The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-21, 02:00 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Why Not Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
And if you really don't like these imbedded messages, I suggest that on the next DVD that you film and author -- I suggest that you lead by example and don't include that imbedded graphic.

Take the high moral ground and lead by example....

Lead by example, you can do it, I'm betting that you can ......
If I ever film a show, or seed an uncirculated show, or author a show, it will be without any graphics or messages added by me on the performace footage/audio content of the show, guaranteed.

But there is no moral high ground, it is a free for all, right? It is all subjective? Rules are made to be broken? Put whatever the fuck you want on a DVD?

This is a no-win situation, isn't it?

Tapers are under no obligation to seed anything, but hoarding? Well, I have never understood that.
Old 2007-06-21, 02:04 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: No Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg
Touchy
Will you please, please stop trolling ...

You've been told previously that nobody wants to get touch-ie OR feel-ie with you.

Please go back the Lounge and troll over there, you're needed in the random thoughts thread....Powderfinger wants to slap you around again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2007-06-21, 02:12 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Why No Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
............Tapers are under no obligation to seed anything, but hoarding? Well, I have never understood that.
Its simple to understand also.

Live and Let Live. Don't try to impose your value system on the rest of the world.

What you consider hoarding, others may not.

Live and Let Live.

right?

Quote:
Old 2007-06-21, 02:22 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Live and let live is fine, sometimes, especially if no one gets hurt. But to have no rules or standards (or lax ones) is total chaos and leads to pollution of the trading pool.
Old 2007-06-21, 03:04 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Why Not Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos

Quote:
Live and let live is fine, sometimes, especially if no one gets hurt. But to have no rules or standards (or lax ones) is total chaos and leads to pollution of the trading pool.
How did you get to the pollution of the trading pool from the topic of "No Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos" ???

Why would you think that a DVD - with proper and correct lineage - albeit with imbedded text pollutes the trade pool?

"No one gets hurt...." We're talking about a few clandestinely made videos here, not drunk driving or 'weapons of mass destruction'. Certainly those 4 or 5 DVDs, which you don't "need" is not going to "change the price of rice in China", hmmmm? And them 5 or so DVDs certainly won't change policy at TTD....

"No one gets hurt" .... And no one gets hurt if you don't like the way the DVD is authored. You can delete it and do without that particular recording, right?

But I am curious now.....Why would you think that a DVD - with proper and correct lineage - albeit with imbedded text pollutes the trade pool?

Is that where you were headed all along?

Did you want these imbedded-text/graphics videos banned immediately?

Do you consider that these specific DVDs pollute the trade pool??? Am I understanding you correctly?

Say, if you really want to talk about polluting the trade pool, lets talk about 'lineages'!!!

Bogus and fraudulent lineages are what really pollute the trade pool. WAY more so than a miniscule number of DVDs with imbedded text or images.

Well, hell, go on and bring up lineages while talking about pollution of the trade pool also. Its a favorite topic of mine, ESPECIALLY the ongoing observance of particular band communities in falsifying lineage.

You wanna start discussing fake, false or bogus lineages, ok, lets do it.

But it's likely that bringing up what really pollutes the trade pool, we will get the thread that you started shut down.

Lineages, Pollution of the trade pool, NOW those are really touchy subjects at TTD.........

Quote:
Old 2007-06-21, 03:33 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Well if a show is broadcast on TV, then lots of people will have taped it at home. So someone then authors a DVD of the show with the embedded security scroll, and several people complain. Someone else aquires a master tape of the same show and decides to author another version of it and seed it, this time without the security scroll. It isn't an upgrade (well I would consider it to be), as both versions are from high quality masters that were recorded on decent gear. Now there are two choices for the same show, and twice as much work was done to get the "same" show out. Wanna b&p it for me? Which version do you have, I only want the one without the scroll?

My goal was to get a reseed/remaster of these shows without the security scroll and try to stop a trend, but it'll probably never happen, oh well. Someday all shows may have a security scroll. Hell, someday TTD may REQUIRE an embedded security scroll because it helps to prevent Ebay sales. Preventing sales is the most important thing, after all.

However, a seller could easily set up shop at a flea market for a few hours and make a ton of money selling boots with a security scroll to unsuspecting buyers. Then he could split and no one would have had the opportunity to go home and watch them, then come back and complain that he shouldn't have sold them, but freely traded them instead.

If a DVD with a security scroll was sold online, could the buyer even get their money back, legally speaking, even if a security scroll is present?

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-06-21 at 03:41 AM.
Old 2007-06-21, 08:00 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Preventing sales is the most important thing, after all..
..If a DVD with a security scroll was sold online, could the buyer even get their money back, legally speaking, even if a security scroll is present?
Ok... now you are turning into one of those 'anti-bootleg vigilantes'.
I can also tell you are 25 or younger. Here enjoy some history:

the only way to acquire bootlegs 20 years ago and before was at record fairs, street vendors & your local record shop. they were on vinyl & cassette & VHS.
Record shops used to get raided for this kind of activity.

10 yrs ago - the RIAA used to slam sites that were doing what this site & DIME..are doing (big fines $$$$$$)

Today.. they have given up - there is still no such thing as a 'free ride'.

you dont own what you are downloading & could probably be prosecuted for it - no bullshit.

If ebay keeps you awake at night. I suggest you get in touch with Chachi420 & start a crusade!!
dont count me in - Im just as guilty for downloading..so are you.. you just dont realize it.

the Video message thing is a 'new trend' - it will go away - its kinda goofy.

could you get your money back for buying a 'free trade disc'.
dude, you are high...
that is like a prostitute calling the cops cause her 'john' stiffed her..

enjoy the clue
Old 2007-06-21, 09:34 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
I agree with this for the most part, but what if someone filmed something him/herself and then added all kinds of trippy, psychedelic effects, or a box in the corner of the screen with him/herself playing air guitar/air drums along with the lead guitarist/drummer? What seems right to an individual might not be what is best for the rest of the community. If it was the only or "best" video of a show, then there would be people rightly clamoring for a version without the effects. If the effects were added by the camera during filming, then there is not much that can be done to undo it.
I don't know which DVD you are talking about. but sometimes people add effects/slideshows to fill in gaps of video that are not present. It's kinda like patching an audio source with another if yours had gaps/problems.

When I make DVDs I try to put chapter marks at the end of these sections so that you can skip through them if there is a large section without video. Personally, I enjoy having the whole show even if it has a slideshow for 2-3 minutes. and I think that is the general consensus of the "community." If there is a huge section of video missing I'll cut it . or not share it.

I hope you understand why you are catching flack for your comments. Can you imagine someone saying.... You should have used this kind of capsule if you were that close to the stage recording. or Why did you transfer your tape through so and so sound card, it adds distortion. Be happy for what you get. That's all I'm saying.

It's one thing taking comments/suggestions from someone who has experience/reputation with what they are discussing it's another taking suggestions from someone who has not authored anything themselves. Your comments read like demands not suggestions also.
Old 2007-06-21, 12:28 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

I agree with Tubular. Putting scrolling graphics onto your DVD is dumb.
Old 2007-06-21, 02:34 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Why Not Graphics/Text Scrolls added by author on show footage of DVD-videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
I agree with Tubular. Putting scrolling graphics onto your DVD is dumb.

Then don't YOU do it, its OK, you don't have to, if you don't want to.

You are not obligated to do so. Live and Let Live.

For those that do put scrolling graphics or imbedded text, it's ok also. Who cares. It's only a tempest in a teapot.

Live and Let Live.

That's a pretty simple concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
the Video message thing is a 'new trend' - it will go away - its kinda goofy
Agreed, it is goofy.....but maybe it won't go away.

OR maybe the tapers/filmers could take this "new trend" to a higher lever.........What about corporate sponsors for tapers/filmers?

Maybe some big corporation would like to buy a few tapers/filmers some new stealth recording equipment in return for imbedding commercials in their recordings?

How'd you like to see a few ads for Coca-Cola or Ford Ram Trucks in your next AUD DVD? Or maybe Microsoft, so you can see Bill Gates' smiling kisser hawking his wares inbetween "Start Me Up" and "Gimme Shelter" on someone's DVD of last night's show?

The mind boggles at the very notion..........

Quote:
Old 2007-06-21, 02:56 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Then don't YOU do it, its OK, you don't have to, if you don't want to.

You are not obligated to do so. Live and Let Live.

For those that do put scrolling graphics or imbedded text, it's ok also. Who cares. It's only a tempest in a teapot.

Live and Let Live.

That's a pretty simple concept.
Agreed. Live and Let Live. Merry Christmas Everyone.

AND YET - nothing has changed...it's still dumb to put scrolling graphics and text on your DVDs.
Old 2007-06-21, 03:00 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Quote:
OR maybe the tapers/filmers could take this "new trend" to a higher lever.........What about corporate sponsors for tapers/filmers?
Now we're talking. I'm accepting offers. DrPepper if you're reading this, I'd love for you to sponsor me. Just send me the money and we we'll work it out. . I'm filming 5 shows next week. Better Hurry.
Old 2007-06-21, 03:12 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:

Maybe some big corporation would like to buy a few tapers/filmers some new stealth recording equipment in return for imbedding commercials in their recordings?

How'd you like to see a few ads for Coca-Cola or Ford Ram Trucks in your next AUD DVD? Or maybe Microsoft, so you can see Bill Gates' smiling kisser hawking his wares inbetween "Start Me Up" and "Gimme Shelter" on someone's DVD of last night's show?

The mind boggles at the very notion..........
you may have something big here.
how about this..
for the free trade community - put the banner & text - lots & often.

then for a small donation of $20 - to support 'the tapers fund' - you get the 'banner free/ad free/text free' version.

all donations are to support the taper,
and allow them the opportunity to upgrade their equipment frequently
+ ease the travel expence to shows.

Old 2007-06-21, 03:30 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet
Agreed. Live and Let Live. Merry Christmas Everyone.

AND YET - nothing has changed...it's still dumb to put scrolling graphics and text on your DVDs.
Happy Easter to you too.....

Sure its dumb, but whining about imposing your will all over somebody else's generosity is the really dumb concept here...

And saltman, Dr. Pepper is down with you for the next 10 shows you film. Dr. Pepper will buy your tickets, all-new recording gear and day-of-show meals with bar tab. You're expected to put in only 3 ads, plus you have to sticker your new gear with the Dr. Pepper logo. You also must wear their logo cap to hide your mics and you and your crew are getting Dr. Pepper logo jackets, and a year supply of Dr. Pepper for everybody in your pit crew. Happy taping.....

Quote:
Old 2007-06-21, 03:48 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Sure its dumb
I agree.
Closed Thread

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions