The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-07-26, 06:57 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Question Jazz BT Forum?

Im sure this has been brought up before, but I was just wondering if the mods have ever thought of bringing a Jazz BT forum in (like S_G).

It was a great thing to have around, it really turned me onto a lot of jazz that i didnt know was out there, and it was most excellent for it to be sepereated from the regular stuff. The forum was most always happenin.

Thanks!

Cheers,
TOTO
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-26, 07:09 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: Jazz BT Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisistoto
Im sure this has been brought up before, but I was just wondering if the mods have ever thought of bringing a Jazz BT forum in (like S_G).
NO!

Just kidding of course. It's not my decision, but I don't see it happening any time soon. But if there is a lot of interest, you never know...
Old 2005-07-26, 08:15 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Old 2005-07-26, 09:39 PM
Jrref1756
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Being a Jazz musician myself, I'd love to see a jazz board up here. I get all my jazz from DIME but it's really few and far between...Plus if we get a jazz board going I have a lot of jazz stuff I wouldn't mind torrenting for the greater good. SO maybe if we wish real hard our dreams will come true!

-Sal
Old 2005-07-26, 10:06 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrref1756
...Plus if we get a jazz board going I have a lot of jazz stuff I wouldn't mind torrenting for the greater good. -Sal

u dont need a 'board/forum' to torrent jazz...just do it
Old 2005-07-26, 10:25 PM
Jrref1756
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Ok I will.....but I do have some questions on whats legal and whats not and the whole process.....so i realize that this isnt for this forum maybe you can PM me with some details or we can just talk about it? Anyone?

-Sal
Old 2005-07-26, 10:32 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrref1756
Ok I will.....but I do have some questions on whats legal and whats not and the whole process.....so i realize that this isnt for this forum maybe you can PM me with some details or we can just talk about it? Anyone?

-Sal
You can ask questions and discuss details in the Tehnobabble forum
Old 2005-07-26, 10:41 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

If we had enough Jazz here (I think we might have only a couple torrents right now) then we might think about having a Jazz forum. I do remember it being a success on STG (you can write that Toto).

As for what is legal, we have a Band Restriction Policy and it only contains a couple of bands.

If you just need help with correct lineage, we have a thread in Technobabble for that or you can write to any ABT Mod, or myself.

Old 2005-07-26, 11:30 PM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If we had enough Jazz here (I think we might have only a couple torrents right now) then we might think about having a Jazz forum. I do remember it being a success on STG (you can write that Toto).

I love ya lynne.

Yea with STG there wasnt a lot of jazz being torrented before the Jazz BT Forum. ANd after that it just took off.
Old 2005-07-28, 12:01 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
If you just need help with correct lineage, we have a thread in Technobabble for that or you can write to any ABT Mod, or myself.
yes, feel free to pm me all the info you have on a show and I'll reply. if you're feeling less shy, its even better to start a technobabble thread with the info for the fastest response.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-07-28, 09:01 AM
19.74 GB/47.30 GB/2.40

I don't do much posting but for this special thread I must jump in and say, "Yes, please, let's bring out a Jazz Forum, just to make this world a better place!"
Old 2005-07-28, 10:47 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'm all for it...agreed re: the fact that the Jazz Forum actually spurred alot more torrents than previously...whether or not the same would happen here, who knows...but i'm all for more jazz! until then, post it in ABT/VBT
Old 2005-07-28, 10:55 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Not that I'm against it, but I don't understand why people aren't uploading/discussing more jazz if they're really that interested. My stance is that if it shows great interest (by way of uploads/discussion), then "maybe" it should get it's own forum - but then wouldn't we have to create forums specifically for Bonnaroo, Live8 (maybe), U2, etc.? I see more of those posts/uploads than those of jazz. Of course we could always break down the forums by genre - just a thought.
Old 2005-07-28, 12:19 PM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Not that I'm against it, but I don't understand why people aren't uploading/discussing more jazz if they're really that interested. My stance is that if it shows great interest (by way of uploads/discussion), then "maybe" it should get it's own forum - but then wouldn't we have to create forums specifically for Bonnaroo, Live8 (maybe), U2, etc.? I see more of those posts/uploads than those of jazz. Of course we could always break down the forums by genre - just a thought.
Unfortunately though, it didn't work that way on StG... for whatever reason, a few folks pushed for a jazz forum there -- as people described -- it got created and people started posting. Even that site that shall not be named had a Jazz forum and a couple interesting shows were posted before it went down. Dime makes it very easy to sort on just jazz and avant-garde shows as well, as it does for other genres incidently, which lends support to the idea of multiple areas for multiple genres. I don't know why other genres weren't created on StG.

For example, I don't post jazz here (heck, I don't post shows much) in part because I don't see the interest -- and in part because I'm grabbing so many great shows from Dime I rarely have upload time. I mean the one interesting jazz show I've seen on here had only 12 completes. But are people interested in that seeing the show in between all of the Hendrix, Floyd, Doors and Zeppelin, etc? (no offense to those who enjoy those groups.)

Also, I think there is some pent-up demand, for example there is a separate mailing list related to (but not sponsored by) Dime for those interested in discussing the jazz torrents on that site. In part to replicate the old days of the StG forum.

My last comment, as I was a frequent contributor to that forum, is that one of the cool things was that for the longest time it flew under the radar in that discussion of music was allowed to be mixed with just jazz discussion (and later a subforum of the main group) -- so people could talk about the music. Something that seems to happen precious little in the 'Lounge' for example, or it is quickly sidetracked into irrelevant side discussions.
Old 2005-07-29, 02:11 AM
smile!
11.18 GB/48.46 GB/4.33

I agree very much with Jazzbo. Sometimes having a separate forum before there really is a demand, will eventually make things take off.

Although the Piano Bar was being used very little, there was still more music discussion - or at least, more interesting music discussion - in the Bar than there is now in the Lounge. The presence of The Bar also seemed to stimulate other types of discussion than there was in the lounge.

I guess my point is that sometimes supply can come before demand, especially in the cultural/intellectual sphere (a pompous way of saying it, but you get the idea.)

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions