The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-10-16, 02:33 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Determining The Better Quality File

As can be determined from my previous posts, I'm still learning. Situation :

When I place the mouse cursor over a music track the attached image pops up. If I have the same tune from a different source AND rip and it is the same format (flac) can I expect the same identical specs to appear? In other words, are all rips equal? Does this image even qualify/contain the proper information to make such a determination? If not, what would I do/use to choose the better quality file?

thank you

Last edited by MourningStar; 2010-10-16 at 02:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-10-16, 02:48 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Re: Determining The Better Quality File

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EC-1.jpg
( 61.2 KB, 92 views)

Old 2010-10-17, 03:36 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Your ear is your best friend. Those are just numbers.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:11 AM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
non-responsive. i'm collecting for someone else. one's ears are as eyes and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. thnx anyways.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:57 AM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
Another thought to this response. Numbers do not lie. However, eyes and ears do deteriorate. Just wanting to provide the best from a technological perspective. Otherwise, I can provide my friend mp3's (and a greater quantity of material to boot!).
Old 2010-10-17, 12:10 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiKano View Post
Another thought to this response. Numbers do not lie. However, eyes and ears do deteriorate. Just wanting to provide the best from a technological perspective. Otherwise, I can provide my friend mp3's (and a greater quantity of material to boot!).
... I was just hoping to make a determination from a raw-numbers, analytical perspective and take the fault-ridden human out of the equation. The rip scenario would be totally unknown.
Old 2010-10-17, 07:14 PM
TTD Hoarder
TTD Staff
326.11 GB/317.06 GB/0.97

It's really quite subjective, as you know. You could open up a file in an audio editor, to get a look at the overall level & see if there are any clips, etc. But that won't tell you if one is from a better/lower-gen source than another. Then it just comes down to listening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
Sometimes im dense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I hate not being a real man.
Old 2010-10-18, 06:33 AM
co9ol
303.62 GB/388.57 GB/1.28

I'm not sure if this is what your asking, but theoretically if the same CD was riped using two different drives using different software (as long as it was software that's approved by TTD) and both encoded to what ever level of Flac, they are the same quality. One should not be better than the other. Even if one was encoded with half the FLAC compression as the other, they should be the same. Now if your asking how to tell what source to choose when comparing two different bootlegs, then just choose the one that sounds better to you.
Old 2010-10-18, 11:02 AM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by co9ol View Post
I'm not sure if this is what your asking, but theoretically if the same CD ....
and if it was not the same cd BUT the same tune? e.g. one from album A and another from a so-called re-mastered, re-whatever version. peoples, why is it so simple to determine the better quality among mp3 versions, but with lossless everybody is all like, hey man - it's up to your ears to decide. Right! I (and others too) have heard some, but not much, but still, lossy stuff sound way better that some lossless. I know there is more to it and I will find it.

have a nice day & thnx,
Old 2010-10-18, 11:32 AM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
and if it was not the same cd BUT the same tune? e.g. one from album A and another from a so-called re-mastered, re-whatever version. peoples, why is it so simple to determine the better quality among mp3 versions, but with lossless everybody is all like, hey man - it's up to your ears to decide. Right! I (and others too) have heard some, but not much, but still, lossy stuff sound way better that some lossless. I know there is more to it and I will find it.

have a nice day & thnx,
Lastly, as I just recalled, I have heard people sing praises of certain cd's when they first came out compared to later re-releases. a thought ...
Old 2010-10-18, 11:47 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

when discussing "better quality" with mp3s, yer talkin about compression quality...i.e. one is way more compressed, therefore losing more frequency spectrums and sounding more muddied or tunnel-y or swish-y -- this is objective

when it comes to lossless audience recordings, "better quality" has to do with type of recording gear [quality of mics, etc], location & mic config/placement, if recorded to analog the number of generations/transfers, etc...this gets a bit more subjective, although is still objective in some regards

then when it comes to people's "re-masters", it gets even more subjective...very few re-masters floating around are done by someone with the knowlege and equipment to do a proper job...there are a lot of collectors these days who have a copy of some basic audio editing program, think they're an engineer, do some tweaking on a recording cuz they think "it sounds better", and presto -- another re-mastered version circulating...most of the time they've done nothing but polluted the pool with shite, but whatever...

this is why people are telling you -- listen and decide which version think is better
Old 2010-10-18, 11:49 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Lastly, as I just recalled, I have heard people sing praises of certain cd's when they first came out compared to later re-releases. a thought ...
if you mean studio albums, yes i usually prefer the original release to the new re-mastered version where they used too much compression and then boosted the overall level til its hot as hell...this gets rid of all the dynamics of the recording...one of the best examples i can think of is the original release of the Allman Bros "Eat A Peach" on vinyl compared to the re-mastered re-release on CD
Old 2010-10-18, 01:43 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

^
well, there you go, see? There has to be a way of "seeing" this obvious difference without the ears.
Old 2010-10-18, 06:08 PM
58.94 GB/221.50 GB/3.76

Quote:
^
well, there you go, see? There has to be a way of "seeing" this obvious difference without the ears.
Perhaps the analysis tools in question are cost-prohibitive at this level, and reside in generously-funded law-enforcement and/or intelligence agencies.
Old 2010-10-18, 11:43 PM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

Quote:
Quote:
^
Perhaps the analysis tools in question are cost-prohibitive at this level, and reside in generously-funded law-enforcement and/or intelligence agencies.
or artificial intelligence

this odds of this protocol droid not being able to determine the best sounding bootleg source are approximately 5473 to 1.

Threepio is more of a SBD droid though. R2D2 will take a nice mic source in the sweet spot any day over a dry, sterile board.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble