The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-02-17, 01:48 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

cd-r media tests

In my on-going struggle to understand why my TDKs manufactured by Moser Baer India Limited are complete crap and my TDKs manufactured by CMC Magnetics Corporation are fine, I came across this web forum which others here might find useful. Personally, it's still a bunch of technological mumbo jumbo but I'm working on my understanding of it. I'm still not sure how to tell who is making my TDKs before I buy them but the spindles that say "Made in India" in small type on the label typically seem to be the crappy ones whereas "Made in China" seems to mean CMC.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33

I apologize if this link is already in here somewhere.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-17, 01:50 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: cd-r media tests

By the way, if anyone knows of a site that will tell me "If you have x burner and y cd player, burn z media at q rate" that would save me a lot of headaches.
Old 2005-02-17, 02:16 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Out of interest, do your Indian-made discs have a distinctive, strong smell a bit like dry cleaning fluid ?

Even if your burns go OK with CMC made discs, I'd recommend archiving things you really care about on something better...CMC are generally considered amongst the poorest manufacturers.
Old 2005-02-17, 02:42 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Out of interest, do your Indian-made discs have a distinctive, strong smell a bit like dry cleaning fluid ?

Even if your burns go OK with CMC made discs, I'd recommend archiving things you really care about on something better...CMC are generally considered amongst the poorest manufacturers.
Both the India and China spindles I have stink like something. Kind of smokey?
Old 2005-02-17, 07:07 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

might i just suggest, though you may already know this, that the only really "good" brands to stick with would be Taiyo Yuden OR Ritek [might i say these are the only two I personally know of...there might be others though]

i have used many other brands in the past but...those are the only two to trust really...you can get excellent deals on both brands online @ supermediastoreDOTcom [no i don't work there or know anyone who does]...DVDR media usually runs me between 35-40 cents a disc (buying 100 spindle, even cheaper in larger quantities) and CDRs between 25-30 cents, but alot of times they've got deals with em even cheaper or with free shipping...never had a problem and they're quick!

i personally stick with Taiyo's when it comes to CDRs and either TY or Ritek for DVDRs...trust me, you won't have the headaches down the line with "ruined" discs & other traders will appreciate it too...

cheers!
Old 2005-02-17, 07:10 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

mods--i hope i didn't break any "rules" by mentioning a retailer in the above post...just thought of it, so if i did, SORRY!!!

cheers!
Old 2005-02-17, 08:21 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
might i just suggest, though you may already know this, that the only really "good" brands to stick with would be Taiyo Yuden OR Ritek [might i say these are the only two I personally know of...there might be others though]

i have used many other brands in the past but...those are the only two to trust really...you can get excellent deals on both brands online @ supermediastoreDOTcom [no i don't work there or know anyone who does]...DVDR media usually runs me between 35-40 cents a disc (buying 100 spindle, even cheaper in larger quantities) and CDRs between 25-30 cents, but alot of times they've got deals with em even cheaper or with free shipping...never had a problem and they're quick!

i personally stick with Taiyo's when it comes to CDRs and either TY or Ritek for DVDRs...trust me, you won't have the headaches down the line with "ruined" discs & other traders will appreciate it too...

cheers!
The Fuji's I bought on the way home from work today were manufactured by Taiyo Yuden Company Limited. The question is how the heck do I know in advance that that's who manufactured them before I run the disc through Feurio? They say made in Japan but there was also some Fujifilms that were made in Taiwan. Different manufacturer? And what do the different types in cd info section mean? The Fuji's I bought are Type 1 the TDKs I have are Type 6.
Old 2005-02-18, 07:30 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
mods--i hope i didn't break any "rules" by mentioning a retailer in the above post...just thought of it, so if i did, SORRY!!!
No, posting links to retailers is not against TTD policy. Direct advertising is, but a user passing on recommended places to buy materials necessary for the hobby we're all involved in is not only permitted, but encouraged.

I know on STG there was even a stickied thread for posting links to DVD media deals...

By the way, I second the promotion of Ritek and TY. Right now I exclusively use Ritek, and think they are fantastic discs.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-02-18, 08:35 AM
521.62 GB/286.71 GB/0.55

For Fuji's: made in Japan = Good, anywhere else = Bad
Old 2005-02-18, 02:48 PM
195.72 GB/223.53 GB/1.14

Thanks to the good ppl on here, Raindawg and the other mods, I'm the proud owner of my first TY spindle and have not had one prob yet. Newegg.com is a great place to get them from too. The damn disks just feel better. I know that sounds strange but they just "look" like there better than the memorex shit I was using and am currently having to replace due to errors....some not even 6 months old. Sheesh. Get the TY's or riteks if you'd like your music to last longer than you.

TY spindle + Nero + burn @ 4X = Happiness.
Old 2005-02-18, 03:47 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Here's an interesting incident. The situation is this, my brand new Denon 380 cd player has not been reading my cd-rs (see TDK comments above). Last night on the way home from work I bough a TY spindle of Fujis, burned a disk at 4x with no ther programs running. My Denon still wasn't reading it. I put in a different TDK from about a month ago and it read fine. I held the two up to the light looking for differnces and noticed that I could see through the Fuji so this morning at work I slapped a label on my Fuji. I also stopped at a stereo store that sold Denon's and tossed the disk into a 380 to see if it would read. No problem. I get home for lunch and tossed the disc into my player. First try it didn't read. I tried a second time and it read fine after some sputtering.
I'm wondering if my laser is too strong for translucent discs? I'm also going to pack up my cd player and take it back to see if I can exchange it. It's only been 60 days since I bought it.
Anyone have a clue what else might be the case?
Old 2005-03-06, 04:10 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Update: In order to eliminate other options, I burned 4 disks on two differnet computers with two different burning software programs on two different media at 4x with no other programs running. The disks still weren't playing in my Denon so I took the disks back to the showroom where I bought my cd player and all of them worked fine in the floor model. I took my Denon in and had the focus bias adjusted, EF balance checked as well as the spindle and sled motors, laser power, rf signal, output level and distortion. It only took a week and was under warrantee. Problem solved. Everything plays fine now.
Old 2005-03-06, 04:45 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

There is no rule that one manufacturer is better than other. It very much depends on your burner. For example TY works like a crap with my LiteOn 811S, same with most Verbatims (MCC, Ricoch), except 'pastel' serie. The most reliable for my burner is TDK.

The only way to verify if the media doesn't not fail is it to make a test for PI/PIF errors with CD Speed, KProbe or Plextor Tools.
Old 2005-03-07, 06:44 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
There is no rule that one manufacturer is better than other. It very much depends on your burner. For example TY works like a crap with my LiteOn 811S, same with most Verbatims (MCC, Ricoch), except 'pastel' serie. The most reliable for my burner is TDK.
although the above statements may be true, they can be misleading. true, no one manufacturer is better than others. but a lot of evidence based on user's experience indicates that the vast majority of CDRs made by Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui (now MAM-A), and Kodak (R.I.P.) were/are of excellent quality. hence, one could deduce from this that the TY/Mitsui/Kodak manufacturers are/were better than others (such as CMC Magnetics).

from what i can tell, the post above really is pointed toward CDR media compatibility with CDR burners, not toward CDR media quality in terms of longevity. in my own experience, i once bought a spindle of TDK CDRs, yes [b]once[/]. in less than 6 months, some of the CDRs started flaking, some looked fine but were unreadable even in EAC and ISOBuster. because of that, i'd never buy TDK CDRs again, even if they were the least expensive discs i could find that were compatible with my CD burners.

for me the longevity of the media (how long the data will last) is more important than its compatibility on various CD burners.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble