses latest about only one server before I posted this.

Later edit: I didn't see what Ramesses said about the second server before I posted this.

I have no idea what the "genuine" costs of operating HC are. I suspect that other than ShaReef, no one does. I am only saying they could be in the general range of $400, as those in the know on TTD's staff have stated their operating costs were in that range at one time.

Last edited by arfarf; 2013-10-02 at 01:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-10-02, 01:23 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I did not see what RamesesII had posted about HC only having one server before I posted my last.

And honestly, I will get the spelling of your nick right one of these times, sorry
Old 2013-10-02, 01:27 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
I did not see what RamesesII had posted about HC only having one server before I posted my last.

And honestly, I will get the spelling of your nick right one of these times, sorry
Don't worry arf - I often get it wrong myself

Now I really must get on - I'm spending far too much time on this comedy of errors.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:40 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
My comment wasn't pointed at you specifically, I meant the editorial "You". In the future I'll try to use some word like "folks" instead so there is no confusion.
Well, you quoted and replied to me, arfarf, and you (by which I do mean, you, arfarf) used the pronoun "you" in response to that which I had written, and, even if you were using what you refer to as an "editorial you," the context in which you used that "editorial you" would include me, as an individual, within the plurality of your you.

Of course, everything that RamsesII quoted was correct but for the donation address. The point that I am making is that, within minutes of posting his most recent "last chance" update, ShaReeF, the owner of HungerCity, took down the page on HungerCity that RamsesII quoted from above. What RamsesII posted was exactly what ShaReeF had posted but for the joke email address that RamsesII inserted.

The post that ShaReeF originally made on the HC server today said that "AFTER EXTENSIVE TALKS WITH THE HOST," HC would move to the cheaper option of $395 per month. But, within ten minutes posting that on HC, ShaReeF took it down. He then changed the figure of $395 to $425 and reposted what would have otherwise been the exact same message.

None of this has anything to do with what has been posted here, per se. None of this has to do with what U2lynne or anyone else has said it costs to run a server. This has to do with two different posts that ShaReeF made on the front page of hungercity.org today. This has to do with ShaReeF being a lying turd who claims he will lower his costs but, after posting by how much he would, changing his mind five minutes later and upping his fee by $30 (as if it makes any sort of difference). This has to do with ShaReeF being caught — if you'll pardon the cliché — "making it up as he goes along."

Your suggestion that I "view post[s] with a little skepticism" is a solid example of what people in my profession call "irony."

I am sorry for the confusion. Have a great day, arfarf.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:44 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
Well, you quoted and replied to me, arfarf, and you (by which I do mean, you, arfarf) used the pronoun "you" in response to that which I had written, and, even if you were using what you refer to as an "editorial you," the context in which you used that "editorial you" would include me, as an individual, within the plurality of your you.
this almost makes my head hurt
Old 2013-10-02, 02:29 PM
The Mighty ReArranger
59.68 GB/67.16 GB/1.13

Its the same old thing as yesterday...
Old 2013-10-02, 02:39 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I believe Bugs, RamesesII and I are all, if not on the same page, reading from the same book.

I used language imprecisely, and deserved to be misunderstood.

English is my second language, my native tongue is gibberish.

Now I'm off to take a wee, and here I do not mean an editorial wee, I'm going to use the half bath and it's small.
Old 2013-10-02, 02:45 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamesesII View Post
I still have HC set as my home page on Firefox so I see the latest message each time I fire it up. I can't remember when I last had so much fun. Can't wait for the next installment.
Boy, I hear that. It's a such trainwreck and I just cannot look away.

For me, the icing on the cake is the massive insurrection that's taken place in the HCForum. Unless he's been logging in from another account, he has no idea what's happening in his own backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
this almost makes my head hurt
Thanks, Homebrew. That's exactly what I was going for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munichhilton View Post
Its the same old thing as yesterday...
Shareef didn't have to turn on the red light.

Quote:
Now I'm off to take a wee, and here I do not mean an editorial wee, I'm going to use the half bath and it's small.
Ha! Well said, arfarf.

Old 2013-10-03, 08:00 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

if someone would just pull some hair & smack a bitch, this shit would be better than the Bad Girls Club!

Old 2013-10-03, 08:47 AM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

ah yes, the setting aside of "past issues"
good to see he's gonna turn over a new leaf, where do I send the bag of unmarked bills?

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2013-10-03, 03:19 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Here's the latest "Last Chance" message, quoted verbatim except for the donation address which I removed.

"HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 3RD OCTOBER, 2013 (2:30PM EST)

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS VIA PAYPAL TO: -- address removed--

AFTER EXTENSIVE TALKS WITH THE HOST, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT WE CAN MOVE TO THE NEW MACHINE (CHEAPER OPTION OF $425 MONTHLY) ON SATURDAY 5TH OCTOBER. DURING THIS WEEKEND I WILL BE WORKING TO MAKE THE BOX READY TO GO LIVE ON MONDAY. ALL HUNGERCITY FILES & DATABASES ARE INTACT AND WILL BE READY FOR USE ON THE NEW SERVER.

WE STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE OCTOBER SERVER BILL. DONATION TO COVER THE OCTOBER PERIOD WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED. PLEASE SEND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU!

IT WILL BE GOOD TO BE BACK SOON AND PROVE A FEW PEOPLE WRONG!! PERHAPS, IT WILL STILL BE POSSIBLE TO SET ASIDE PAST ISSUES AND MOVE FORWARD TO A NEW ERA FOR HUNGERCITY.

ALSO, THOSE OF YOU ARE STILL WAITING FOR YOUR DONATION CREDITS TO BE PROCESSED, WILL RECEIVE DOUBLE VALUE TO WHATEVER YOUR CONTRIBUTION. THIS WILL BE DONE AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY, ONCE I HAVE SERVER/SITE ACCESS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED PATIENCE & SUPPORT.

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAD FAITH IN ME & HUNGERCITY. IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN.
- SHAREEF"
Old 2013-10-03, 03:23 PM
I'm Tarzan, You Jane.
200.90 GB/3.32 GB/0.02

Anybody else but captain noticed that the most smartest arses again are those staff creeps?
Old 2013-10-03, 03:24 PM
TTD VIP
19.31 TB/8.12 TB/0.42

"PERHAPS, IT WILL STILL BE POSSIBLE TO SET ASIDE PAST ISSUES AND MOVE FORWARD TO A NEW ERA FOR HUNGERCITY."
Does that mean I will be allowed to upload my videos again?
Old 2013-10-03, 04:28 PM
369.31 GB/270.19 GB/0.73

Thumbs up Re: What's with Hungercity again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
"PERHAPS, IT WILL STILL BE POSSIBLE TO SET ASIDE PAST ISSUES AND MOVE FORWARD TO A NEW ERA FOR HUNGERCITY."
As long as you make a large donation
Old 2013-10-03, 04:29 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladsmythe View Post
You'd need to go back there vlad and you might get very lonely rattling round all by yourself

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble