The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-18, 12:56 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

getting DVD specs with software?

Is there a way to pop a DVDR video into your ROM and run some sort of software to tell you the bit rates and what not? WinXP would work but MacOSX.3 would be better for me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-18, 01:09 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Re: getting DVD specs with software?

cant help w/ Mac...but XP, i use gspot
http://www.audiophilia.net/gspot.shtml
instructions are there on the download page on how to use it. its pretty easy. basically just put the disc in the rom, open up gspot, browse for the file u want to check (PATH), select one of the VTS files and it gives the stats.

about your 'sig'...thats a fairly lame exscuse man...doesnt look like u're having any issues downloading. i'm sure its at a much faster speed, but that means u just need to stay on torrents a lot longer. you cant download everything and the USPS is much more effective anyway
good luck
Old 2006-01-18, 01:29 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Quote:
about your 'sig'...thats a fairly lame exscuse man...doesnt look like u're having any issues downloading. i'm sure its at a much faster speed, but that means u just need to stay on torrents a lot longer.
I haven't been d/l anything since I got XP and can't get my port configured properly. For what it's worth most of that d/l figure was before my new problem with the ports, and I would have to be connected for up to a week straight to get some shows. There is no feasible way I can stay on for THREE OR FOUR MORE WEEKS just to get to 1:1. I don't like it much either but that is the deal. I'm not trading much anymore but I come from the old school and have paid my dues with snail mail for over a decade and a half of tape trading. I also have recorded a thousand concerts so I hope I can just do as I do for now. When I am not broke I'll get a better connection and seed music again. The only reason I put that in my signature is because I do feel bad about it. I hope nobody really thinks I shouldn't have the right to d/l because of that. I kow you didn't say that but I hoope nobody feels that way.

Thanks for the scoop on the specs though. If anyone has a way to do it on MACOS please post it.
Old 2006-01-18, 02:02 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

For the mac, take a look at this thread:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=11204

Old 2006-01-18, 02:02 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleantone
The only reason I put that in my signature is because I do feel bad about it. I hope nobody really thinks I shouldn't have the right to d/l because of that. I kow you didn't say that but I hoope nobody feels that way.

Thanks for the scoop on the specs though. If anyone has a way to do it on MACOS please post it.
word...everyone has the right
i'm sure he'll see it here, but u could pm gsmyth about the ports & bitrates...he seems to know a lot about mac set ups.
i like the name, btw
Old 2006-01-18, 02:51 PM
261.58 GB/232.92 GB/0.89

Thanks to you both.
Old 2006-01-21, 06:07 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

from the progs i tested, MPEGStreamclip seemed to be the most accurate...if i remember correctly, you can choose individual .vob files and get the specs, as well as run all of the .vobs to get an avg bitrate [if VBR was used]...

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...treamclip.html
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24055
Old 2006-01-21, 06:37 PM
256.15 GB/348.70 GB/1.36

No experience on mac at all, but I assume it will have a software DVD player, right? All the Windows ones I've used have all given me the information by right clicking on the screen and choosing 'configuration' or 'properties' (depending on the program) and that will give you an overview of the video attributes.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble