The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2013-10-02, 10:37 AM
The Mighty ReArranger
59.68 GB/67.16 GB/1.13

Re: What's with Hungercity again?

See? Friendly...that's great...
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2013-10-02, 10:37 AM
The Mighty ReArranger
59.68 GB/67.16 GB/1.13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 655321 View Post
Damn, I was so straight on my way to become the top sharer at hungercity and now it's offline? Does this means I can just delete all the torrents from them out of my client, or what?
Yup, sorry...it's been rough
Old 2013-10-02, 10:49 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfarf View Post
at least when I'm not freaking out
Nah, you played it cool Just messin'. I'll have to step up my game next time!
Old 2013-10-02, 11:27 AM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

For anyone who is still following this increasingly bizarre saga here is the latest bulletin from his nibs together with a nice new pic

HUNGERCITY UPDATE - 2ND OCTOBER, 2013 (1:30PM EST)

AS THE DONATION PAGE CANNOT BE ACCESSED, PLEASE SEND ALL DONATIONS VIA PAYPAL TO : [email protected]

AFTER EXTENSIVE TALKS WITH THE HOST, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT WE CAN MOVE TO THE NEW MACHINE (CHEAPER OPTION OF $395 MONTHLY) ON SATURDAY 5TH OCTOBER. ALL HUNGERCITY FILES & DATABASES ARE INTACT AND WILL BE READY FOR USE ON THE NEW SERVER.

WE STILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THE OCTOBER SERVER BILL. DONATION TO COVER THE OCTOBER PERIOD WILL BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED. PLEASE SEND AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. THANK YOU!

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAD FAITH IN ME & HUNGERCITY. IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN. WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN YOU FIND OUT WHO ARE FRIENDS AND WHO ARE NOT. THIS WILL ALSO NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

IT WILL BE GOOD TO BE BACK SOON AND PROVE MANY SO CALLED PEOPLE WRONG!! PERHAPS IT WILL STILL BE POSSIBLE TO SET ASIDE PAST ISSUES AND MOVE FORWARD TO A NEW ERA FOR HUNGERCITY.

ALSO, THOSE OF YOU ARE STILL WAITING FOR YOUR DONATION CREDITS TO BE PROCESSED, WILL RECEIVE DOUBLE VALUE TO WHATEVER YOUR CONTRIBUTION. THIS WILL BE DONE AT THE EARLIEST OPPORTUNITY, ONCE I HAVE SERVER/SITE ACCESS. THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED PATIENCE & SUPPORT.

- SHAREEF

As you will see his "cheaper option" is a real bargain as now the cost of the server is only two or three times as much as other trackers so a real bargain
Old 2013-10-02, 11:52 AM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
Nah, you played it cool Just messin'. I'll have to step up my game next time!
I likely deserved a spanking, not sure about the "bare bottom" part though. Are you sure that's in the site guidelines?
Old 2013-10-02, 12:00 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

He's already edited today's "last chance" update to read (the emphasis is mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQueeF
AFTER EXTENSIVE TALKS WITH THE HOST, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT WE CAN MOVE TO THE NEW MACHINE (CHEAPER OPTION OF $425 MONTHLY) ON SATURDAY 5TH OCTOBER. ALL HUNGERCITY FILES & DATABASES ARE INTACT AND WILL BE READY FOR USE ON THE NEW SERVER.
instead of the earlier $395.

What a tool.
Old 2013-10-02, 12:09 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

I suppose that at least you could say we now have transparency as it's so easy to see through all the lies
Old 2013-10-02, 12:14 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugs View Post

What a tool.

And all in a beautiful shade of pink. I have a little story about the same shade of pink but you'd have needed to be there so I won't tell it.
Old 2013-10-02, 12:14 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaQueeF
AFTER EXTENSIVE TALKS WITH THE HOST, IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THAT WE CAN MOVE TO THE NEW MACHINE (CHEAPER OPTION OF $425 MONTHLY) ON SATURDAY 5TH OCTOBER. ALL HUNGERCITY FILES & DATABASES ARE INTACT AND WILL BE READY FOR USE ON THE NEW SERVER.

