The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2009-08-05, 05:31 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Thoughts?

live2cd sent this to me after seeing the spectrals (ald) for the billy/elton show i had posted. hard cut @ 15000, but noise all the way on up. he states that it is supposed to be from a silver cd released by oxygen in 1995(?) and that he received the files in trade.

full track

md>ana>flac or mp3>ana>flac are my guesses, but i'm puzzled.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fa.JPG
( 173.7 KB, 21 views)

File Type: jpg sa1.JPG
( 215.6 KB, 15 views)

File Type: jpg sa2.JPG
( 231.6 KB, 14 views)

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-08-05, 06:05 PM
312.21 GB/146.80 GB/0.47

Re: Thoughts?

Thanks for the thread, trustthex.
Old 2009-08-06, 12:39 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

what year is this one? seems like FM>analog>fx>silver>?extraction>flac kind of thing. doesn't resemble MD, only LP4 cuts off like that but if that were the case there would be big rectangles missing below 15kHz (see here).

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2009-08-06, 01:18 AM
312.21 GB/146.80 GB/0.47

Its a silver CD released 1995 by the Oxygen label.

http://membres.lycos.fr/chilibootsco...appy-front.jpg &
http://membres.lycos.fr/chilibootsco...happy-back.jpg

I got it in a trade probably 8 or 9 years ago, and the guy claims he burned it from the disc. Im just trying to validate it is non mp3 before I share.
Old 2009-08-06, 03:55 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five View Post
what year is this one? seems like FM>analog>fx>silver>?extraction>flac kind of thing. doesn't resemble MD, only LP4 cuts off like that but if that were the case there would be big rectangles missing below 15kHz (see here).

I'd go with FM broadcast, just from looking at it. The FM transmission system is limited to 15kHz and it brickwalls. There's never much above that anyway... try filtering to get just 15k-20k from a CD one day and listen to it... if you can hear it. Hardly anything up there. Strictly icing on the case for the main audio. Analog transmission would be so noisy up there, they just decided to lop it off when FM Stereo was created.

Usually, you'd see the 19kHz pilot tone (sinusoidal) there that tells the receivers to decode the differential mux into L and R... but not if the station switched the pilot off.. also, some (good) receivers will filter the 19kHz before output.. so you'd have all that noise up there from the demuxing process if the signal was poor.
Old 2009-08-06, 05:04 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

the carrier is also missing so it might be due to originally being captured to analog...

anyhow, the lineage on this according to what I read here is silver>CDR(1)>your ripping prog>flac

for ttd we are looking for a non-bootleg source without the eq & limiting (and whatever else the bootleggers might have used for fx), or failing that a direct rip from the silver using an error-correcting ripping program such as EAC including the log to verify that no errors occured. while your copy is not mp3 it is slightly tained by the extra generation and since this was broadcast somebody taped it, or failing that surfacing silvers exist in the hundreds (or more?) which can be located and ripped direct perfectly.

so you could seed this at another more slack site, but in the interest of sharing the best version available I would just try to find another more pure copy and post that instead.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?