The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2005-08-14, 02:09 AM
FEARANDLOATHINGINNJ
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Torrent to MP3 conversion

I'm new to torrents and was curious about the general attitudes towards converting torrents into lossy formats such as mp3. I saw some people saying in their seeds that they didn't mind. And if peope don't mind, how can it be done?
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-14, 02:17 AM
ilonarose
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Torrent to MP3 conversion

Unless you want to put it on your IPOD, why would you want to?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-08-14, 10:08 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

When people say they don't mind, they usually say "Do not convert to mp3 unless it is for your OWN PERSONAL USE". So, in other words, convert it to mp3 for your computer or iPod, but under no circumstances should you go and share those mp3s with anyone else. Only share the lossless files with others.

Old 2005-08-14, 02:23 PM
18.95 GB/8.96 GB/0.47

oh here we go...
Old 2005-08-14, 02:36 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

The idea, Mr Loathing, is to not pollute the trading pool with MP3 junk. If you want to convert them for your own use, like for an IPOD, that's what they are for.

If you trade MP3s to someone and they decide they need WMA for their litle PDA device, the WMA now have been through two different compression schemes. If that guy's buddy wants a copy, but he can only use MP3s, then Mr WMA converts the WMA files to MP3 and now those MP3s are worse than the original MP3, which should have never been traded to begin with, see?

So, basically, trade in lossless audio only. If someone doesn't know how to listen or convert them, take a few minutes to teach them. It's for the greater good. Lossy compression blows goats.
Old 2005-09-12, 08:27 PM
intron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

FEARANDLOATHINGINNJ,

There are plenty of reasons to maintain a lossless lineage, like jameskg has pointed out. Primarily it is so that the recordings that are being passed around are of high quality - particularly important for audiophiles.

However, if a lineage is required for every version (like SBD > APE) then I dont see why posting both a lossless torrent for the above as well as a lossy version (SBD >APE >MP3) is a bad thing. I know, I know, polluting the pool jameskg shouts. But, if a lineage is required then you guys that care about it, and can tell the difference when listening, can still retain the purity of the lossless version and those of us who cant tell (believe me, I have tried and a high quality mp3 rip is indistinguishable to my ears from the CD I rip it from) can save everyone a ton of bandwidth.

Another issue is disk space, especially with the multi-disk compilations. 4GB downloads that would simply be offlimits to many because of disk space and bandwidth considerations would likely be reduced by 1/4 and become much more manageable and accesible to more people.

FYI, there are other sites that offer both lossy and lossless formats, like archive.org that you may want to frequent along with this great community.

Like I said, dont get me wrong... I understand wanting to preserve a 'virgin' copy. I think its important, lossy formats do suck after multiple re-encodings. But I think that people who dont see the use for other formats are a lot like wine snobs who can only tolerate $200 wines that taste just as bad to me as the $20 bottle I bought at the supermarket.

FEARANDLOATHINGINNJ, if you decide you dont need to keep the FLAC files around for your personal use and want a hand converting them, send me a PM and I would be happy to help.

peace.
Old 2005-09-12, 10:30 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
The idea, Mr Loathing, is to not pollute the trading pool with MP3 junk. If you want to convert them for your own use, like for an IPOD, that's what they are for.

If you trade MP3s to someone and they decide they need WMA for their litle PDA device, the WMA now have been through two different compression schemes. If that guy's buddy wants a copy, but he can only use MP3s, then Mr WMA converts the WMA files to MP3 and now those MP3s are worse than the original MP3, which should have never been traded to begin with, see?

So, basically, trade in lossless audio only. If someone doesn't know how to listen or convert them, take a few minutes to teach them. It's for the greater good. Lossy compression blows goats.
Lossy compression is all Bush's fault.

Old 2005-09-12, 11:17 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Lossy compression is all Bush's fault.
maybe 3 left hands, then?
Old 2005-09-12, 11:21 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
maybe 3 left hands, then?
The more hands the better.

Old 2005-09-13, 12:07 AM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

another good example of a reason to hoard...
Old 2005-09-13, 12:18 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66

Old 2005-09-13, 02:40 AM
intron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66
i agree. i mean, why should you share your music with someone who has a different expectation for their music files? its not about sharing a great live experience with someone who couldnt be there for heavens sake!!! its about what you can get out of it.

like someone i know once said "they obviously dont appreciate art, we should just lock them out of the museum". right on.
Old 2005-09-13, 04:56 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by intron
i agree. i mean, why should you share your music with someone who has a different expectation for their music files? its not about sharing a great live experience with someone who couldnt be there for heavens sake!!! its about what you can get out of it.

like someone i know once said "they obviously dont appreciate art, we should just lock them out of the museum". right on.
Why don't we ask one of the great philosophers of the western world.....

Quote:
It's for the greater good.
Old 2005-10-18, 11:23 AM
mort
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
Why don't we ask one of the great philosophers of the western world.....

SHARING IS DEAD HOARDING IS THE WAV OF THE FUTURE

JUST ASK SLEEZER !
Old 2005-10-18, 11:59 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort
SHARING IS DEAD WHORING IS THE WAV OF THE FUTURE !
Damn, you been away for a few weeks, and suddenly you're all over the place.

What's up, MoMort, did your meds wear off?

Well, you weren't quite the philosopher we wanted to ask, but you just go ahead with your whoring, ninja.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?