What a tool.
Unless you think the new donation address is really " [email protected]", you may want to view that post with a little skepticism, I dunno. My best guess is that all but the donation address is correct.
As U2Lynne pointed out many pages back, at one time TTD's monthly server cost was approaching $400 before they changed servers, so a figure around $400 is not out of line, though still more than twice the cost a frugal shopper might find.
Like most folks here and elsewhere on the interweb, I usually just take whatever is posted as gospel, I'm way too lazy to check it out for myself.
I don't want to say too much, I've got money on when this thread gets moved to the lounge, and I don't want to be accused of rigging the game.
Old 2013-10-02, 12:34 PM
Bugs
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Unless you think the new donation address is really " [email protected]", you may want to view that post with a little skepticism, I dunno. My best guess is that all but the donation address is correct.
I don't understand what you're driving at. Are you suggesting that RamesesII, in addition to changing the address that HC uses for email donations — which is obviously a joke (but thanks for treating me as if I were stupid; that's quite gracious of you) — lowered the donation cost from the $425 that ShaReeF posted to $395 and let the rest of the ShaReeF's post stand verbatim?

What purpose would that serve? Changing the donation address accomplishes two things, but what does lowering the alleged monthly operating cost of HungerCity by $30 accomplish, rhetorically, for RamsesII?
Old 2013-10-02, 12:51 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand what you're driving at. Are you suggesting that RamesesII, in addition to changing the address that HC uses for email donations — which is obviously a joke (but thanks for treating me as if I were stupid; that's quite gracious of you) — lowered the donation cost from the $425 that ShaReeF posted to $395 and let the rest of the ShaReeF's post stand verbatim?

What purpose would that serve? Changing the donation address accomplishes two things, but what does lowering the alleged monthly operating cost of HungerCity by $30 accomplish, rhetorically, for RamsesII?
As I stated, my best guess is that everything RamessesII posted is correct except the donation address. But as the post was partly real and partly fake, I have to view it with skepticism unless I'm willing to get off my lazy butt and look for myself.

My comment wasn't pointed at you specifically, I meant the editorial "You". In the future I'll try to use some word like "folks" instead so there is no confusion.

I believe the only dollar figure I used was $400, which is the amount U2lynne referred to. I was only trying to say that a cost in that range, which both $395 or $425 would fit, is not a red flag on it's own, just poor consumerism.
Old 2013-10-02, 12:57 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

Quote:

No idea what arf means Bugs - maybe he thinks the supposed costs are genuine or something. Apart from changing the email address the first post was as I copied and pasted it. I think the original message was in a different colour from the current putrid pink one. I still have HC set as my home page on Firefox so I see the latest message each time I fire it up. I can't remember when I last had so much fun. Can't wait for the next installment.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:00 PM
arfarf
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
$600 a month for server costs? Even when we had two servers and an outside backup site, we were running on less than $400 a month. When things got tough, I cut the backup (after having our host verify the status of the disks on the other server for me to do the backup on instead). We are now running on a more powerful server than before (with RAID 10 and 8 GB RAM) and paying less than for those two servers. Are they operating in the US? If so, I really think they should contact our host, QuickPacket, and ask about hosting there. We've been with QuickPacket since we started and they have always been good to us.
Here's the post from lynne that I was referrencing, so folks can find it easier.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:08 PM
311.16 GB/932.57 GB/3.00

HC has never had a good second server backup arf so you can halve the costs Lynne was talking about. It wasn't that long ago that the site went down (genuinely on that occasion I believe) and because there was no proper back up system a load of the newer torrents were lost stretching back a few weeks as I recall.

Migration to another server is, in effect, little more than copying and pasting from one drive to another. When I forgot to pay for one of my own web sites it was online again immediately as soon as I'd paid for it - just had to ftp the files to the server which took a couple of hours. If we are supposed to believe all the messages we've had about payment and non payment then HC should already be back online.

I'm intrigued to discover what he means by

THANKS TO ALL WHO HAD FAITH IN ME & HUNGERCITY. IT WILL NOT BE FORGOTTEN. WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN YOU FIND OUT WHO ARE FRIENDS AND WHO ARE NOT. THIS WILL ALSO NOT BE FORGOTTEN.

Is he going to send round his heavies to sort us out?

Last edited by RamesesII; 2013-10-02 at 01:16 PM.
Old 2013-10-02, 01:12 PM
I'm Tarzan, You Jane.
200.90 GB/3.32 GB/0.02

Would it be criminaly illegal to call this soap opera?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble