The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-12-05, 08:14 AM
152.86 GB/96.97 GB/0.63

Question Help with updating list?

Does anyone know if it is possible to scrape a hard drive for text files and export the results to a .xcl or .csv database. I've added a lot of shows over the past several years without updating my db.etree account and want a fast way to update a list. Did I mention that I'm extremely lazy? Any thoughts or software suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 2008-12-05, 11:02 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Re: Help with updating list?

this product - will generate a database of folder names (band - show - date)
and will also parse the text file in each folder (to add as notes)
this can then be published direct to web or exported ascii/.csv/.xls or .html

Quote:
How can I export my CD catalog to Microsoft Excel?

The simplest way to export CD data to Microsoft Excel is using intermediate ASCII text file. Follow the steps:
Export CD data to the ASCII file, using a distinctive set of delimiters, for example, quotes ('"') and commas (',').
Start Microsoft Excel and choose Open from the main menu. In the Open dialog, select Text Files in the 'Files of type' box.
In the Text Import wizard, indicate what set of delimiter characters was used while exporting to ASCII format.
this prog kicks ass, imo
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-12-05, 02:45 PM
Pottel
184.03 GB/284.91 GB/1.55

this thing is amazing. just downloaded it, already worth every penny, even before really having read how to use it..
Old 2008-12-15, 08:53 AM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

How would it work for a Vinyl list? Do you have to type everything, and if it had presets for label and stuff, can those be edited? Also could I scan the front, back, and label, then save them to the indvidule item? In other words when I look at the list, see the record, would I then be able to see the label, so I can compaire it what I have?
Thanks Mike
Old 2008-12-23, 03:36 PM
152.86 GB/96.97 GB/0.63

Thanks a lot for the help. I forgot about this post until today. I think i posted during a period of *ahem* "fogginess". The proggy sounds promising and I'l check it out as soon as I get home.
Old 2009-01-29, 03:32 PM
Pottel
184.03 GB/284.91 GB/1.55

i found an even better tool:
"Cathy"
http://www.mtg.sk/rva/
here a copy and paste of what it says on the guys' site:

An extremly small, very fast and easy to use media cataloging tool. You can use it to index files stored on removable media (CD's, DVD's or even diskettes), hard disks or net drives, and create searchable catalogs that can be used without having access to original media. Searching capabilities are based on file name, date and size. Additional features include filtering options, search duplicates or singles, customizable date format, etc. Found files can be opened (executed) or deleted directly, if they are present. Drag&drop support. Directory trees, MP3 album/song lists can be printed, disk space usage can be investigated. Single file executable, no install needed.
Version 2.28.2, 47 kB.
Version 2.25 translated to French by Colok & the brief French guide
Version 2.25 translated to Spanish by Willy Walker & the brief Spanish guide
Detailed user's guide in English (2.24)
Detailed user's guide in Polish (2.24)(thanks to Studio Arte)
Detailed user's guide in Slovak language (2.23)

Some user opinions :-)

I'm sorry, but the translations remain at version 2.20.4, because it would cost me too much time to upgrade them according to the current english version. For the same reason I support no more translations. (Cathy wasn't designed as multilanguage application.)
Cathy 2.20.4 translated to French, thanks KaKiSLoS.
Cathy 2.20.4 translated to German, thanks Thomas Bleil.
Cathy 2.20.4 translated to Spanish, thanks Javier García. Brief spanish tutorial to Cathy.
Cathy 2.20.4 translated to Italian, thanks Stefano Ballerini.
Cathy 2.20.4 translated to Dutch, thanks Jac Engel .

Created 2008-10-30
v2.28.2 - bug fixed for portability support
v2.28.1 - bug fixed for 32 char long volume labels
v2.28 - correct size saved even for files greater than 2GB
v2.27.1 - new menu option - create local playlists - for every album the selected root contains
v2.26 - Support for portability
v2.25 - Drop target implemented - drag a single drive or folder and drop it to Cathy to create a catalog

the tool is amazing. took me a few minutes to "get it" but then it was supereasy. and powerful/practical too.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble