The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-05, 07:06 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Re: Yellow Light for Months on All Torrents, Help Please

my norton firewall doesnt match up ports, just the program itself. Thanks for the help ted.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-05, 07:33 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I'm not familiar with Norton's firewall, but there should be a place where you can allow/block certain ports. Allowing a program access to the internet may not be enough. Don't assume all ports are open. You may have to specifically open them.

http://firewalling.com/personalfirew...alfirewall.htm

Check out the third image from the top and highlight your BT client. Click "Modify" or try the drop-down and click "Custom". See if one of those options gives you the ability to open the specific port you're using.

I'm sure other people use Norton and are able to BT successfully, but if a firewall doesn't support allowing/blocking traffic on individual ports, it's not much of a firewall. For security reasons alone, I'd recommend a different brand if Norton doesn't have this capability. Zone Alarm and Outpost are good ones, but if you're not willing to learn how to use them, they can be more of a security risk than one that "thinks" it knows what's best for the user.

Let me know if you still need help and I'll see what I can do. Also, check out the help file for "opening ports" and see if there is any information in there.

I'll be in/out for the next few hours, so if I may not see your next posts immediately. Maybe someone else will, or we can work on this over IM later today.
Old 2005-07-05, 07:49 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Hey Ted,

Doesnt look like Norton is the problem, i turned it off, restarded Bitorrent, and still that damned yellow light. I will try to play around with it and read through all the FAQs again. Thanks again for you help brother.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble