The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-01, 01:50 PM
529.86 MB/322.15 GB/622.59

Is a Image file from my master recording allowed?

I am a complete newbie to sharing my music that I have recorded. But I have 30 years in perfecting quality control in making masters. I want to start with a Ian Gillan from two days ago. The best quality I can make so far on to my computer is a cd image file. I did not like EAC. I did both and playing them both back in a A to B comparison, the image file won. Each cd is approx. 525Mb. I have no idea how to share. I will be one of the very rare members who will download nothing and only share one at a time from my list of exclusive masters. I did not come here to get music, only share what I have.
Regards Everyone
Code:
www.RicksRecordings.com
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-01, 02:16 PM
56.17 GB/77.19 GB/1.37

Re: Is a Image file from my master recording allowed?

Any difference between the sound of the image file and the EAC extraction would have to come from somewhere else in the audio chain. The 1's and 0's in the musical content of each are identical, apart from perhaps one or two errors in the CD image but that wouldn't affect the overall sound.

Black Keys - I Got Mine
Tintern Abbey - Vacuum Cleaner
Old 2006-09-01, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffooky
Any difference between the sound of the image file and the EAC extraction would have to come from somewhere else in the audio chain. The 1's and 0's in the musical content of each are identical, apart from perhaps one or two errors in the CD image but that wouldn't affect the overall sound.
That was not my question.
Old 2006-09-01, 09:56 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Is this a show you recorded and so you aren't sure how to transfer it properly? Because I'm sure people could talk you through a proper transfer.

The short answer is no, we don't allow image files. If the show is converted to flac, it is about 60% of the original wav size. And, if you are talking about an iso of one huge wave track, then everyone will end up spliting it in a different way and you will end up with who knows how many different 'versions' of your show in circulation.

I'm not sure what type of computer you are on or whether you want to learn how to torrent a show in flac, but if you are interested, I know that there are many knowledgeable users here who would be more than willing to help you learn.

Old 2006-09-02, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Is this a show you recorded and so you aren't sure how to transfer it properly?
Yes it is. I need help with sharing it.
Quote:
if you are talking about an iso of one huge wave track, then everyone will end up spliting it in a different way and you will end up with who knows how many different 'versions' of your show in circulation.
I made the master cd on a stand alone burner tracking on the fly. I then made a ISO file from this master cd. I converted it to Bittorrent file. But this still is not allowed. Right?

Quote:
I'm not sure what type of computer you are on
Windows XP Pro
Quote:
if you are interested, I know that there are many knowledgeable users here who would be more than willing to help you learn.
Please.

BTW U2Lynne, Can I assume that you are a big U2 fan? I am indeed the one who taped the U2 shows 4-29-87 and 10-29-87 Horizon.
Regards Rick
Old 2006-09-02, 11:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What type of equipment do you have? Most tapers that I know will feed the sound into their computer, track the show there, and then there is never any reason to have to deal with EAC. However, if you like to do your CDs on a standalone, then you really do want to use EAC to extract the wav files onto your computer. Then, you just throw them into Traders Little Helper and end up with flac files which you then make a torrent of. If we can get more info on your setup, then I'm sure we can get someone to help figure out the best way to share your shows.

Re U2. I guess you are from Chicago based on your U2 recordings (or at least, at the time you were). 4-29-87 is one of my all time favorite shows. If fact, I'm about to take off for the weekend and went to grab that show for the car ride and I freaked out because it wasn't there. Then I remembered that it was probably in my bag of shows that I would always take on summer vacation and sure enough, it was there. What a fun time to see U2. I love shows from the JT era.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble